shotgun laws bound to be tightend because of 1 man

i'm sorry - but i have never seen a post with someone who had 'just got a fac' and has nowhere to shoot!!!! i know from personal experience the process is, and should be stringent, an FAC is only granted if you can prove you have somewhere to use it.

What happens if you lose your original permission for the rifle? How many would hand in the rifle because they have no further use for it?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if you lose your original permission for the rifle? How many would hand in the rifle because they have no further use for it?

Probably most people if they never intend on shooting again. However i'm sure people hold on to there licenses and guns in the hopes of finding new permission.

The Home Secretary’s announcement that the full facts behind the Cumbria murders must be established before any move is made to review firearms law.

These comments have just been echoed by the PM on BBC TV

Every legitimate firearms owner, along with the rest of the country, is still in shock after the appalling events in Cumbria, and our thoughts are with the community and the affected families.

Inevitably questions are being raised about the UK’s firearms licensing laws. Those controls are amongst the toughest in the world. It is essential that the police and other agencies are given all the time they need to complete their investigations and enquiries. That will doubtless include an examination of the licensing circumstances in this case.

We welcome the Government’s commitment to take a cautious approach to any review of firearms laws, and BASC will contribute its expertise to any such review. BASC staff work day-in, day-out dealing with lawful shotgun and firearms owners and police forces over licensing issues. Incidents of this nature are extremely rare in this country and the UK needs a working firearms licensing system which balances use with public safety.

Shotguns and rifles are essential tools of the countryside, used in agricultural pest control, stalking, game shooting and target shooting.

We will fight for you I promise.

David

Something will have to be seen to be done.

Cannot see an outright ban though.

Personally i think Dunblain was handled badly, the laws governing ownership should have been tightened up not an overall ban on a class of weapon.

Have seen it said that perhaps yearly GP interview should be considered, wrong IMO they are not generally trained in the right areas.

There are ways to asess suitability/stability of an applicant but unfortunatley require expert handling (fairly costly) but one off.

Cannot remember what the method is called but HMG speed awareness course uses it.

Anyone here done it and can name the tecnique?

As already stated by others-our FAC/SGC system is already pretty strict and i cant honestly see them banning gun ownership because its a multi million pound industry which benefits the goverment too.Plus its a legitemate form of pest control,sport etc.So possibly all gun owners might have to be evaluated mentally every couple of years?

thats why we need an organisation speaking up for us to educate people on the legitimate use. We have to work with the government to work out what went wrong in this case and how to be seen to work towards it not happening again. The system works well its just not infalible when one person flips. They will be going through his GP records etc and perhaps who knows it may be that if you do get seen for mental illness it becomes notifiable to the police if you are a SGC / FAC holder as at the moment this would only turn up on renewal. We've got to be seen to help not obstruct as it is in all our favours to stop this happening, after all if your family was involved you would be wanting answers

Well, I think there needs to be a change regarding .22LR licensing, its often seen as a first stepping caliber..."edited out"...

I can not see the new parliament using this to crush us with some legislation laws however as David Cameron himself has said that a knee-jerk reaction is not what is needed, however I fear public pressure will cry for something perhaps in the future?

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

Well, I tihnk there must be a tightening on .22LR licensing, its seen as a first caliber to go with but its actually quite dangerous, silent and highly lethal!!

Steve

Just like a knife then? :angry:

I'm not having a go at you per se but i think we need to be careful about the things that we are posting on a website open to public viewing and will no doubt now be being scoured by the press and anti's for 'juicy' quotes :(

Mark

I'm not having a go at you per se but i think we need to be careful about the things that we are posting on a website open to public viewing and will no doubt now be being scoured by the press and anti's for 'juicy' quotes :(

Mark

Never has a truer word been said :angry:

I just heard this on the news..."if firearms were banned then this would never of happened"...yea and if you chop your head off you'll never get any head aches!

To be honest it would be easier for me living where i do in Bristol, get hold of a handgun and go on a rampage than it would be for me to do it with a legally owned shotgun.

Changes will happen, I really feel for all involved and this should not happen, but it has and there is no turning back. I also hope this never occurs again.

On the other hand -

I hope all shooting associations are fighting for shooting / shooters on no silly restrictions and not negotiating with the government (already) on compulsory training / psychological tests on all gun holders run by them. (This thought has entered my mind quiet a few times over the last 24 hours).

Peter Bleksley (I think thats his surname) ex police, has just said guns should be for police and army only, there is no reason why the public should have such weapons.

What a plonker!!

him saying that is a joke, years ago a policeman left a hand gun on a roof of a car and drove off.some one handed it in to a police staion. then another one left one in a toilet.they cant be trused.

A witness (Barry Moss) who tried to help a dying female, said on the news, "Why did a taxi driver have shotguns/fireams"

and

"If the guns are for shooting rabbits, then (they) are not doing a very good jobs because there are still 100's about"

and

"If people want to own guns, they should join a shooting club"

Just what we need to hear from someone who. obviously hasn't a clue what he's talking about. I'm sorry for his ordeal, it must have been terrible for him.

When the Hungerford shootings happened, the (then) Home Secretary, Douglas Hurd, banned 5 shot shotguns, although Michael Ryan never used one.

I wait and see what the government will throw at us next. :good:

Very glad to hear David Cameron insisting that there will be no 'Knee Jerk' changes to firearms laws following this. He made it very clear that we have some of the strictest laws in the world and it needn't become any stricter.

I am so so so so so so glad that man is in power. :good:

Guest topshot_2k
Very glad to hear David Cameron insisting that there will be no 'Knee Jerk' changes to firearms laws following this. He made it very clear that we have some of the strictest laws in the world and it needn't become any stricter.

I am so so so so so so glad that man is in power. :good:

indeed brown would have banned the lot.

Although wasnt it the tories who banned handguns?

indeed brown would have banned the lot.

Although wasnt it the tories who banned handguns?

Yes, it was. So it's not always Labour who ban everything :good:

Anyway, here is the video of DC saying no Knee Jerk reactions.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385"> Edited by Billy.