Ignorant press coverage of pigeon shooting

Blunderbuss

This "article" on pigeon shooting from a Somerset local paper is a few months old, but I just stumbled accross it.

>>clicky<<

It is one of the most ignorant, poorly researched and and tawdry pieces of "journalism" I have read in quite some some time. It is staggering how out of touch with what happens in the countryside most people are :hmm:

Who's to say they weren't hit by cars?

I've seen countless woodpigeon RTA's

Stratton resident Geoff Collins said: "Most are shot ineffectually and left to suffer and die, in the most inhumane of circumstances. "Several times a week we find dying birds in the road and in our garden."

dont know about you but id say several times a week is too much for rta's, and im gonna go out on a limb and assume that because he's a local resident he's seen or heard them being shot at...? :good:

could be wrong, you never know :hmm:

I think the most worrying part is the equally ignorant reponses from most of the people commenting on the article. Though if people are shooting other species/leaving carcasses to drop in people's gardens then that is poor advertsing for shooting.

exactly what i thought i cant believe what im reading what a load of absolute bile by some die hard anti. i hate reading stuff like that because it makes me so angry! some **** said about its illegal to shoot collard doves even tho there classed as vermin! antis just live in there little cotton wool world where there the saviours of man kind-i bet they eat meat,wear leather and make up and drive cars. what would they do if a rat was living in there house! for god sake i HATE them!

sorry to hijack

I'd suggest his "quote" is a vast over exaggeration of a typical anti.

Unless his garden is say >10-20 acres in size, I fail to see how "Several times a week" he finds dead birds in it... the factors of physics, life and luck make it near on impossible.

Note to all - Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Unless his garden is say >10-20 acres in size, I fail to see how "Several times a week" he finds dead birds in it... the factors of physics, life and luck make it near on impossible.

"Several times a week we find dying birds in the road and in our garden."

not just his garden though :/

im not saying the guys being 100% honest, but dont forget that although most shooters on this site would never do something as stupid as shoot at birds that were out of range or with a too small shot size (:rolleyes:) it does go on, and could be the case here. as much as i hate seeing bad press theres no point dismissing it out of hand straight away, simply because you cant stand critiscism of shooting. food for thought....

you'll be telling us theres no Father Christmas next :/

Les :rolleyes:

I have images of tie dye shirts, hessian bags, velvet trousers and Joss sticks being the norm in stretton en fosse..

Wonder if the hallucinogenic drugs they consumed in their teens are starting to give them bad flashbacks???

What a completely biased and ill researched bit of sensationalism... God help it, I work for the Sun, I should know what that means!!

Disgraceful

where do these folk get there info from half of them wouldnt know one end of a gun from the other.or never seen shooting of game or other for them self they just jump on the anti band wagon and make **** like this up as they go along you would think the would get there facts even close b4 opening there mouths. if they dont like hereing shooting or being around it go live in a big town and leave country to the real country folk. would these same people be happy to pay over the odds for there bread ,milk,cereal if it were gettig decamated by flocks of uncontroled pigeons or rabbits and farmers were inable to grow good crops a dont thinks so they bog off back to there towns :rolleyes::/:sly::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by cocker3

Guest beechris

It makes me mad with press like that. i get it as i enjoy motorbikes, driving trucks and shooting and they are all wrong as they dont find out what the facts are, i dont like footie or golf, but i dont have a go at people. :rolleyes:

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing how wound up the people who comment on that article against shooting must be.

Does that make me sick, do I care?

And yet people are getting just as wound up replying about it on here and with an equally judgemental bias for people they don't know as the people commenting on the article.

Go figure :rolleyes:

I find it easier to float above being angry about stupid opinions that are unfounded and wrong on a sea of 'knowing-I'm-right' :rolleyes:

I think this is the stance we all try but the trouble is there are a load of idiots out there (do gooders) who think its their cause in life to make our lives(shooters)as miserable and difficult as possible, these hollow heads listen intently to that cr*p and believe it verbatim,whos to say its not some kid with an air riflepot pot shoting and wounding hence them being found in the same places :/

And yet people are getting just as wound up replying about it on here and with an equally judgemental bias for people they don't know as the people commenting on the article.

Go figure :o

judgmental bias for people they dont know

yes i dont know them but i know my sport and they dont thats the differance

i wouldnt for example tell them how to do flower arranging in the church hall as i know bog all about flowers

but if i did i would surely get my facts right b4 i said any thing and do some research first :o