Owners reviews

Super major

Hello,

I'm looking for a 4x4 and at the moment and am leaning more towards a Daihatsu Fourtrak more than anything for a few reasons.

I've always had a soft spot for them,

Really simple mechanics - not too many wires under the bonnet!

They aren't as expensive as a Defender

I know their main faults fairly well e.g. gearbox problem - easy fix, rust

Problem is I've been finding it hard to find one, even harder to find a rust free one so I've started browsing other 4x4's but could do with your views as I'm only familiar with the Daihatsus. My budget is around £3500.

Looked at Dicoverys but read they have reliability issues

Recent shoguns look nice but I've read get gearbox troubles at about 60,000 miles, and being a more modern vehicle I've scared about the electrics under the bonnet - Don't know anything about the older shoguns (late 90's) though!

Like the look of Nissan Patrols but they seem expensive to buy, would imagine they won't do many mpg and I don't know anything about them in terms of reliability.

Hadn't particularly considered a pickup as I keep tools in my vehicle so would need to keep them secure - don't really trust them truckman tops.

Think a half decent Defender is out of the question on my budget!

If anyone would like to share their views on the 4x4 they own that'd be great.

Thanks,

Rob

I bought a vauxhall frontera sport swb,2.0ltr petrol apache ltd edtion purely for shooting(well you got to have toys),it came with bull bars and spot lights,16" alloy wheeels 225,16,75 tyres,rock sliders etc.

It has been good all through out the winter on the road and over muddy lanes and never got stuck even with the road tyres

mpg,not good 24 ish,put in 4wd and watch the needle go down

on road it is very comfortable not overly powerful,would idealy be bigger diesel engine

elec windows/mirrors

tinted glass

central locking

abs

adjustable steering colum

alarm/immobiliser,this is the worst bit,it has fob on colum and you have to be quick or it goes off <_<

series a n reg,cheap as chips with old style switches

no rust,and dont think they rust anywhere except rear of cill

BEST bit is the rear lid comes off or you can take whole back end off,this is main reason i bought it,there is no better vechicle to shoot from :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have no regrets about buying the fronty,i did look at other 4x4 inc defender,loved the look but not the maintenance,suzuki to small,bumpy and poss lot of welding,would have considered trooper but then thats same as frontera.

For your budget you could get a good frontera with all the trimmings,have a look at muddyfronteras.com

atb

Karl

i'm also a huge fan of the Fronty - i have an S reg B series SWB 2.0i petrol

bought purely as a shooting wagon, it's fantastic.

just sailed through another MOT.

Whole new exhaust was need when i bought it - cost £60 for the lot!

Paid £900 for it two years ago.

Thanks for the replies so far :rolleyes:

Had looked at a trooper (same as Frontera as you said vampire) at local Garage and he said they had a recall when they first came out but most should have been done.

nickbeardo- just personal preference but mine would have to be a diesel, not to say you can't have a petrol engine in a 4x4 but I've always preferred diesels.

BaconBoy - Yes 21 year old land rover and still reliable, aren't many manufacturers that can claim that. However, even at 21 years old they still want too much money for them.

Been doing a little research into late 90's shoguns and its all seeming good so far.

Forgot to mention in opening post but my 4x4 will be more of a van/workhorse than a car, can't be a vehicle that I'm frightened of getting muddy/oily. At the moment I have a little berlingo van but I'm starting to need 4 wheel drive and a vehicle that can tow a decent weight i.e. mini digger.

Thanks,

Rob

mate i own a 96 disco, had her 3 years now and paid 1300 from an auction, i love her she is great, i recently bought a haynes manual and its saved me a total of over a grand, yes if you use a garage they are exspensive to repair but with the manual and the help from all the guys on the land rover forums they are a pleasure to own, a try shooting mans car,plus i get over 30 to the gallon out of her, good luck with the shoping, cheers matt

Give us a bit more to consider.......................

What do you want it to do ?

How much/serious off roading ?

Will you use it as an everyday car ?

There's no simple answer and your gonna get loads of "unbiased" opinions.................NOT :rolleyes:

But remember one thing, Vitara's are for girls :rolleyes:<_<

I had a 3.1TD Vauxhall Monteray, (same as the Trooper), years ago. A bit thirsty but great off road and was incredibly reliable. Loads of room in them and very comfy on/off road. I loved it, had it for approx' 3 years and drove it for apporx' 80,000 miles without a main issue, apart from one wheel bearing and tyres/pads. I think it had about 175,000 miles on it when we got rid of it.

21 YEAR OLD LANDROVER '90

IT'S GREAT AND RELIABLE :rolleyes:

mine's a 20 year old 90 also put a 200tdi in mine very reliable motor my mates 15 year old 90 also reliable my previous 90 also reliable people who say 90's are not reliable are full of poo or obviously buy old dogs without paying attention to the mechanicals :rolleyes:

I have a VW Touareg, 06 plate, which you could get now for about half of what I paid for mine a couple of years ago!

Few problems, sorted out on warranty. It has never let me down and have driven it to Spain, France and Italy. Very comfortable to drive for 8-9 hours solid and with air suspension and a set of all terrain tyres is also great off road too - never let me down either pigeon shooting or on a game day.

cheers,

I have owned a fourtrak although currently have a landcruiser and defender.

The fourtrak ( indy) was a fantastic vehicle, good for towing (originally bought to bring a boat back from holland) reliable with only a few jobs needed. we bought it at around 45k miles and until jan this year we had it upto abut 118k In this time it had a new clutch, repaired fuel tank, water pump, cv boots, new exhaust back box and front downpipe, and a small repair to an outrigger. The only reason we don't still have it is that during the winter I was out when it was -18 and the coolant froze taking the head out eventually. I would certainly reccomend one as a great vehicle for the price.

The landcruiser (120 series) is a great vehicle, a good amount of power on tap and tremendously comfortable / quiet for a 4x4. Only had it 5 months or so so can't really comment too much on it. It is a great tow vehicle though and seems to average around 28mpg for normal driving upto about 32mpg on a run.

I've also got recently bought a defender 90 for off roading and shooting. personally i wouldn't reccomend one unless you enjoy playing with spanners and have other vehicles to drive just in case.

you mention the patrol. i'm a big fan of them although haven't owned one so can't really comment. however they are supposed to have one of the strongest drivetrains of any production vehicle. and the 6 cylinder 2.8 is a very reliable unit.

but have a look and take your choice. at the end of the day you have to find something that you are comfortable driving.

There's no simple answer and your gonna get loads of "unbiased" opinions.................NOT :good:

But remember one thing, Vitara's are for girls ;):P

Have to agree with this, no simple answer. I ran L200 for 9 years absolutely brilliant, all I had to replace was viscous coupling fan (came from scrap yard) a coulpe of wheel bearings and routine servicing. I am not a mechanic and had it serviced at local garage for 178,000. Now run a disco 2, only had it 12 months so can't really comment about major reliability but have already had suspension and fuel problems.

Best of luck with your search.

I have had a manual Daihatsu sportrak 1.6i petrol - it was in good condition (one lady owner from new) and there was nothing wrong with it. Easy to get on with, jap low maintenance and a go anywhere kind of vehcile. Down sides were (1) surprisingly heavy on the petrol (2) 5th gear was rubbish - on an A road 70 mph was 4,500 revs plus and sounded like you were murdering it. The only reason I got rid of it was because someone drove into the back of it whilst I was stationary at a zebra crossing.

Since then I have had an 02 plate box standard manual TD5 Disco. Again, I got lucky and bought the right one. Whilst it had about 120k miles on the clock when I bought it, it was another one owner from new vehcile and all the regular servicing had been carried out. It now has 155k miles on the clock and I have had to have one wheel bearing done and a set of discs and pads (normal servicing stuff). That's it. It gets serviced regularly and doesn't miss a beat. It will go anywhere, cruise at 80 mph all day long and with the seats down it's like a van. The only down side to it is that it's slow, but hey you can't have everything. I would buy another one tomorrow and out of all of the cars I have had, there's none that leap out as something which I would ever consider buying again.

I've had a fourtrak as well, it was fine did what it said on the tin good off road not bad on. Don't believe people who always seem to get 30mpg out of them I never did more like 26 if lucky. It was reliable but it was starting to sucumb to tin worm so in the end I sold it and replaced with an L200, far better on road better economy and with decent tyres not bad off road. Add to that a far better vehicle to lamp from and I'd have another one and probably will when I swap it for a new shape

2000 reg Disco 2.5 TD5 for me.

Had a Freelander but massive reliability problems so got shut.

Discovery does everything I want, is comfy and easy to drive long distance. No more fuel consumption than the Freelander 1.8.

Paid £4900 for it and, while it had a few issues when I got it (leaking airbag on passenger side, air flow sensor broken) this was fixed myself for less than £170 including replacing both air springs. Got this one as I believe that this was the last model that you could realistically work on yourself.

Highly recommend it. Although others makes would probably give better mileage they all have one problem.....they aren't a Land Rover :good:

I never have owned a Fourtrak but I know a few who have and they swear by them...that's probably why you're having such a hard time finding one; they're like gold dust. If that's what you really really want then keep looking I don't think you'll be disappointed.

There's no simple answer and your gonna get loads of "unbiased" opinions.................NOT :hmm:

But remember one thing, Vitara's are for girls :hmm::stupid:

What do you want it to do? Ideally I'm looking for a two seat commercial 4x4 so I've plenty of room to chuck tools in the back and it needs to be able to tow a good size trailer. If I can't find a commercial I may just get a car version if there's enough boot space.

How much/ serious off roading? I'm not going to be using it as an off road toy i.e. seeing how far I can push it till it gets stuck. It needs to get me to work on Monday so I don't really want to be breaking it on a weekend. However, I will be driving across fields and into woods so need a competent 4x4. I know the Fourtrak's ground clearence is a bit of a weak point but I dont think that should be too much of a problem for my needs. Am I correct in thinking that Shoguns have diff lock?

Will you use it as an everyday car? Yes but I don't do much mileage at all so ride comfort isn't top priority.

Yes it's very fair comment to say that people will always reccomend their favourite whatever you're asking about ; cars, guns, dogs..... that doesn't make any contribution any less valuable though. It's nice to hear the horror stories before you buy something though.

I do all my own car repairs which keeps steering me towards getting a late 90's car as opposed to a newer one (I know I sound like a broken record but it's a very important consideration). I might just have to concede and take a risk on a newer one but I'd rather not.

Interesting comment on the Nissan Patrol, only thing with them seems to be the price people are asking for them (although you're probably getting a lot of car for your money).

Keep hearing of lots of 4x4's with 100,000+miles still going well but something in my head tells me not to buy one above 100,000 but I'd happily run one I already had well past that which is a bit daft I suppose, especially seen as I only do around 7000miles max a year.

Keep 'em coming :good:

Thanks,

Rob

ps think the VW Tourag might be a bit out of budget :good:

If you are thinking possibly an estate car then have a look at the shogun sport as that might well tick most of the boxes. All that would put me off fourtraks and this is from an ex owner is partly the agricultural feel but also as they get older the chances of a decent one get less and less