Is voting anonymous?

Mungler

On LBC last year there was a regular caller to the Nick Ferrari show who insisted that he was ex MI5.

He was probably a walting nutter but he suggested that voting was not anonymous.

The last time I voted, I did see that the voting card had a serial number on it (small print, bottom right hand corner).

So then, is voting truly anonymous?

Obviously if I'm going to be voting BNP this time around I don't want anyone knowing :good:

something makes me think i heard somewhere that it wasnt, that parties could check up and see who voted for them :good:

i know that over here parties are given a list of the local electorate, and its not unheard of (:good:) for them to call at your doorand "encourage" you to go out and vote... :good:

Wikipedia doesn't think that it is totally anonymous: "The United Kingdom secret ballot arrangements are sometimes criticised because it is possible to link a ballot paper to the voter who cast it. Each ballot paper is individually numbered and each elector has a number. When an elector is given a ballot paper, their number is noted down on the counterfoil of the ballot paper (which also carries the ballot paper number). This means, of course, that the ballot is not guaranteed.

This measure is thought to be justified as a security arrangement so that if there was an allegation of fraud, false ballot papers could be identified. The process of matching ballot papers to voters is permissible only if an Elections Court requires it, and this is an extremely unlikely occurrence. The legal authority for this system is set out in the Parliamentary Elections Rules in Schedule 1 of the Representation of the People Act 1983."

Though for practical purposes no one will know who you have voted for.

Voting is anonymous. Ballot papers do have a unique number on them and this is indeed marked against your poll number on the "Corresponding Number List", but the list and ballot papers are not stored together following the count. The only time they could be checked is in a case of suspected electoral fraud whereby they would all be seized by special branch. Despite the conspiracy theories, nobody that has access to either is particularly interested in an individuals political persuasion.

Ozzy, I think you are referring to party "tellers" who stand outside polling stations? They do not know who you have voted for, nor will they ever - unless you tell them yourself, which is what they rely on.

Voting is anonymous. Ballot papers do have a unique number on them and this is indeed marked against your poll number on the "Corresponding Number List", but the list and ballot papers are not stored together following the count. The only time they could be checked is in a case of suspected electoral fraud whereby they would all be seized by special branch. Despite the conspiracy theories, nobody that has access to either is particularly interested in an individuals political persuasion.

Ozzy, I think you are referring to party "tellers" who stand outside polling stations? They do not know who you have voted for, nor will they ever - unless you tell them yourself, which is what they rely on.

nope, well, i dont think so, but i was talking about northern ireland, and our voting system is ****** up anyway :good:

but i have had people tell me several times about people crossing names off on lists at polling stations and calling at the house to get you to go vote :good:

Whatever they say, they are not working at the polling station and you don't have to tell them squat. Tell them to **** off! :good:

you dont tell the ones im talking about to **** off :good:

well, not unless you have a small arsenal in the house :good:

:good: :good: :good:

Northern Ireland eh? Oh, you'se crazy guys :good:

me? im not crazy, my doctors even gave me a certificate to prove it :good:

anyway, back on topic, can someone who's sober enough to work goolge tell me if im just imagining parties over here can find out how uvoted?

something makes me think i heard somewhere that it wasnt, that parties could check up and see who voted for them :good:

i know that over here parties are given a list of the local electorate, and its not unheard of (:good:) for them to call at your doorand "encourage" you to go out and vote... :good:

The list is just the electoral roll. Pretty much anoyone can get their hands on it for the right price. It just lists everyone registered to vote.

Iv had that knock on the door before to ozzy :good: the lists they have just tell them if you bothered to get of your backside and vote yet,and they even have cars to drive you to the polling station and back to your door,bless there cotton socks :good:

Iv had that knock on the door before to ozzy :good: the lists they have just tell them if you bothered to get of your backside and vote yet,and they even have cars to drive you to the polling station and back to your door,bless there cotton socks :good:

AND they even offer to look after the kids so you can go vote, in newry anyway... :good:

have to say im very disappointed i didnt have any cavassers round the door this year, all i had was 2 guys trying to collect money for deaf kids. when i open the door they said "hi were collecting for the national society for deaf kids, have you heard of us?"

now, i DARE any of you to keep a straight face in that situation, even if the gf is behind you ready to give ya a slap :good: :good: :good:

(edit - this is not an insult or a joke, it is honest to god 100% truth, they were wearing suits abd purple vests/bibs and had clipboards)

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Ah the old purple bib and clipboard trick....works every time :good:

:good: the gf told me not to answer the door cos canvassers (political) were about, so i opened it (i love winding them up). wish i hadnt now, when he said that i was sniggering like an 8yr old, then after he left i got slapped, not my fault :good:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Yes THIS is the right answer

No we are not the crazy guys living in Northern Ireland - North Yorkshire is quite nice - and the Yorke Arms restaurant & hotel at Ramsgill is very nice, but it isn't a patch on NI. I have been to both and know - I suspect you have not been here - more's the pity.

ps I dont personally know Mr Fudd, but he seems fine to me!

all major parties have a computer system that gets updated when you speak with canvassers on the doorstep.

this is so they dont have to waste time speaking to people who they know will vote for them. so what they know of you is because you told them.

I can't answer the original question but here's some food for thought:

A couple of "politcal party canvasser" looking asians walked to a near neighbours house yesterday and conferred with the asian homeowners for a while, while I was watching TV in the front room. After leaving the house they walked straight past my and my white neighbours houses before disappearing from sight around the corner.

Just wondering like... :good:

I can't answer the original question but here's some food for thought:

A couple of "politcal party canvasser" looking asians walked to a near neighbours house yesterday and conferred with the asian homeowners for a while, while I was watching TV in the front room. After leaving the house they walked straight past my and my white neighbours houses before disappearing from sight around the corner.

Just wondering like... :good:

Think thats funny? I had the BNP leaflet dropped through the door today by a man whos name I doubt I could pronounce!

There is a number on the voting slip which matches up to your polling number, if postal voting there are two. These numbers are cross referenced to make sure you haven't voted twice, so theoretically you can be traced.

I'm more worried about a Lotto fraud than the gangsters we are about to vote in! How come the 'mouth' on Lotto is able to quote lengthy info about when balls were drawn, how many times they were drawn, what the money was spent on etc. all in three seconds! Is it really 'live'?

A computerised autocue?

ZB

Was there not a case a few years ago where a police officer was identified as having voted for the BNP and disciplined?

I know that the police have been told thay are not allowed to vote for the BNP, so how will they know if they have not unless they cross refernece the ballot papers?

I bet a million dollars that if you vote BNP in the coming election, when you are pulled over by the coppers after a nights shooting and they bring up your number plate identification, it will tell them that you are a FAC or SGC holder who voted BNP

I understand that there are rules and regulations regarding annonymity of voters but that wont stop the government dissregarding these in their endless task to protect us from ourselves and anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly living in cloud cuckoo land

Ian.

At lest in Norn Iron you have to produce some photo ID to vote.

I don't think you even have to have your polling card with you over here (everywhere

else) which I think is madness.

All you have to do is overhear someone say they're not going to vote and you can

go and do it for them!

Nial

Was there not a case a few years ago where a police officer was identified as having voted for the BNP and disciplined?

I know that the police have been told thay are not allowed to vote for the BNP, so how will they know if they have not unless they cross refernece the ballot papers?

I bet a million dollars that if you vote BNP in the coming election, when you are pulled over by the coppers after a nights shooting and they bring up your number plate identification, it will tell them that you are a FAC or SGC holder who voted BNP

I understand that there are rules and regulations regarding annonymity of voters but that wont stop the government dissregarding these in their endless task to protect us from ourselves and anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly living in cloud cuckoo land

Ian.

He was a member of the BNP. That's what they found out.