adding gun to sgc

mpk

hi guys looking for some advice , i was speaking to a friend earlier about adding new guns to sgc. I have had my about a year now and he said that in your first five years you should only add one yearly or longer because plod will start questioning why you need them?. Surely this cant be correct! surely once you have a license you can put what you want when you want ?. probably sounds stupid but just looking to clarify

cheers all :good:

As above, you can add as many as your cabinet will hold - your firearms officer should have told you how many - normally cabinet capacity +1 (unless you're in a high crime area/poor security etc.) and he/she will normally note this at the firearms dept so that if you write in with one too many, they'll pop round and review your security arrangements.

If in doubt, check with your local firearms dept.

cheers for the replies guys , as i thought ,but more importantly the timescales you add them to your license , has this ever been a problem for anyone as i was told it will get questioned if i was to add half my limit in the space of one year sorry if im sounding stooopid

cheers

had my cert just over 12 months now.

was told by my feo on his visit that after looking at my cabinet i wouldn't hear from them until i registered my 8th shotty.

he said the cabinet i fitted would fit 7. :good:

have bought and sold 6 shotties since having sgc :good: and not heard anything from them, so i wouldn't worry about it.

had my cert just over 12 months now.

was told by my feo on his visit that after looking at my cabinet i wouldn't hear from them until i registered my 8th shotty.

he said the cabinet i fitted would fit 7. ???

have bought and sold 6 shotties since having sgc :good: and not heard anything from them, so i wouldn't worry about it.

brilliant thats cleared that up and were in kinda the same area so happy days cheers again guys :good:

What they don't like to see is a rapid turnover in guns which would suggest to them that you are acting as a dealer. But if you buy a gun and its no good so you change it again for something else thats fine. They may ask you what happened but you just have to tell them.

Some people are forever changing their guns.

I had a crazy spell buying cheap old guns and selling them on. I have whittled them down to 3 that I have most use for so I can get a rimfire or so in the cabinet and then centre fire when I can afford one.Providing I get my FAC of course.The FEO did pop round to check I could keep them all secure when I had a few and was pretty generous in saying how many my 2 cabinets could take.

The number of guns advertised by the maker for your cabinet is totally irrelevant. If you can fit the gun in the cabinet and lock the door securely then you have complied with Home Office guidelines.

If the Police tell you that you can only have 5 guns in a 5 gun cabinet then that is a lie. It has been known that some CPOs make up their own rules and try to enforce them in their own patch (5 guns in a 5 gun cabinet) being one of them.

Firearms law is fickle enough in the UK without no-elected bodies making up more rules on a whim.

If you want to stand your ground I would suggest politely making this point and enlisting the help of one of the recognised organisations to help you, BASC being a favourite to fight your corner.

TH

The number of guns advertised by the maker for your cabinet is totally irrelevant. If you can fit the gun in the cabinet and lock the door securely then you have complied with Home Office guidelines.

Exactly. When I told my FEO I had a 3 gun cabinet, he said it didnt matter and i could probably get 5 or 6 guns in it if i wanted to. Saying that, he has never actually checked or inspected my cabinet. Ive subsequently sold the 3 gun cabinet and have a 7 gun one now, so will be interesting to see if it flags up anything when i get more guns.

When me FEO came round to inspect she didn't put a max number that I could hold, but did say if I put more than 5 in the cabinet then I would have to put an alarm on the cabinet. it currenty holds a 22 rimmy, 243 and a shotgun so no probs. She told me that this was home office guidelines, and if I had more than 10 then I would need a house alarm. Not sure if this is HO guidelines or just her interpretation.

If the Police tell you that you can only have 5 guns in a 5 gun cabinet then that is a lie. It has been known that some CPOs make up their own rules and try to enforce them in their own patch (5 guns in a 5 gun cabinet) being one of them.

Firearms law is fickle enough in the UK without no-elected bodies making up more rules on a whim.

If you want to stand your ground I would suggest politely making this point and enlisting the help of one of the recognised organisations to help you, BASC being a favourite to fight your corner.

TH

:good: As long as you can get the door shut and locked you're covered! :blush:

When me FEO came round to inspect she didn't put a max number that I could hold, but did say if I put more than 5 in the cabinet then I would have to put an alarm on the cabinet. it currenty holds a 22 rimmy, 243 and a shotgun so no probs. She told me that this was home office guidelines, and if I had more than 10 then I would need a house alarm. Not sure if this is HO guidelines or just her interpretation.

I think in the 2002 Guidance you are required to get a house alarm is you have 12 or more

Mark

Edited by Breastman

:good: As long as you can get the door shut and locked you're covered! :blush:

I think in the 2002 Guidance you are required to get a house alarm is you have 12 or more

Mark

Im told Cambs Police set a limit of 15 before an alarm has to be installed so it might be a particular forces interpretation of guidelines.