left behind

bullet1747

eve every one went out for a few hours this afternoon to try my berreta a303 , looks like some one was out in the same place as me yesterday (hedge flattened and snapped branches right mess)any way they left this http://i50.tinypic.com/fzc84z.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/http://i47.tinypic.....jpg32zmjde.jpg silly question any idea wot it was http://i47.tinypic.com/2pto21t.jpg

Edited by bullet1747

eve every one went out for a few hours this afternoon to try my berreta a303 , looks like some one was out in the same place as me yesterday (hedge flattened and snapped branches right mess)any way they left this http://i50.tinypic.com/fzc84z.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/http://i47.tinypic.....jpg32zmjde.jpg silly question any idea wot it was http://i47.tinypic.com/2pto21t.jpg

Loks like a black-headed gull to me.

A farm I shot many years ago had a few white doves about the yard, they preferred the barns to the dovecote supplied.

I shared the shooting with quite a few other guns and one day when looking along a hedgerow for a decent hide site, I found two of the doves dead in the long grass, among some woodie feathers.

Firstly making sure nobody was about, I shoved them as far down the nearest rabbit hole as I could and never mentioned it to anyone (until today).

Thats what I would have done with the black headed gull.

A farm I shot many years ago had a few white doves about the yard, they preferred the barns to the dovecote supplied.

I shared the shooting with quite a few other guns and one day when looking along a hedgerow for a decent hide site, I found two of the doves dead in the long grass, among some woodie feathers.

Firstly making sure nobody was about, I shoved them as far down the nearest rabbit hole as I could and never mentioned it to anyone (until today).

:good:

So no-one thinks that he should be trying to find out who it was and reporting them for taking illegal quarry?

What happened to the general 'always shoot within the law' mentality that usually gets posted on here? :hmm:

So no-one thinks that he should be trying to find out who it was and reporting them for taking illegal quarry?

What happened to the general 'always shoot within the law' mentality that usually gets posted on here? :hmm:

Personaly i would get rid off it, i can only imagine the pain in the bum problems of reporting it to RSPB or alike for the land owner and yourself. Hopefully the land owner would know who shot it and hopefully they would be kicked of the land.

There is nothing in "the law" to my knowledge, that says you have to report or investigate the shooting of unlawful quarry by someone else.

A most sensible answer.

How do we know the gull did not die of natural causes or hit a power line?:hmm:

I'm with cranfield, look for a deep rabbit hole, if not dig one yourself.

Edited by starlight32

There is nothing in "the law" to my knowledge, that says you have to report or investigate the shooting of unlawful quarry by someone else.

I did not mean on the part of the OP, but I would be very worried about sharing shooting land with anyone who did this kind of thing in case someone else (RSPB member, police etc) happened to find his discards and remembered seeing me shooting the land!!

I also think that to an extent we have a responsibility to report this kind of behaviour. If we do not police ourselves then others will only do it for us, undoubtedly to the detriment of the sport.

simple - who's to say the op wouldnt get the blame for it, bit convenient isnt it, "i found this when i was out shooting. its been shot. but it wasnt me. honest..." :rolleyes:

simple - who's to say the op wouldnt get the blame for it, bit convenient isnt it, "i found this when i was out shooting. its been shot. but it wasnt me. honest..." :hmm:

Possibly, but not nearly as likely to get the blame as if you are spotted disposing of someone else's illegal corpses (which could potentially lead to you being an accomplice in a wildlife crime if someone wanted to be picky), not something I would want to risk for the sake of protecting a bad shooter!

Edited by 955i

simple - who's to say the op wouldnt get the blame for it, bit convenient isnt it, "i found this when i was out shooting. its been shot. but it wasnt me. honest..." :hmm:

if that's a dig m8 i don't tell lies ,i might be new to to this sport but i take it very seriously.....................

I did not mean on the part of the OP, but I would be very worried about sharing shooting land with anyone who did this kind of thing in case someone else (RSPB member, police etc) happened to find his discards and remembered seeing me shooting the land!!

I also think that to an extent we have a responsibility to report this kind of behaviour. If we do not police ourselves then others will only do it for us, undoubtedly to the detriment of the sport.

I know what you are getting at and if I witnessed someone shooting a non legal quarry creature, I would probably intercede and also report it to the relevant authority.

In the circumstances as described by the OP, I stand by what I said in the earlier post.

I dont think so, there are far more important things to think about than a seagull.

Possibly, but not nearly as likely to get the blame as if you are spotted disposing of someone else's illegal corpses (which could potentially lead to you being an accomplice in a wildlife crime if someone wanted to be picky), not something I would want to risk for the sake of protecting a bad shooter!

Yep and what Ozzy said last, it would be just my luck as well. Besides, it would join the food chain in a day or two.

There's wisdom in them there words from cranfield starlight32 and those that share this view, bullet1747.

Twood be a good idea not to kick up a stink about one poor gull who's reason of death you are not sure of.

landowners in general don't like fuss and experience has shown me that the majority would take the easy option and stop ALL shooters from using their land.

They have more important things to occupy their time with.

955i you are spot on. Best we police ourselves. If we suspect a gun of driving on the headland, leaving dead cartridges and rubbish and all the other things we sometimes do, we politely ask them to persist or their permission will be revoked. We have no authority to do this, but they don't know that, and common sense usually prevails.

They are hardly going to say to the farmer "that fat pig in the landrover asked me to stop leaving my rubbish or I'll get thrown off" are they?

I would certainly have a word with the farmer/landowner although they might well be the culprit (they’re not known for being the tidiest people on the planet :P ). 1) You don’t want to be shooting land that some a hole is shooting illegal quarry on, and more to the point hasn’t the intelligence to dispose of afterwards, as it could backfire on you and 2) someone needs telling that you don’t leave cartridges and other mess behind you after a shoot day...clear it up!

If I find a farmer or worse a gamekeeper who's left cartridges behind I tend to pick 'em up and hand deliver them to the culprit and jsu say I found some litter lout had left stuff behind. :good: They'll get the message soon enough. ;)