Eastern Sporting in Chelmsford charge £50 for a RFD transfer?

njc110381

OH MY GOD!!! They're having a laugh right? The woman said it took her half an hour to sort it so she charges £30 on top of the £20 TNT fee? I bought the gun privately so it's not the sellers fault but I just had to ring them to check they weren't taking the p***! I can't believe that, nobodys ever charged me that much before! Most dealers just want £25!

I'm shocked. If that was my local dealer they wouldn't be seeing me again. I feel well and truly bent over! :good:

OH MY GOD!!! They're having a laugh right? The woman said it took her half an hour to sort it so she charges £30 on top of the £20 TNT fee? I bought the gun privately so it's not the sellers fault but I just had to ring them to check they weren't taking the p***! I can't believe that, nobodys ever charged me that much before! Most dealers just want £25!

I'm shocked. If that was my local dealer they wouldn't be seeing me again. I feel well and truly bent over! :good:

This is Essex you are talking about dont forget......

The county of high living,fast cars expensive blondes and shooters who swing both ways......

I had recent issues over the RFD charges - I understand that the delivery company charge a flat £15 for anywhere in the Country.

Mind you, round here no one wants to do them - I understand that Leech & Sons won't anymore because they got a second hand rifle in for a punter from a 3rd party, it didn't work and the punter went after Leech & Sons under the Sale of Goods Act for supplying the gun : obviously there was an argument about the shops involvement in the transaction. An interesting one, but I can see why shops with RFD wouldn't want to get involved - messy, time consuming and expensive to fix when it all goes wrong.

Indeed, ME's account of a recent trip to Essex Gun (who flatly refused) shows the general reluctance. Indeed, it's common for all the shops to want to curtail private to private second hand sales because it cuts them out of the loop apart from making a few pence on the transfer.

So, they are looking for £35 for the grief, risk, forms and loss of a potential second hand sale. Applying my "what does it cost to fill my Disco up with Diesel test" (which I use to sanity check all of my expenditure), no it's not outrageous - it's a 3rd of a tank of diesel and thereby satisfies the test.

that delivery charge is high as well, usually sub a tenner for most courier companies. Personally though I can like Mungler understand why they don't want to do it and like most business if you don't want to do it you price it at a level where you either don't do it or it makes enough to be worthwhile.

They are private businesses and to an extent why should they handle a sale for another gunshop which could be doing them out of selling a gun of the same type. Ok we all know its down to price but then again its probably cheaper than the diesel to collect it yourself

seems just over the going rate.

local rfd's charge £25 to receive a gun and hand it over,fill in sgc.

to send they charge £25 plus courrier cost (£15) so £40 total.

it does seem a lot to me as the guy just signs certificate, doesn't do police notification.

next nearest at least do the notification as part of the fee.

bit of a shame as it means low value guns are only really worth selling locally.

as a buyer i have ended up paying £65 on top of gun price just to get it delivered. :good:

Some interesting replies. I just consider £50 to be a bit steep for half an hours unskilled work which involves £20 (pre paid) outlay. The tank of diesel theory does have some reason in it because the money involved isn't great. I just don't like being robbed. Would you pay £5 for a bag of crisps mung? If I was hungry I would, but I'd be pretty annoyed about it!

Maybe my guy's cheaper than most. I pay £20 to receive and £25 to send. If I could have got the gun from anywhere else I would have, but they're no longer imported and it's the first I've seen since I got back from Canada. The week I got back I did a guntrader search and added the e-mail notification to my search. This is the first that's come up.

Eastern Sporting always, in my view, treat customers (new or long standing) fairly and reasonably. You will struggle to hear a bad word on any aspect of what they offer.

I'm sure that any shop will offer the RFD service a bit cheaper to customers who regularly spend money with them. In fact if they didn't you'd feel a bit put out! Calling on the phone as an unknown person to discuss an RFD would obviously result in their maximum charge, I would think. £20 for the courier plus £30 for them organising it and covering all the telephone call(s), log entries, packing/unpacking doesn't seem that high to me. For that charge they are also taking the risk of having to deal with any non-show of the courier or other problems.

As for Leech's - he does do RFDs for regular customers - he did one for me last year. Yes, he moaned a bit and told me the story too - but he still helped me out as he respects me as a regular customer. The gun that he RFDd with the problem was probably no worse than the used guns he flogs unsuspecting punters anyway :good: only joking Dave.

I don't really know the boys in Essex Gun very much so can't comment on them - but Eastern Sporting and Leech's are top shops.

Some interesting replies. I just consider £50 to be a bit steep for half an hours unskilled work which involves £20 (pre paid) outlay.

That's a little cheeky calling it unskilled labor. Paying rent, keeping employees on hand, surviving economic downturns, selling guns with small margins, dealing with umteen government agencies, being liable for the transferred gun while in the store, etc. If you had owned a gun store before, your comment would have more merit for me.

I owned a gunshop in California and charged more than that. There were local trap clubs and home dealers who would do a transfer for $20 plus the state fees, but they did it for fun, and not as a business. I always had the choice of lowering the fee or waiving it for a very good customer, but most of the people who wanted to transfer a gun through me had simply found another dealer somewhere on the internet who would sell cheaper than the local dealers including myself, and never shopped in my store. Why would I worry what that guy thinks of my prices. I transferred collectible American guns and high grage European shotguns for some of my customers, (McKay Browns, Purdey, Famars, etc), and $100 for that seems a bargain considering the gun had to be in my safe at the store for 10 days.

There was a law in California that might be a good one in your case. In private party transfers, there was a maximum fee you could charge, ($25), and you HAD to accept the transaction or lose your lisence.

Pete

Some interesting replies. I just consider £50 to be a bit steep for half an hours unskilled work which involves £20 (pre paid) outlay. The tank of diesel theory does have some reason in it because the money involved isn't great. I just don't like being robbed. Would you pay £5 for a bag of crisps mung? If I was hungry I would, but I'd be pretty annoyed about it!

Maybe my guy's cheaper than most. I pay £20 to receive and £25 to send. If I could have got the gun from anywhere else I would have, but they're no longer imported and it's the first I've seen since I got back from Canada. The week I got back I did a guntrader search and added the e-mail notification to my search. This is the first that's come up.

Why not apply to be an RFD yourself, maybe you could do it for £20. I doubt it would pay the mortgage?

Phil

Glad to see someone else here understands.

You know the old saying about what "walks" and what "talks"... it really applies here.

So many guys talk about "keeping my local guy in business". Well there are alot of guys who really do support a local dealer, but they are rarely the guys who "talk" about it. They just do it. It is not charity either. The dealer gives that guy great service, and there is usually somewhat of a relationship above and beyond simple commerce.

All the guys who chase around for the best price on a box of shells, or the best price on a scope... there is nothing wrong with it, but it is just that, and they are quite often the ones who complain when their local guy had to shut down.

Retail is a two way street. The middle of the counter is a good place to meet.

Pete

I think maybe you guys get paid too much! I expect to have to work for nearly two hours for £30, and I have to get there and use my own kit. I seriously doubt that my custom was all they had in that half hour. The guy who posted it was a regular customer and when I phoned the shop sounded packed!

I understand the overheads thing but how come no other shop I've been to charges that much? I have five RFDs locally and none of them charge more than £30. £50 isn't far off of double that. Perhaps as someone has said it could be the overheads of the area, but the cotswolds isn't exactly cheap either! In the economic downturn it pays to look after ones customers, not rob them so they don't come back!

Maybe I'm out of order for moaning. If it's fair that they charge double what I've ever paid anyone else then yes, I'm wrong to complain. I've RFD'd four guns in the last two months and not paid more than £25 for the other three.

EDIT... I know what you're saying Pete, but I do buy all I can from my local guy. The guns I've bought recently have been unavailable through him, or more than double the price for a new version of what I've bought second hand. My combi was £750, new £2500. See where I'm coming from? Anything that can be bought locally I do, believe me.

Edited by njc110381

I had recent issues over the RFD charges - I understand that the delivery company charge a flat £15 for anywhere in the Country.

Depends if they're members of the GTA, most couriers won't touch firearms and TNT will only deal with registered businesses who have an account with them. Non-GTA registered RFDs have to pay nigh on £100 for delivery costs. i've just had a gun sent from york guns, [bought it from a fella on here] paid their fees, then postage, then my nominated rfd fees, still came to £65, the thing is , business is business, i've never dealt with any of these rfds before, so why should they do me any favours?

Damn....you dont want to hire mungler then!!! :hmm:

I hate to big him up, but that's a skilled job which should earn good money. At least with him you get a silly sense of humour to go with it! He could rob me blind and I'd still walk away laughing, for some reason he just makes me smile :yes:

Depends if they're members of the GTA, most couriers won't touch firearms and TNT will only deal with registered businesses who have an account with them. Non-GTA registered RFDs have to pay nigh on £100 for delivery costs. i've just had a gun sent from york guns, [bought it from a fella on here] paid their fees, then postage, then my nominated rfd fees, still came to £65, the thing is , business is business, i've never dealt with any of these rfds before, so why should they do me any favours?

I used coopers of woodbastwick £25 Total bargain mate

Aberdeen to Stroud, 500 miles, ten hours one way, £25..... I'm going to give up on this now :yes:

What, so you would go there to meet the bloke, collect the gun, sort the paperwork and then walk all the way home? :hmm:

Listen, no one want to hear that they are a tight wadding chiseler who wants to knock an honest Essex gunshop from going about their living.

Do your clients tell you that they could cut their own lawns for nothing :good: