Education today

christy

:good: One of our kids 14 just came to me with a maths problem concerning powers and roots. Ok I knew the answer, what is 2 to the power of two, what does 3 with a little three above mean...

What is the point of this nonsense? Is it simply a way to assess the childs intelect? What a load of ####. Who in this world needs to know what 3.142 means? Or powers, tangents, roots and log rythems. Pants absolute pants.

Why not teach them how much a car costs to run. How much it takes to rent somewhere of your own, how to make some cash, how to cook a meal (or an egg), how to survive when it all goes tits up, how to grow your own, how to find a job, how to make the best of you and what have to offer. How to learn to believe in yourself and be confident you have skills. Not developed perhaps-but wait...

What is the point of modern teaching? I do not think it is in tune. Maybe it is for some.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:good: One of our kids 14 just came to me with a maths problem concerning powers and roots. Ok I knew the answer, what is 2 to the power of two, what does 3 with a little three above mean...

What is the point of this nonsense? Is it simply a way to assess the childs intelect? What a load of ####. Who in this world needs to know what 3.142 means? Or powers, tangents, roots and log rythems. Pants absolute pants.

Why not teach them how much a car costs to run. How much it takes to rent somewhere of your own, how to make some cash, how to cook a meal (or an egg), how to survive when it all goes tits up, how to grow your own, how to find a job, how to make the best of you and what have to offer. How to learn to believe in yourself and be confident you have skills. Not developed perhaps-but wait...

What is the point of modern teaching? I do not think it is in tune. Maybe it is for some.

I think you are out of touch.

Why not teach them how much a car costs to run.

How do you propose a way to calculate that?

There's some three-figure salaries to be made in maths. Think insurance companies, etc - how do they calculate the premiums? It's all about statistics, odds and equations.

Or hedge funds - basically calculating odds / risk and gambling. Again, enormous money if someones good enough.

. Who in this world needs to know what 3.142 means? Or powers, tangents, roots and log rythems.

Pie (3.14159265358979323846264338327950288…) I use most days at work, and most of the other stuf you mention!

Other than that, lets throw it back to you as a PARENT, what are YOU teaching them?

I agree some of what you say, but school is a two way street.

PS I am not a teacher, but OH is.

take away there calculators and there shot.don,t they teach them to use there heads anymore.

I quite agree simple calculations should be done in your head, but you try doing my work/calculations in your head :good: :good: :good: No way possible.

Edited by V8landy

:yes: One of our kids 14 just came to me with a maths problem concerning powers and roots. Ok I knew the answer, what is 2 to the power of two, what does 3 with a little three above mean...

I don't know about you but this was standard O level fare whe I did mine back in 1965 and to be honest I still use a lot of it at work today. Logarithems to some extent became obsolite in daily use with the advent of calculators but I still use graphs with logarithmic scales for energy effeciency calculations. :good::good:

We learnt this - and most of the other things you mentioned, or close to it in the "old days" but then they dropped them for more PC things like media studies and multiracial integration :good::good::good:

Perhaps they have seen sense at last and kids comming from school will be able to do MATHS :hmm::hmm:

By definition of the fact that you knew the answer is it not reasonable to assume that you were taught the same things and hence this does not particularly reflect modern teaching?

All physical phenomena can be described mathematically, some of which can get pretty darn complicated. A basic understanding of maths is critical as it underpins just about all aspects of everyday life.

Ironically the majority of points you raise can be answered by an equation which is likely, amongst other things, to include variables to the power of n.

It's not modern teaching. They taught that stuff when I was in school.

All the stuff that you say they should be teaching them instead, how to run a car, get out of bed etc - they learn that anyway. You learn that stuff by doing it every day and watching your parents do it. No point in teaching that at school.

I do agree though, that there should be more emphasis on arithmetic than complex maths, at least at first. The number of kids that can't add up the cost of a few bits of shopping without a calculator is scary. It is also scary that, if they get a decimal point in the wrong place, they can't tell. If they do a sum on a calculator :good: such as 2.5 x 3.5 and they hit the wrong button (2.5 x 35) and get an answer of 87.5, they can't see at a glance that it can't be right. :good: They just slavishly believe what the calculator says :good: The reason is that they haven't been made proficient in arithmetic, before they get plunged into agebra and logarithms etc

Pie (3.14159265358979323846264338327950288…) I use most days at work, and most of the other stuf you mention!

Other than that, lets throw it back to you as a PARENT, what are YOU teaching them?

I agree some of what you say, but school is a two way street.

PS I am not a teacher, but OH is.

PARENT YOU big words fella. My kids are not academic. However, their skill will be in thier hands. Both are keen to learn dry stone walling. Both have a touch drawing. We live at the top of the Cotswolds...work will be all around them. I think I have been gentle with my reply...****

Frankly, we learn advanced maths (above every day use) at school because

1.) It is stimulating

2.) It is useful for many many jobs and academic endeavours (architects, doctors, inventors and many more).

It seems you want to teach to the lowest common denominator. Sure some children are incapable of advanced maths, but that is why we have further education colleges.

Anyway here are some observations

1.) You should teach your children to cook an egg, if you are unable too, find your nearest social worker and hand your kids to them.

2.) I also hope you could teach your children about cars, their costs and simple repairs, much like my father did for me (extolling the evils of hire purchase payments, changing wheels and off-roading)

3.) Equally on the job front, I hope you could show your child how to get a job.

You seem to be confusing the boundaries of what should be taught at home and what should be taught at school.

I use maths every day in my job and a massive part of it is areas, hydrostatics and PxA=F, this is nothing new and although I agree skills in the hand are useful why limit your kids oppertunities to manual work such as dry stone walling??

I think a trade is a handy thing to fall back on but wouldn't want my son to follow the traditional Mechanic/joiner route as there seems to be bigger money and just as much happiness in careers such as alternative energy/IT/private health etc.

Just my t'pence ...

Regards,

Gixer

I don't think you realise just how much "this stuff" is used in everyday life, I use it daily. Next time you go on the fair look up at the canvas tilt (roof). Someone's had to work out the area of this conical shaped cover to give the showman a price If it's a large dodgem cover it runs into thousands and it has to be the right price. They're also made from shaped panels and if it's to fit they have to be the right shape.

Everyday mundane article, but it uses the very same maths you are decrying.

It's not modern teaching. They taught that stuff when I was in school.

All the stuff that you say they should be teaching them instead, how to run a car, get out of bed etc - they learn that anyway. You learn that stuff by doing it every day and watching your parents do it. No point in teaching that at school.

I do agree though, that there should be more emphasis on arithmetic than complex maths, at least at first. The number of kids that can't add up the cost of a few bits of shopping without a calculator is scary. It is also scary that, if they get a decimal point in the wrong place, they can't tell. If they do a sum on a calculator :good: such as 2.5 x 3.5 and they hit the wrong button (2.5 x 35) and get an answer of 87.5, they can't see at a glance that it can't be right. :good: They just slavishly believe what the calculator says :good: The reason is that they haven't been made proficient in arithmetic, before they get plunged into agebra and logarithms etc

Yesss arithmatic...times table-no calculator-no ask jeeves. Simple 96 x 100. Easy peasy-base. If they have no basic understanding, computers, whatever thier guise, are a hopeless way to learn maths. 343 x9? Do it my way and the answer will be almost instant. 10 x =3430 -43 obviously, take 50 add 7. Pure arithmatic. Teach them that. How many A grade students could I ask 56 x9 and expect an accurate answer? Ver few cos they are not taught 56x10 = 560 -56...