confused

bullet1747

like to shoot 28g 7and halfs, some one told me to try 30g 6s, tried some 3 sitters(pigeons) in tree 30/35yard missed thought funny so went back to 28g same shot hour l8r dropped it like a stone ,can some shot guns be the same as air rifles like certain carts

like to shoot 28g 7and halfs, some one told me to try 30g 6s, tried some 3 sitters(pigeons) in tree 30/35yard missed thought funny so went back to 28g same shot hour l8r dropped it like a stone ,can some shot guns be the same as air rifles like certain carts

yes if its fixed choke.but with multi choke guns you change the choke to suit the shell if you are taking feathers out of a lot of birds or chipping clays put a tighter choke in etc etc... i use a fixed choke miroku mk38 1/4 3/4 for both and it loves 30g 6s fed through it on the pigeons. also wouldn;t consider shooting 7 1\2s at pigeons.

Edited by yickdaz

yes if its fixed choke.but with multi choke guns you change the choke to suit the shell if you are taking feathers out of a lot of birds or chipping clays put a tighter choke in etc etc... i use a fixed choke miroku mk38 1/4 3/4 for both and it loves 30g 6s fed through it on the pigeons. also wouldn;t consider shooting 7 1\2s at pigeons.

nowt wrong with 7 1/2s-28 grams for pigeons :oops: craig

Unless perhaps you're thinking of eating them!

Cheers

Exactly, I wouldn`t want to eat anything shot with 7 1/2`s at those ranges as they will be full of shot, in the last few weeks we have eaten a few pounds of pigeon mince and we had the first shot today.... No.6, 30gm.

forgot to add in my last post how many birds are pricked at 40 50 yards ok have used em meself in the past when i run out of shells on a hot day when the birds were coming in and i only had 1 box of 71/2s left in the car left over from a clay shoot id been to but i hit a good few that flew on in a cloud of feathers when 6s would bring em down its only fair to the quarry to use suitable carts.

forgot to add in my last post how many birds are pricked at 40 50 yards with 71/2s ok have used em meself in the past when i run out of shells on a hot day when the birds were coming in and i only had 1 box of 71/2s left in the car left over from a clay shoot id been to but i hit a good few that flew on in a cloud of feathers when 6s would bring em down its only fair to the quarry to use suitable carts.

Edited by yickdaz

forgot to add in my last post how many birds are pricked at 40 50 yards ok have used em meself in the past when i run out of shells on a hot day when the birds were coming in and i only had 1 box of 71/2s left in the car left over from a clay shoot id been to but i hit a good few that flew on in a cloud of feathers when 6s would bring em down its only fair to the quarry to use suitable carts.

I really don't think it's down to the cartridge. A mate of mine uses 5 shot and he pricks far more birds than i do with 7 1 /2 shot. Yesterday i shot a small bag on peas and i shot some cracking long range left and rights stone dead. I know they wouldn't have been killed any more sweetly with 6 shot. It's easy to start blaming cartridges and dismissing them as not up to the job when you miss or wound a couple of birds.

I really don't think it's down to the cartridge. A mate of mine uses 5 shot and he pricks far more birds than i do with 7 1 /2 shot. Yesterday i shot a small bag on peas and i shot some cracking long range left and rights stone dead. I know they wouldn't have been killed any more sweetly with 6 shot. It's easy to start blaming cartridges and dismissing them as not up to the job when you miss or wound a couple of birds.
so if you use 71/2s on duck geese and pheasant you will kill them cleanly... they are fine for snipe and clays. if its not down to the cartridge your mate must not be giving enough lead then. its my personal opinion that i prefer 6s for the job.and yes if you have read me last 3 posts i put me cartridge count and bag total. also lost and hit birds so there you go i still hit a few that fly on not to many i will add. used 6s for pigeon duck partridge pheasant crows rabbits woodcock even a couple of geese when out rough shooting so not blaming the shell at all its the same with any shot size if you don;t put the pattern right on the bird. i just think they are better suited than 71/2s as an all round shot size and so do a lot of shooters i have been out in the field with who have been doing it a lot longer than you and i. Edited by yickdaz