new toy

stokie

mod or not  

52 members have voted

1. 1. mod

• moderated
    • not moderated

Have just bought myself a chrimbo pressy .

Its a 223 remington 700 varmint . Which is the heavy barrel

It used and in fair condition with 9x32x50 scope. Went to try it out tonight and am well impressed .

My question to you in the know is that its not screw cut and I find it bloody loud .

So do you bother with mods on your guns as im told its only a british trend

The dealer I bought it from can get it me screwcut and proofed for £60. Plus mod

So would you bother or not

hope the poll works not done one before

I bought a T8 with my .223 and sold it in six months but it really depends on what type of shooting you do, I walk fairly large bits of land with night vision on mine so the forward heavy weight was a killer on my back.

If however you drive around in a 4x4 taking shots of a rest then get one as it saves the hassle of ear defenders or going deaf.

I suppose if I was getting a heavy barrel screw cut then I would consider getting it shortened too if you have a decent gunsmith or you are going to have a bloody heavy gun.

using a centrefire at night especially un moderated is going to get you unwanted attention, firstly you'll be waking up anyone within a half mile radius and setting their dogs off etc its pretty anti social to put it at best, moderated they still are far from silent but it does tame them a fair bit and as said saves wearing ear defenders

You dont mention what you intend to use the rifle for... ?

If it's to be a fox/vermin rifle, then - I would have it screw cut for a mod without a doubt, a mod will also reduce the felt recoil / muzzle flip.

For light Muntjac stalking, I perhaps wouldn't bother mind :yes:

Its going to be for Fox . Mainly shooting from the Landrover bonnet

We dont shoot close to houses or built up areas but I think it could probably be heard three counties away :yes::)

Think its obvious that I need screw cutting and a moderator , just wanted other opinions. Thanks guys

I would not shoot without either a Moderator or if no Mod a decent pair of "Ear Defenders" the clue is in the title.

Prolonged blasts from rifles or shotguns WILL damage your hearing for life without hearing protection.

Have a look at Jet "Z" also, i have one on a 30.06 and a Utra S5 on a 22.250 both good but i think the Jet Z is lighter :blush:

But please look after your hearing as a shooter it is important to you.

I wouldn't think twice about getting a .223 barrel chopped, I had mine done and it was one of the best decisions I have made (which isn't saying much I know :good: )

What's the minimum length to go for though. I know there is a legal limit but would that be too short for a .223 anyway? I know with a rimfire the legal limit is fine as it's about the same length as the powder takes to burn but would a .223 need something longer (slower burning powder? ... or just more of it!)

The legal limit is 300mm for the barrel, and 600mm overall, and you're already getting into some of the reasons why its a bad idea. You'll interrupt the twist rate, harmonics, and need a proper re crowning job doing. On the up side, as the barrel gets shorter, it becomes (proportionately) thicker, and thus more rigid which will probably make it more accurate, and the velocity drop will be negligable. Shortening will kill its re sale value.

you wont lose to much velocity with a .223 about 30 fps per inch.I use a .243 with a 26 inch barrel and a jet-z mod and a custom 6mmbr with a 24 inch barrel and a A-tec mod on for all my fox control and them two mods work great would not be with out them.

The legal limit is 300mm for the barrel, and 600mm overall, and you're already getting into some of the reasons why its a bad idea. You'll interrupt the twist rate, harmonics, and need a proper re crowning job doing. On the up side, as the barrel gets shorter, it becomes (proportionately) thicker, and thus more rigid which will probably make it more accurate, and the velocity drop will be negligable. Shortening will kill its re sale value.

are you on about shotguns or rifles, or mixing the two?

I got my .223 threaded and had my local RFD/Gunsmith put a T8-AR moderator on it all for £250 and the bonus thing is i can take it off my .223 and screw it onto my .22-250, and as far as kent police are concerned i only need to register the one mod on my ticket as a .223 and leave my .22-250 moderator slot free and un-used ready for a variation.

Have been quoted £60 for screwcut and proof and £220 for T8 mod .

I think thats what im going to do . How much are the other in comparison or are the others better . If im shelling out that sort of money then I want the best .....

Took the rifle out today to check zero and it groups at 3 inches at 210 yds . Usin privi partisans @ £9 per 20 it loved them .

Also tried winchester x1 and it shot no better , they were £16 per 20 . so privi it is then