Worth getting a rangefinder?

RichPWRR

Hi guys,

I am currently shooting a .22LR and for the last couple of months have been thinking of getting a laser rangefinder. I know with the .22 the difference between a few yards can make the difference between a clean kill and not, especially at the further end of the scale. My question is, do you think it is worth getting a LRF or not?

I know a lot of people will say, "Get a .17 and then just point and shoot." but I don't want a .17. This is for a number of reasons, not least the fact that you have to think about what you are doing with the trajectory on a .22 and the skill is half the fun. I shoot a lot of bigger calibres and don't find the whole 'Point and shoot' aspect particularly challenging.

All opinions would be gratefully recieved.

Rich

Like yourself I like to know exactly what's happening at a given distance and a rangefinder is necessary in order to achieve this.

I dont use it too often but will always keep one,its surprising how close you can guess a range and also how far out you can be .

I find them very useful .. practice is making my estimating better too.

Chatting to a bow hunter and if you think a 22 has a an arch try a hunting bow on a small deer ... he reckons a metre or so out can be a clean miss. .. so ranges everything.

Like yourself I like to know exactly what's happening at a given distance and a rangefinder is necessary in order to achieve this.

I dont use it too often but will always keep one,its surprising how close you can guess a range and also how far out you can be .

Yep and eventually you'll need it less and less as the memory bank kicks in. Surprised you don't use one for the larger calibres, but note the PW in pwrr.

Cheers

I have never had a rangefinder but often go out with those that have, and I do find them useful...but then I'm not carrying it and I didn't buy it.

I have considered buying one for several years but haven't bothered so far, I have been tempted, and close on several occasions.

They have a use and I know I would find them useful, I work between 12ft lb air rifle and 2800ft lb .308...with a lot in between!

I am always interested in threads like this, and I know I will invest in one...just a matter of when! :wub:

yep theyre very useful, especially as you said at the further end of the scale with a 22lr. last boxing day my friend told me he set a few targets out for the rifles at 120 yards and was expecting me to hit them with the 22lr. easy enough, except when i put the range finder on it they were actually at 187 yards :wub::good:

I had one but sold it, now regretting it so will probably buy another. I found it tricky to range accurately when you're laying prone as it's easy to hit a bit of grass in front or behind the rabbit as you're looking almost horizontally down the field but having sold them I do miss them as I used them quite a bit too as binos.

I find I tend to scan the field resting on my elbows then lay down behind the scope to check what I'm seeing in the distance and then find I can't see it due to the long grass. With the rangefinders (or binos) you can have a closer look while still up on your elbows then you know it's worth scoping and waiting for bugs to pop out from behind that thistle.

I'd also suggest zeroing at 55 yards as it makes the LR a little flatter on those 30-40yard shots

I had a Leica LRF that was too big to carry out int he field all the time, so once I got over the novelty it just sat in trhe cupboard, so I sold it.

I then bought a Leica CRF mainly as I had an opportunity to get it cheap abroad, same thing, used it for a while and now don't bother.

IMO they are useful for setting out a target for zeroing. or confirming you know/don't know your ranges but I could never see me talking one out every time, you have learn how to estimate distances and trust your judgement at some time, especially at .22 ranges.

I've got one and it lives in the truck, I only really use it for zeroing or taking long shots which is fairly rare. Last time I used it was with a wary fox that just used to pop out into a small clearing in crops where the only vantage point was it appears 247 yards away and it did let me confirm that so i knew what drop to allow. Though that said had i just aimed high ish on the body I would have been fine anyway. Generally they are only useful when testing your ability and for checking distances to get an idea. I now know most of the lamping points we have and what sort of range they are so rarely use it. If you're walking then its just another thing to carry

Hi guys,

I am currently shooting a .22LR and for the last couple of months have been thinking of getting a laser rangefinder. I know with the .22 the difference between a few yards can make the difference between a clean kill and not, especially at the further end of the scale. My question is, do you think it is worth getting a LRF or not?

I was just thinking about this the other day so interesting to hear different opinions :look:

Without stealing the thread..how accaurate are the 'range finders' on scopes which you adjust untill the image comes into focus? Can't say im completely convinced by the one ony leupold :good:

how accaurate are the 'range finders' on scopes which you adjust untill the image comes into focus? Can't say im completely convinced by the one ony leupold :good:

Not bad if you're using high mag but I shoot on 6x on my Varmint II, can pretty much put the parallax anywhere and the image will stay sharp unless I'm right on top of the target (<10yards)