shotgun laws bound to be tightend because of 1 man

Shotgun applications will probably become almost the same as firearms because 1 man has gon around and killed 12 people and injured 25 with a shotgun and an assult rifle police dont yet know which wepons killed who and how many what do people think will the laws be tightend. the shooter was a very trusted man a taxi driver but just seemed to crack and go on a rampage.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shotgun applications will probably become almost the same as firearms because 1 man has gon around and killed 12 people and injured 25 with a shotgun and an assult rifle police dont yet know which wepons killed who and how many what do people think will the laws be tightend. the shooter was a very trusted man a taxi driver but just seemed to crack and go on a rampage.

If that's all that comes of this horrific act, than we (shooters) have come off lightly.

Worrying and speculating won't do any good.

Time to get the BASC subscription paid up. I note they were the only shooting organisation on the telly.

Looks like that BASC purpose built media centre wasn't such a bad idea......

What happens to shooters and the shooting community from now will be decided by the public and by the media.

Edited by Mungler

I dont think it will make that much differnece. Far more people are killed by knives stabbings everyday. Its like when their is a plane crash all the attention goes on making air travel safer when in the same time far more people have being killed on the roads. However the old say so few can ruin it for so many spring to mind. Thoughts go to the friends and families.

I think that we all need to calm down and wait and see if there will be legislation changes.

I believe from news reports that the 2nd weapon was a .22 rifle and not an assault rifle.

If the law changes I won't be happy, I gave up keeping lurchers due to a change in the law, I love GB and will abide by the law, we need to be level headed about this tragic event.

I would think the general public and some police officers will class any synthetic stocked gun as an assault rifle.

Also the vast majority of illegal shotguns will be sawn off jobs.

Edited by markm

I dont think it will make that much differnece. Far more people are killed by knives stabbings everyday. Its like when their is a plane crash all the attention goes on making air travel safer when in the same time far more people have being killed on the roads. However the old say so few can ruin it for so many spring to mind. Thoughts go to the friends and families.

Thats exactly what i thaught and i reely feel for everyone affected by this

I know that these weapons were probably legally held,

but is it not time for another arms amnesty??

I handed in a couple of .38 starting pistols a couple of weeks ago.

A push is needed to keep firearms safe to demonstrate to the public that gun owners are responsible people.

Mmm, am going to put my air weapons under lock & key over the next few days.

Your thoughts..

Mmm, am going to put my air weapons under lock & key over the next few days.

Your thoughts..

My BSA XL Tactical is kept in the cabinet next to the Lanber. There's space and it's no bother to visit the cabinet when I need it - better to be safe than misplacing it or having the other half knock it over. Shoot, clean and lock away - less hassle and always know they're as clean as spotless as I've made them.

Time to get the BASC subscription paid up. I note they were the only shooting organisation on the telly.

What happens to shooters and the shooting community from now will be decided by the public and by the media.

:good::good::lol:

One wonders how much the NHS failed this guy who did the shooting? What with all the pressure to "not single out" the village ...................?

Another fine point made sir. I still believe that the other shooting organisations should merge with BASC. They may all cover different aspects of the sport but without the basics i.e gun ownership etc etc there would be no point in any of them.

Dan

I am sure that there will be lots of flack in the next few months directed towards us gun owners . For those of us who can remember the hand gun ban will remember that it was the Tory party that banned the guns because of the pressure from the labour party and the anti gun lobby .

At the time of Dunblane we were running up to a general election and the toads that we call politicions were all trying to jump on the band waggon and grab some of the sympathy votes . So they all shouted ban handguns . The only difference this time is that we have just had a general election and they wont be trying to cadge votes for re-election .

The best advice I can see at the moment is for us all to join the BASC . They are going to have to earn their wages now and they will need lots of financial backing . The antis will be out in force now .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I am sure that there will be lots of flack in the next few months directed towards us gun owners . For those of us who can remember the hand gun ban will remember that it was the Tory party that banned the guns because of the pressure from the labour party and the anti gun lobby .

At the time of Dunblane we were running up to a general election and the toads that we call politicions were all trying to jump on the band waggon and grab some of the sympathy votes . So they all shouted ban handguns . The only difference this time is that we have just had a general election and they wont be trying to cadge votes for re-election .

The best advice I can see at the moment is for us all to join the BASC . They are going to have to earn their wages now and they will need lots of financial backing . The antis will be out in force now .

Harnser .

A new coalition government with the Lib Dems involved may be very bad news. The Lib Dems were always the most anti gun and anti fieldsports of the three major parties but nobody took them seriously because it didn't seem likely they would ever get the chance to put their policies into practice.

A new coalition government with the Lib Dems involved may be very bad news. The Lib Dems were always the most anti gun and anti fieldsports of the three major parties but nobody took them seriously because it didn't seem likely they would ever get the chance to put their policies into practice.

I was listening to LBC radio on the way home last night and it was the lib dem guy who was the one that made the strongest argument against greater control on gun licensing. The labour and tory also seemed to be against greater control but seemed to be a bit more on the fence than the lib dem. I don't think he was an mp though but a London assembly council member.

I have no doubt that there will be a review of the current laws, but only after the investigation has been finished and reports delivered.

Just because there is a review does not mean anything will change- although it would be a brave man to be against change I grant you!

We may get an indication this afternoon when the home Sec makes a statement to the house...lets see.

What ever happens, BASC will be in at the ground floor working for shooting as you would expect.

David

What a pessimistic bunch of no hope ers you guys are! :angry:

Chill, :( we have a different bunch of people running this government and I think they have enough sense to know that banning guns will NOT reduce gun crime (which in any event isn’t committed with legally held weapons) and that you cannot legislate for nutters.

We, the legitimate gun owning citizens, are in a far better position than we were at the time of Hungerford or Dunblane and BASC are in a far better position to back us up. Yes the powers that be may well take a look at the current legislation and may even make some changes (which might be for the better as much of our gun law has been cobbled together over many years and is to say the least, complicated) but at the end of the day I’m confident we’ll keep our guns. :lol:

I note some of you have mentioned the lack of comment from the CA, CPSA and other ‘shooting’ organisations. As we’ve (mostly) always said on here BASC are the only shooting organisation fully committed to saving our sport. The CA grew out of the old ‘hunting/fieldsports’ organisation and have taken the reins for the countryside in general whilst still having a ‘fox hunting’ bias. The CPSA (IMO) would love to see shotguns banned only to be available at registered shooting grounds for clay ‘target’ shooting and have no interest in us ‘live quarry’ shooters. The ‘others’ have about as much clout as a wet sponge and tend to exist simply to provide alternative ‘insurance’ deals.