Semi auto shotgun

Mr_Logic

Right, other half has taken a liking to my shotgun, so I can either replace hers with another one of the same, which is boring but pretty sensible, or get a semi auto for me to use (can't afford a better o/u). I've shouldered an Xtrema 2 and was impressed, but I doubt it will like 21gr 65mm carts, which I use for skeet in the o/u.

I am after a semi auto with a bit of weight to it - the ultralight ultralight stuff is of no desire to me - I had an SX3 to start with, and it was 3.5" chamber and didn't like short carts, chucked the empties miles and was so light I found it a pain for skeet - prefer something with a bit of heft to it.

Can anyone recommend something that will fit the bill? Ideally it should cycle 21g, but I suspect this may be a tall order! Many thanks :good:

My friend uses a 391 stone coat gold sporter which is much heavier than my SX3, I shoot both guns just as well although I'm not sure if the 391 will cope with 21 gm cartridges.

They're suppose to be bring out the new Beretta 400 in sporter format some time.

Remmi 1100 :rolleyes:

Won more skeet comps than any other :rolleyes:

:oops:

That said, mine doesn't like 21g cartridges too much, but as it's a heavy old lump, and very soft shooting, you could put 24g/28g through it and hardly feel a thing anyway.

You wouldn't be disappointed with one :rolleyes:

If you want to continue to use the 21g Hull Comp X your going to have to forget the autos I`m afraid. I use the Comp X all day for tuition and competition and love them.

I`v tried them through lots of different semi auto`s both new and old and they all hate them because they are after all the softest cartridge on the market. I`v tried them through the new Beretta A400, Beretta urika 2, Winchester SX3, Browning fusion, Remi 1100, Browning B80, Hatsans, Fabarms, and Benelli`s. The only one semi auto that did recycle them was my brothers old Teknys. It was the first one in the country so he bought it. It has shot over 200,000 rounds and is nice and loose, but it`s the only Semi I`v come across that will actually use ANY cartridge. The other Teknys`s I`v tried didn`t want to know so perhaps they have changed them slightly.

However, Try the 28g Comp X as they are the softest 28g on the market and the mrs should be able to use them.

Otherwise its back for another o/u, which would be the best idea anyway. :oops:

I should say though that I have also come across a few o/u that don`t like them because there`s not enough recoil to change over to the second barrel.

is there any benefit to using 21g carts other than lower cost and less recoil? I used to find my shoulder sore after 50 24g carts added a cheap rubber stock extension as the stock was a bit short for me and now fine using 28g

My Franchi has no problems with 21 gr cartridges, but it doesn't fit your definition of heavy because it is around 6 1/2-7 lb.

If you're going to shoot 21g almost all of the time and occasionally shoot heavier stuff, you can get an 1100 and open the gas ports a little. That solves the ejection problems.

Thanks,

Rick

Hmm. Thanks folks. Food for thought. Went and had a look today, looking a lot less on the Beretta than I thought, chap said 450-odd. It is well used and has had stock chopped, so I guess devalued.

So decent o/u is a bit much. Had a look at a Benelli with 26 inch barrel which I can just about manage financially. Bit light but excellent fit and liked the trigger. Thing I like on the Browning is the trigger, so a good point.

Lanber o/u is the other alternative - decent enough but not a Browning - both mrs and me prefer Browning so someone misses out. Given they don't like you sharing a gun up at Bisley, leaves me wondering what to do...

I have both a teknys and an 1187 sporting clays, both are heavy guns, and they both cycle 21g cartridges fine. The best thing about a light gun is that you can normally add weight with ease, but to take weight away from a heavy gun tends not to be so easy. I hope you find what you are looking for. ATB Dickie.