shotgun laws bound to be tightend because of 1 man

It looks as if the media are jumping on the band wagon, just as they did with the financial crash that has left us in the mess we are now in. They tend to report only the bad and gruesome side of what is a really tragic affair and all respect and condolences to the families who are suffering. But we are not all bad and the overwhelming majority of us level headed law abiding citizens who are totally repulsed by what has happened.

My local BBC TV station has just called for comments about tightening up the gun laws. There are more of the population not interested in our sport than are, so you can expect a biased response. I am not opposed to stricter regulations that are really appropriate, but how do you legislate for the single person of otherwise good character suffering a complete metal breakdown without completely removing firearms from the equation and our right to own them?

Again I write this with the greatest respect for all those who have been affected by this dreadful affair

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it does sound like the public want to see us lose our shooting rights ! And it sounds like both the SG and rifle were leagally held !

As said before though if he didnt have guns it would of been a knife or other tool ! Its not the guns fault its the blokes and he would of done what he did one way or the other anyway. So we will have to hope that we arent punished by a knee-jerk reaction of the public and the government !

I just listened to a BASC spokesperson on BBC R2 news put a point across, that the law change following the Hungerford and Dunblane incidents failed to protect the people of Cumbria.....

Fair point, as the only people to own automatic weapons and handguns are the criminals!

Yes its all very sad but who here thinks getting a Shotgun is too easy?

I think its about right, what they can NEVER protect from is the change in peoples mentality and to protect from the effects from that you would have to license all items which could be classed as a weapon from diy stores etc etc.. hell anything you can hit someone with surley..

its a teflon coated slippery slope.

Ill sit in my armchair and wait..

RIP those who have suffered at the hands of this man.

I just listened to a BASC spokesperson on BBC R2 news put a point across, that the law change following the Hungerford and Dunblane incidents failed to protect the people of Cumbria.....

Fair point, as the only people to own automatic weapons and handguns are the criminals!

Not strictly true, it sounds as though he owned a semi automatic .22

now to me that is a dangerous statement as potentially banning all firearms would have stopped this incident as he wouldn't have had easy access to them. Its a sorry state a guy has gone over the edge and because he had access to firearms he was able to use them in a horrific way. Potentially this could have been stopped at a few stages judging by reports so far, had his friend who disarmed him the night before called the police he would have had his guns seized. After that had the hospital he apparently went to taken it seriously this may have not boiled over, the simple fact is we have very stringent gun laws at the moment and these things will happen however its been 10 years since the last one. If you were a relative of one of the murdered people I would guess you would be looking for some form of action to be taken I know I would. Mental health is something that is hard to understand and if there is a lesson to be learned it is if you have any concerns a fellow SGC/FAC holder may be going near the edge a call to the police might be the best thing for them as well as everybody else.

Is there any logic or grounds for this peculiar comment or is it just another anti-CPSA rant?

Not a rant more of an observation...I’ve always been much more of a ‘hunter’ than a ‘shooter’ and many years ago when I had a long chat with some guy from the CPSA following the cancelation of my membership (by me) it was plain they really only wanted to support ‘shooters’. They are after all the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association so why would they want to support any other type of shooting? If push ever comes to shove and we look like losing ‘hunting’ for any reason I believe the CPSA would not support ‘live quarry’ shooting and may even campaign against it.

It has been reported that Bird had initially armed himself with two guns on Tuesday night, but was disarmed by a friend.

Bird is then believed to have sought medical help at a local hospital for his fragile mental state, only to be turned away.

No gun laws could of prevented this from happening,

But in the above quote, his mate, & the Hospital could of.

This is a terrible thing to happen and our thoughts should be with the familes involded with this.

I hope that there is no knee jerk reaction by the goverment to impose stupid restriction that won't stop anyone determinded to do anything.

As its been said this man decided to use his sg he could have just a easy took a house hold object like a bread knife.

if anyone is that determinded to do something only intervension will stop it!!!

two things should cleared up though.

what did the police not stop him after the first incident? there was 3 hour start to finish..... but there was no mention of armed responce.... why not!

maybe the first few incident could not have been stopped but with moden policeing, helecopters ( that the send up for speeding motorists) i would have hope this could have come to a end sooner. The news report said the car drove past police offices after the taxi driver was shot!

And on the ITN report they kept going on about the amount of ammo used, making out like the amount of ammo he had was the cause....

without worring too much how many of us buy just a box or two!!!

unfortunatly all we can hope is for no silly reaction by the goverment

Ile repeat wat I said on the other thread, the nobility and their purdeys won't be affected,so neither should we,ure still gonna need pest/deer/fox control no matter what.they may put sgc in line with fac,which wouldent be a bad thing as the people I've seen in the past with sgc I wouldent trust to run a bath. Their are about 65000 people in the uk who carry a personal defence pistol ex army, mp's security etc has this been mentioned to the. Frantic believe anything public? Are they gonna get banned? As far as yet this nutter looks like a vermin shooter,and this may also be an area they may tighten up on,getting basc trained logging shoots getting them sigend off buy landowner etc.I dunno ultimately how bad it will get.

We are in touch with the Home Secretary's Teresa May’s office at the Home Office and are discussing the implications.

We will be responding on the national media to the content of the parliamentary statement expected at lunchtime.

We expect that the statement will not recommend any immediate legislative change and will warn against a kneejerk response.

David

"what did the police not stop him after the first incident? there was 3 hour start to finish..... but there was no mention of armed responce.... why not!"

This seems very fishy to me. You hear of 8 year olds getting shot by armed response for pointing replicas at the police and alwful shooters getting the swat treatment but when somebody actually does go on a killing rampage ARVs are nowhere to be found.

I think we are not getting the full story here.

I understand , from what the ACC Cumbria said yesterday, that there are three ARV's in Cumbria 'live' at any one time with a further number - up to 5 I believe, available for call up, but ths may take up to one hour for these extra units to come 'on line' as it were.

So it depends where the live ARV's are in relation to the incident as to how quickly they can get there. I am led to believe an ARV was on the scene quickly, in Whitehaven, but by that time Bird had moved on.

David

No gun laws could of prevented this from happening,

But in the above quote, his mate, & the Hospital could of.

Difficult to say, depending on who you read/listen to. some of the other reports say that he actually was not seen at the local hospital at all, just a press rumour. Hard to know who to believe, I am just so sorry for all the people affected by this man's actions.

Of course, provided you know where the person is - GPS is great, I use it all the time, it tells me where I am and if I put in a post code it tells me where I need to go... but when targeting a criminal you need a visual fix....

I believe the police did all they could in the circumstances, but doubtless there will be an enquiry and lessons will be learned by the police and the other services that had to deal with this – though hopefully they will never ever have to face anything like this again.

Daivd

From the BBC website.....

'The UK has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world. If you want to own a gun, it is very difficult to do so'

Really?

How many people do you reckon apply for firearms just because they want a gun? The old classic

'I've just got my SGC/FAC could somebody help me as I've no where to shoot' or 'I already have two .22's but I want another one, what should I say on my application?'

The system needs tightened. Over here shotguns, air rifles, rifles etc are held on an FAC. If you don't have a good reason to have them then you don't get them.

'The UK has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world. If you want to own a gun, it is very difficult to do so'

Really?

How many people do you reckon apply for firearms just because they want a gun? The old classic

'I've just got my SGC/FAC could somebody help me as I've no where to shoot' or 'I already have two .22's but I want another one, what should I say on my application?'

The system needs tightened. Over here shotguns, air rifles, rifles etc are held on an FAC. If you don't have a good reason to have them then you don't get them.

i'm sorry - but i have never seen a post with someone who had 'just got a fac' and has nowhere to shoot!!!! i know from personal experience the process is, and should be stringent, an FAC is only granted if you can prove you have somewhere to use it.

Really?

[/quote to me a good reason to have a sgc/fac is to join in the sport no, or you saying we should,nt have one unless we are gamekeepers etc you wont be stopped playing golf if your not a greenkeeper would ya .explain what you think a good reason is :angry:

Really?

to me a good reason to have a sgc/fac is to join in the sport no, or you saying we should,nt have one unless we are gamekeepers etc you wont be stopped playing golf if your not a greenkeeper would ya .explain what you think a good reason is

Really?

What? I doubt thats the case at all. And people may get a SGC before they have land for a couple of reasons. Clay pigeon shooter curious about the sport? Farmers reluctant to give permission until they see a SGC? You don't get given a SGC. If your looking for land to shoot on then obviously you don't want a SGC jsut for the sake of having one. Tightening of gun law will only manage to stop enthusiasts from shooting and leave only those left in the industry be able to shoot. And when the general public can't get involved i think you will see the industry decline rapidly.

Edited by Bombadil