Boots and gaiters or wellies????

bentbarrel

In a pigeon hide or if I'm standing around in the rain I'm happy to wear wellies. But if I've got to do much walking I'll always wear proper boots. I've got dodgy ankles which turn really easy on rough ground, so I prefer the ankle support that leather boots provide when beating. Recently, I've been wearing leather walking boots with gaiters, but the boots themselves are knocking on a bit and aren't very waterproof. I've just had a hunt around in the attic and dug out some Matterhorn military style leather boots I bought from a US PX in Germany about 12 years ago. They're Goretex and Thinsulate lined and as warm as toast. Those with some knee length Goretex gaiters and cheap waterproof over trousers if its really hoofing it down, is ideal when beating

You can get away with wellies all the time, as I do, but thats because I have no other choice at the moment! I saw a pair of aztrek brasher boots in TK Maxx for around £70, not bad if you ask me. Plus they had some karrimor's with vibram soles for a tenner less.

Wellingtons and waterproof leggings are a good combination.

In a pigeon hide or if I'm standing around in the rain I'm happy to wear wellies. But if I've got to do much walking I'll always wear proper boots. I've got dodgy ankles which turn really easy on rough ground, so I prefer the ankle support that leather boots provide when beating. Recently, I've been wearing leather walking boots with gaiters, but the boots themselves are knocking on a bit and aren't very waterproof. I've just had a hunt around in the attic and dug out some Matterhorn military style leather boots I bought from a US PX in Germany about 12 years ago. They're Goretex and Thinsulate lined and as warm as toast. Those with some knee length Goretex gaiters and cheap waterproof over trousers if its really hoofing it down, is ideal when beating

get your self some sealskinz light or mid thermal socks there 100% water proof i've just bought some for about £19 for my brother off chainreaction cycles website there fantastic mate i use the gloves and have used the socks can't recomend them enough they do what they say on the tin

i always wear goretex over trousers now, so during spring and autumn i wear wellies with them, but in summer and winter i wear boots (extra support and warmer than wellies), usually only wear gaiters in winter if its going to be muddy or snowy, and even then its just to keep the goretex trousers covering the boots and stop snow/mud/water getting in

Anyone able to recomend any good gaiters? :good:

The Barbour wax cotton ones.

And it's boots and gaitors all day long for me, you get ankle support and if your boots are any good they will keep your feet warm.

You only need wellies if you are stood in water over about 6" deep for a while, if you get your foot in/out quickly water won't wick up inside good tight fitting gaitors.