Was it you

Went up the M5 to Tewkesbury today and saw a couple of guys shooting a rape field between Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.

Was it any one on the Forum, If so how did you get on?

I must say your hide stood out like a sore thumb under that Pylon :yes: If I can see you doing 80 on the Mway Im pretty sure the pigeons could as well. :yes:

Big field and didnt seem to be too much about.

Mike.

Went up the M5 to Tewkesbury today and saw a couple of guys shooting a rape field between Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.

I must say your hide stood out like a sore thumb under that Pylon :yes: If I can see you doing 80 on the Mway Im pretty sure the pigeons could as well. :yes:

Mike.

If it was anyone on here, they aint going to cough to it now! :yes:

I must say your hide stood out like a sore thumb under that Pylon :P If I can see you doing 80 on the Mway Im pretty sure the pigeons could as well. :/

Mike.

Dangerous to say the least- so come on chaps who shoots under a High Voltage Pylon?:o :yes::yes:

Les :yes:

No I guess not- however I was always taught NOT to shoot under high voltage cables- shot could damage or break the glass insulators that hold the cables

Les :lol:

only if you shoot them :lol: shot would do nothing to the cables themselves. If you can't avoid shooting a pylon its probably time to give up shooting :lol:

shot would do nothing to the cables themselves.

That is not correct, it can damage the outer sheathing/ protective coating and leave whoever is responsible with a serious bill. That is why you should never shoot birds off wires, nor shoot towards wires with a shotgun.

Edited by john_r

That is not correct, it can damage the outer sheathing/ protective coating and leave whoever is responsible with a serious bill. That is why you should never shoot birds off wires, nor shoot towards wires with a shotgun.

I think you will find thats on Telephone Cables and yep get caught and you will be billed Elec cables. High voltage Elec cables are just cable no sheaving.

You should be OK under these for short periods and if thats the flight line go for it, I would ( But it wasn't me under the pylon .

No I guess not- however I was always taught NOT to shoot under high voltage cables- shot could damage or break the glass insulators that hold the cables

Les :lol:

i was told at college they were porcelin insulaters have they changed to glass or have i allways been wrong..?? :lol:

should never shoot under any cables hv or phone lines..

i was told at college they were porcelin insulaters have they changed to glass or have i allways been wrong..?? :lol:

should never shoot under any cables hv or phone lines..

what a load of cobblers cant you control your shooting to your placed kill zone or are overhead shots under a pylon the expected thing? I have set up under a tower on more than a few occasions, oh and I shoot a skeet layout that has 415v cables strung directly through it, it must litterally get hit a thousand times each day the shoot is open.no bother at all.

oh and its spelt porcelain insulators.

KW

Ehhhh??? If they are high voltage lines, not cables (cables tend to be buried in the ground) the wires will not have insulation on them. That is what the insulators are for, insulating.

Most power lines whether high or low voltage (tower lines as well as pole lines) will carry uninsulated members, wires on them. Being isulated at the pole/ tower.

Lines will be constructed from either copper or aluminium with possibly steel reinforcing. Application of lead shot from a shotgun will not extend their life.

:lol::good:

what a load of cobblers cant you control your shooting to your placed kill zone or are overhead shots under a pylon the expected thing? I have set up under a tower on more than a few occasions, oh and I shoot a skeet layout that has 415v cables strung directly through it, it must litterally get hit a thousand times each day the shoot is open.no bother at all.

oh and its spelt porcelain insulators.

KW

Well you deserve all you get then you *****

I've never found setting up under pylons to be worth it anyway

The birds seem to spook at the wires as they commit.

Well said, anything to deter the idiots who think power cables are not lethal i rescued someone from a lake who had touched a 33000 volt power line with his fishing pole i know what these things can do. STAY AWAY from power cables believe me they are not nice. Any one risking it a few pigeons deserves all they get.

Well said, anything to deter the idiots who think power cables are not lethal i rescued someone from a lake who had touched a 33000 volt power line with his fishing pole i know what these things can do. STAY AWAY from power cables believe me they are not nice. Any one risking it a few pigeons deserves all they get.

fishing with carbon poles is a lot different to being at ground level under a pylon with a shotgun? do you know your distance tables for high voltage? I do I work with 275kv every day of the week, and 33kv and 11 kv and 3.3kv and 415v and 110v etc etc, ( do you have your own flashsuit for racking in? I DO) there is absolutely no harm whatsoever in using a pylon as a backdrop, if you shoot out in front of you, I have even seen a friend of mine get set up under one by a professional pigeon guide :lol:

KW

I can't understand how a light hearted poke at an obvious hide in a field has degenerated into swearing at each other in under 2 pages,what's wrong with you guys?Christ you all need to relax a little....Shall I get my coat?

because as usual a light hearted remark ends up with the know alls condemning every move, the safety police are alive and well here even if they are a little ill educated? on their chosen subject? :mad:

KW

fishing with carbon poles is a lot different to being at ground level under a pylon with a shotgun? do you know your distance tables for high voltage? I do I work with 275kv every day of the week, and 33kv and 11 kv and 3.3kv and 415v and 110v etc etc, ( do you have your own flashsuit for racking in? I DO) there is absolutely no harm whatsoever in using a pylon as a backdrop, if you shoot out in front of you, I have even seen a friend of mine get set up under one by a professional pigeon guide :mad:

KW

Those flashsuits must be a bit bright for pigeon shooting though, can you get a camo version ?

I think its designed for guys who work on the "live" pylons, in case the hv decides to arc out and use you to go to ground.

The guys who paint the pylons are supposed to use them, but the last time they were painted in my area the gang of guys just crawled over the pylon slapping the paint around wearing only a pair of coveralls and a head scarf :mad: