Lucky to be alive

Topgunners

On Saturday we were out doing our usual reccying of the farms and about midday I was following my mate going to a rendezvous with another shooter.

All of a sudden I had a blow-out doing 50-55mph. The jeep veered towards the nearside verge and I saw the telegraph pole directly in fromt of me. I tried hard to swerve and miss it but didn't quite make it. I hit it head on and then was catapulted skywards into another pole which promptly spun me over 360 deg and flipped again and I landed on my roof. Sliding along the verge and crashing upside down in a water filled ditch.

I was momentarily dazed and then the jeep was surrounded by people who had witnessed the crash and were gobsmacked that I was still alive. My instant concern was my dog in the back of the jeep in the cage. We managed to wrench the door open and he was alive, Thank god.

As you can see my beloved jeep was a mess. Roof caved in, all panels damaged, windows smashed, footplates wrenched off and all my gear ended up in the ditch when the tow-truck righted the motor. I have numerous bags with sodden, ruined equipment in; that I now have to sort out

Good old Isuzu for building a jeep like a tank. I'm pretty sure any other jeep and I would have been dead.

IMG_0190ed.jpg

Landed in the right spot for an instant wreath. Right outside a nursery.

IMG_0191ed.jpg

IMG_0196ed2.jpg

IMG_0199ed.jpg

IMG_0200ed.jpg

20 minutes later the top of the telegraph pole let out a mighty crack as it fell onto my mates bumper.

I walked away with whiplash injuries, bruised wrist, elbow and groin.

The police, firemen, ambulance man and motorists just kept on repeating how lucky; very, very lucky I was.

Phew!!!!!!!!

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad you're both ok Dave...

Out of interest, what would the situation be if this happened, unable to drive, possibly needing to be checked over at hospital and the car's a write off, wih respect to firearms? would you hand them over to Plod for 'safekeeping?'