semi-auto's in the hunting field

Thumpersniper

I have kindly been leant a semi-auto Franchi for the weekend to try by a friend with a small gunshop. I had decided to part ex my Greener GP for one just

because i thought it would be more practical with 3 shots but still light and pointable with one barrel.

However, after taking it lamping on friday, shooting crows on saturday then lamping again sat night i have not been overly impressed. The gun is very light and nice to look at but i found i spent most of the lamp battery looking for spent cartridge cases where it throws them out, and missed a chance at some crows because i was too busy looking for empties in the rushes. Also i used three shots quite often, but only once did i hit something with the third shot so i bet it would get quite expensive!

It is full choke fixed, but only takes 2 3/4 inch carts. I think i will keep the Greener for now and save up for something with changeable chokes and a bigger chamber. I did see a thread on here a while back where someone had made a little net for the side of their semi-auto to catch the empties, only now do i realise what a brainwave that must have been! I'm guessing that wildfowlers dont get many empties back which go flying into the reeds or water in the dusk compared with ejecting them into your hand from an O/U? hmm still in two minds about it, he wants £150 and i think my Greener is worth that easy, got till tomorrow to decide, would you advise me to save for a more versitile one?

cheers

hi.

i know what you mean about spending more time looking for spent cartridges. :P

if it was my monety i would do what you are thinking and save a bit more to buy a multichoke gun.

you can pick up an older beretta semi for around £300 ish, i personally would recomend a 303 if you are on a budget. :angry:

without checking i think these only take 2 3/4" cartridges though, so if you want 3" cartridges may be better to look for an AL390 or 391.

to be honest for a couple of hundred quid more the 391 is a nicer gun, in my opinion.

dont find mine too expensive to run, cant remember the last time i used the 3rd shot :angry:

My first Semi was a 303 back in 1990 or 91 I think, only sold it about 2 or 3 years ago having bought a 391 about a year or so previously.

I have a 686 Sporting Special, Silver Pigeon III and Baikal Single Barrel 12g, I must admit I would not be without a semi, but they are a pain to clean and I don't like littering the countryside!

Yep, spend time looking for carts and never find them all, but I make an effort!!

The Baikal is going, not found any use for it personally, it came from the Game fair last year for just £25. Worth a try and still a bargain for someone but not for me!!

Each to their own, but a semi for me every time :angry:

Do you shoot well with it? That should be a major consideration.

The looking for empties bit is a nuisance I agree but I usually use mine for hide work so all the shells get picked after the days done.

The other thing is .....don't buy green coloured cartridges :angry:

As for using more, I too, rarely use the 3rd shot. I always think that if you can't hit it with 2 then it deserves to go on its way. Its more sporting as well. Pigeons are usually too far away by the 3rd shot to be sure of a decent kill anyway.

Semi-autos are different and do take a little change of mind set sometimes.

GH

Benelli M3 maybe :)

spas 12?? :lol:

all guns have their ups and downs, you just have to figure out what you need and what suits you. i needed something that holds 3 carts, has a sling, and is multi choked. i had a semi auto for a while (benelli) and tried a few others out, but i got fed up with the constant cleaning and jams, so i went for pump actions and never looked back :good:

Thanks for all the replies, seems i wasn't the only one then! I havent really shot from a hide as such before prefering to walk around with my dog and see a bit more on the limited time i get shooting. I did shoot a goose from a hide with a friend and perhaps the semi would have bagged me another! I just took the gun back to my friend now saying that i would wait and look for something a bit more versitile. He was fine about it and said he will let me know if any come in. It wouldnt cycle realtree pigeon carts they were too short at 67mm which was a bit of a problem because i didnt have much else to try through it! Greenhunter, thanks or the tip haha, they were blue carts but it was long grass and getting dark! I found it very easy to pick up the target, i think it fitted me better than my O/U which is a bit short in the stock and i really liked a big front bead (my Browning A1 game has a tiny bead almost invisable when its getting dark) but the full choke was making things hard i think.

After a little bit of looking i think your right mickmep a Berretta seems the way to go with a semi-auto, i think i will look out for a 3.5" chambered one then it can take the place of my Zabala 10 bore and my single barrel greener GP which are both in excellent condition and should go a fair way to paying for one i hope!!

thanks again