Wheat

proTOM1

just seeing if anyone else has seen birds dropping in on there wheat as yet ?

Seen 2 fields with alot of birds dropping in ,1 with over 500 sat above on the wires and birds dropping in the other exploded when i arrived to have alook with what i could see well over 300 birds :lol:

Tom

Seen 2 fields with alot of birds dropping in ,1 with over 500 sat above on the wires and birds dropping in the other exploded when i arrived to have alook with what i could see well over 300 birds :good:

Tom

not yet the wheat is not far enough on and none layed round me. but good numbers on layed barley but small patches and would drop most in the standing crop.

Seen 2 fields with alot of birds dropping in ,1 with over 500 sat above on the wires and birds dropping in the other exploded when i arrived to have alook with what i could see well over 300 birds :good:

Tom

just saw a few crows dropping in on barley

almost every wheat field ive looked at today had birds dropping in none laid and farmers are not that keen for them to get shot due to them not doing alot of damage and we the shooters will do more ,only 1 farmer is keen for me to keep watching then shoot if i feel its right too got 1 field with a small laid patch which has been made by kids playing around in it so will keep my eye on that .

All the wheat is very milky and the birds are loving it also spotted a few on sugar beet but none on the pea stubbles and hundreds on the edge of a lake till my mate setup on them and shot 34 in just over 2 hours :yes::good:

Seen a few around staffordshire. All wheat is still standing and they are just dropping in it .I watched them for about half an hour today and couldnt decide if it was the grain they were eating or the small weeds underneath the canopy.May have to shoot a few tomorrow to find out. :good:

seen about 3 to 400 on a couple of wheat fields where i shoot there is about 60acres of peas right next to them which i have had some good bags on. but for the last week they have been completly ignoring them and been on the wheat. having a go at them saturday. also ignoring the peas i shoot on just down road where i live feeding on laid barley. shot on barley field next to my house last friday and saturday eve for a couple of hours friday eve shot about 50yds from my garden shot 19 found 17 then saturday shot about 30yds from garden shot30 found 27.

Been watching a good amount of pigeons dropping in on field of barley this afternoon,there isnt any areas that have properly laid but its a very short crop and they seem to be knocking it down as they are landing. Im planning to knock off work early tomorrow and get there around 3pm to see if i can make a bag :hmm:

Seen 2 fields with alot of birds dropping in ,1 with over 500 sat above on the wires and birds dropping in the other exploded when i arrived to have alook with what i could see well over 300 birds :angry:

Tom

just finished work and had a good look round my farms this afternoon,about 100 woodies on peas and all three other farms i shoot over all had several birds dropping in the wheelings,one farm had a good 500 birds in the wheat but also a really good fliightline going into it, ive shoot this field before and know it can produce, the down side is i cant get on it till next saturday and its just fingers crossed that no-one else gets to it first!

so down in sussex its looking all systems go!!!!

just finished work and had a good look round my farms this afternoon,about 100 woodies on peas and all three other farms i shoot over all had several birds dropping in the wheelings,one farm had a good 500 birds in the wheat but also a really good fliightline going into it, ive shoot this field before and know it can produce, the down side is i cant get on it till next saturday and its just fingers crossed that no-one else gets to it first!

were is it m8 ill stand gaurd wit my shotgun :angry::no::no::D:hmm:

They were hammering the wheat today. Really going sat it. And plenty of rooks were dropping in too. Couldn't get near them for the reasons Tom mentions so I sat under the sitty trees in the middle of the field with a rotary and four floaters to draw some near. It worked some of the time, but every shot I had caused hundreds to lift off the main feeding area.

It's a lot easier to pick them with the short stems of modern cereals. :angry:

same as birds everywhere now on barley and wheat its only due to 99% of the crops are standing thats stopping me getting at em because birds on 3 permissions.

They were hammering the wheat today. Really going sat it. And plenty of rooks were dropping in too. Couldn't get near them for the reasons Tom mentions so I sat under the sitty trees in the middle of the field with a rotary and four floaters to draw some near. It worked some of the time, but every shot I had caused hundreds to lift off the main feeding area.

It's a lot easier to pick them with the short stems of modern cereals. :good:

Little wife wanted to watch the ping-pong so I was able to get out again and took my new old Benelli for a walk. I had spoken to the farmer this morning and he had given me the all clear to walk in the crops. This time I had a look at the area of the field where the pigeons and rooks had been yesterday. I walked up the wheelings and found four crop circles! They were around 10 - 15 yds diameter and the wheat stalks were laid in a perfect circle. That's what the crows and rooks were up to. The grain had been stripped out of most of them. There was 200 - 300 birds on them as I approached.

So I set up a low hide in the wheelings near to the biggest circle. Put two long floaters out, a couple of birds on low set floaters and around 20 shell deeks then sat back on the ground resting against my bag. Now where I am double figures is about the norm and twenty is a good day. I had just over a hundred shots in five hours and dropped just over 60 pigeons plus a brace of rooks, a carrion and a jackdaw. Good job I had spare cartridges in the car as I'd ran out at 4pm.

God bless Wimbledon!

Covered over 50 miles today looking at farms and saw a good load of birds around mainly on wheat a few on pea stubble and alot on spring barley on 1 farm . spot we shot last weekend had over 500 birds on a the small laid patch has grown to double in size :good: