.17 Moderators

Horrocks

Hello all,

Whilst the barrel on my rifle may be fine, as earlier testified, my moderator isn't. I've had a SAK for over a year now as a starting Mod and I'm beginning to become fed up with it, I've just read a moderator review at ShootingUK:

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/rifles/38...rs_review_.html

This put a PES Mod (PES 32mm Muzzlecan) at the quietest (I'm not bothered in weight or the increase in length, just want the quietest around).

Has anybody had experience of these Mods, and what do they think?

Thanks

H.

And I know i won't lose the supersonic 'crack', but this sound isnt all crack...

Have you tried cleaning the mod?

That is the first thing I would try, strip it down and clean the **** out.

It may save you a lot of money!

All the best ;)

EDIT: Doc, correct me if I am wrong and don't take this as gospel, but isn't an ASE UTRA a centrefire moderator?

If it is, I didn't think you were supposed to use CF mod on RF. I'm not getting at you, just asking for my own knowledge.

Edited by SSS

Not too sure who told you not to dissassemble and clean your SAK mod but I think you have been given the wrong advice there! Admittedly the SAK is a cheap mod but it does quite a good job on the 17HMR, and, like you have said it will be near impossible to get rid of the sonic crack all together. The SAK mod is designed to be stripped down and cleaned and when fitted to a 17HMR it should be cleaned fairly regularly as the 17HMR is quite a "dirty" round to fire, and you will find that this is the case whatever mod you use.

Give your SAK a strip down and good clean and I am sure that you will notice the difference to using it while it is clogged up!

Not too sure who told you not to dissassemble and clean your SAK mod but I think you have been given the wrong advice there! Admittedly the SAK is a cheap mod but it does quite a good job on the 17HMR, and, like you have said it will be near impossible to get rid of the sonic crack all together. The SAK mod is designed to be stripped down and cleaned and when fitted to a 17HMR it should be cleaned fairly regularly as the 17HMR is quite a "dirty" round to fire, and you will find that this is the case whatever mod you use.

Give your SAK a strip down and good clean and I am sure that you will notice the difference to using it while it is clogged up!

Thanks, but how do you strip it down?

Thanks, but how do you strip it down?

one end has got two flats on it, big spanner here, (or rear door jam of nissan) unscrew and pull/push core out, beware the insides are one piece surprisingly sharp so wrap a cloth around it. Mine normally won't come off the barrel after use without disassembling itself. When you put it back together give it a good nip or you'll be doing it in the field the same as me

and clean it with what?

Stiff brush and a cloth, if you get really excited 009 does the trick. I never get to that stage cos mine keeps coming apart and I just blow it out. Cleaned my Sirocco the other day with 009 seemed fine but I've got new cones coming so didn't worry too much

and whilst we're on the subject, what do you think of that sirocco?

To be honest there is not much difference in sound level between the SAK and the Sirocco, but the Sirocco is being eaten by the HMR at an incredible rate, thanks to advice on here I phoned Edgar Bros who are sending me new steel cones FOC. The SAK is taking some damage (nothing major) and is now resigned to the .22, The Sirocco is slightly longer and slimmer than the SAK and I prefer it on the slim hunter barrel of my HMR. I changed the MODS over and fired into soft ground at 0 range to see which was the more efficient , ... if I could say anything .. then I guess the SAK had a slightly mellower sound, but to be honest once that bullet starts carving it'e way through the air it makes no difference whatsoever

My HMR ate the first two sets of baffels in the old SAC mod, and the accuracy went all over the place (honest it wasn't me being cack).

Just something to be aware of.

If you get a calibre specific mod they are often better at controlling the noise, but, as already said, the super sonic crack is always going to be there.

Cooter ;)

and whilst we're on the subject, what do you think of that sirocco?

I have one on my HMR, and will replace it with a SAK, just like on my .22lr and WMR when the time comes, the difference between ALL the mods on a HMR isn't worth bothering about, I even tried a Centrefire .22Cal mod on the HMR and you couldn't tell the difference to the ear.

SAK does it for me these days.

ATB!!

Guys, I have seen and read this revue historically, (have a read for those of you that haven't) may I just remind some of you of some test results...

Sound reduction

Whisper 23.3dB

SAK 26.9dB

SM11 28.6dB

LEI 27.5dB.

According to these results the Whisper is appalling, which concurs with my personal opinion and that of the one very dissapointed owner I also know!!

Each to their own, obviously spend your money where you want, but I have got/had/used many mods over the years and for money, reliability, weight and Jackson Rifles Guarantee, the SAK does for me now on ALL my rimfires.

ATB!! :good:

:good: They missed off one of the best imo.The dm80.I was sick of cleaning out my scirrocco, and blew 2 up so I paid the extra for a dm80 and what a difference.The noise is slightly lower, but more importantly, it is made from 2 parts which simply screw apart. When I get in from shooting I take mine apart and leave it to dry (there will be loads of wet gooe residue if you have fired more than 10 rounds). Leave it overnight and the next day simply brush off the dried residue and youre sorted. If you keep buying the cheaper ones it does work out as a false economy, my hmr disintegrated the aluminium baffle sin the scirrocco :good:

If anyone reading this thread is using the Scirocco moderator (SM11) on the .17HMR make sure you have the upgraded stainless steel baffles, my 16" Varmint ate every baffle in the moderator, I contacted Edgar Bros. who were as good as gold and sent me the new ones out without question :yes:

You will still have to clean it and a little too frequently for a lazy *** like me :yes: but at least the baffles won't melt

The SM11 is an extremely good moderator, if in any doubt, fire your HMR with it off :(