Pigeon Watch Wrecking Trip, Newhaven

Evil Elvis

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit - other than the huge tides (which obviously work in both directions!) - I'm not seeing too much to be concerned about either :good:

If tomorrow ends up well and happy down on the south coast then the skipper will be getting a ****-o-gram call from me in the evening. Hope for his sake he's got it right (i'll know cos' I just re-registered on WSF).

Feel for Baz as he's been piggy in the middle for all this and it ain't been pretty :rolleyes:

Think I'm done for now though - there is a reason I've only done 1 trip out of the south coast in my life...

:rolleyes: Thanks Mike. At 00.02 the wind in that area is 20 knots which is 24mph....too bloody windy to go wrecking............... :good:

45 knots gusting 50 got us a bit worried out of Burnham a couple years back (I was crewing on Bluefin). We ran in at 18 knots against the wind but was in a Blyth Cat which is very different to even a 40ft mono in a heavy sea. I agree that 20 knots is too much for off-shore wrecking. Actually after having done the gig in both a cat and mono I'm not sure why I'd contemplate a days "pleasure fishing" on the latter!?

Yes the wind in these parts of the south coast are extreme. We are here not far from newhaven and have been since about 7pm last night.there is not or has not been a breath of wind all night. Something smells fishy to me and it isn't the skippers boat. You can just about see the leaves on the trees move if you study them really hard.

Well chaps, I have just finished my last night shift, the week end is here for me and reading this has had me in tears with laughing. ;):oops::good::lol::yes::hmm: I do hope for all of you that have been involved that this does happen and you all have a fantastic day.

You could wright a book on this trip.

Not sure what you would call it thoe.

Hope to see some pic's and wright up sOOOOOOn, weather depending :rolleyes:

Kipper.

:crazy:

Just got home for the second time.

Between the 2 trips I have blown over £100 in fuel and 4 days of my annual leave and I didnt even get to see the sea or a boat.

Baz, I'd be grateful if you could paypal the £42 back to my wife's account, as I wont be able to afford to come down for any rebooking.

Cheers.

Anon call to the skipper this morning - he's saying it's too windy today so cancelled the trip and doing maintenance.

All I can say to that Raja is ********, There was not a breath of wind on the south coast this morning. He is obviously like the Old Mersea fisherman, they used to hold a candle out of the window. If it went out there was too much wind and if it stayed alight then there was not enough.

I have a 20 second video of the trees in Hastings this morning and they are stationary, even when we left the Cafe at about 9.15 there was hardly any wind.

I too am not going down there any more and wasting anymore time, money and effort. I'll have my money back as well Baz please.

Shipping forecast,

Dover

Gale warnings - Issued:

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1130 UTC Fri 13 Aug

Wind

Southwest becoming cyclonic then east 4 or 5, decreasing 3 at times.

Sea State

Slight, occasionally moderate.

Weather

Showers, occasionally thundery.

Visibility

Moderate or good.

Edited by MC

:good: I will send out the deposit moneys but as for the £12 for the lures....if you want them you can have 5 lures each. If Martin, pavman and zapp send me thier addresses Ill stick cheques and lures in the post.I have Bobs address, and ill drop of mikes, duncs, and Andys when i see them

My last word on the subject will be: John the skipper has now lost out on £900 from 2 cancellations..............do you really think if he could have got out there that he would have?

I wont be organising any more trips to PW newhaven!!!, I was asked by Martin to sort out a wrecking trip, i wasted a lot of time, effort,diesel,phone calls and money organising it..............................and all Ive had is bitching and moaning like its my fault well it aint :crazy:

This is the actual met office weather for NOW:

Wight

Gale warnings - Issued:

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1130 UTC Fri 13 Aug

Wind

North or northwest 3 or 4, increasing 5 at times.

Sea State

Slight, occasionally moderate.

Weather

Occasional rain or showers.

Visibility

Good, occasionally moderate.

Force 5 is 21 miles per hour, im pretty sure that wouldnt stop Chris Mole going out from Mersea.....but then he doesnt go 2 hours into the channel...But even I have to agree force 5 wouldnt have been comfortable but I still would have fished, ive been out oin 6-7 from Dunganess on numerous occasions.

The whole thing has left me ****** right off ;)

:crazy: Now im more confused, rang 2 boats "enquiring" about a trip, they were in as it was a "bit choppy". Then i rang a third, feeling a bit vindicated ...and he was fiishing!!! and had landed 40 bass!!!! He said it was "lumpy!" but not unfishable.

HE does bass trips on the hi tides and uses livebaits( Live Mackerel) ....sounds bloody marvellous!! Same price £450 for 8 people. He has one available on the 7th of sept if anyone wants to try again?

I don't get the attitude to be honest, we were told at 4PM yesterday the trip was on. 3 hours later there was a weather front coming in that only John the skipper knew about and he cancelled.Even the Met Office didn't know about this.

We were on the south coast last night and I doubt the wind got above 2MPH all night. The shipping and maritime forecasts all said it was going to be OK. we have all done a bit of cash in diesel and food etc and I for one am going to call it quits.

For those people who have paid for the weights, they will be in a bucket in my garage if you want them. I am not posting them anywhere due to the weight and cost.

:crazy: Now im more confused, rang 2 boats "enquiring" about a trip, they were in as it was a "bit choppy". Then i rang a third, feeling a bit vindicated ...and he was fiishing!!! and had landed 40 bass!!!! He said it was "lumpy!" but not unfishable.

HE does bass trips on the hi tides and uses livebaits( Live Mackerel) ....sounds bloody marvellous!! Same price £450 for 8 people. He has one available on the 7th of sept if anyone wants to try again?

No not for me thanks

Looks like you have found out the hard way that everything will be your fault if you organize things.....

you are the point of contact for the trip, they havnt got the address or phone number for the skipper, so unfortunatly its you that gets it in the kneck,

They dont mean to have a go at you, im sure, but they need to vent their spleen at someone, dont take it to heart.

shaun

Nuff respect for Bazza, you done well and couldn't have predicted the skipper knocking it on the head twice!

If fact, I thought you done such a good job I reckon you should take on the next North v South shoot :good::/

Martin, I'll collect the weights when we pop out to Mersea for our next crabbing trip, they'll wear the kids out quicker :oops: