BLACK RABBIT

swiss.tony

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's bad ju-ju for sure. Keep an eye on your winky, it may fall off.

On a serious note; is this a melanistic thing or do we all think it's due to a captive bred rabbits being released. I have only one permission that has black rabbits on it (I've always left them alone as I like my winky thank you).

A couple of years ago a mate an I are on our permission me with the hummer and him driving. We both spot this black rabbit at the same time and he goes "shoot the black one!!" to which I reply "no thanks", "why?" says he, "coz it is blick" I say "racist ***" he responds "eh?" " you are treating that rabbit different from the majority due to the colour of its fur, that is not right". "Good point" I said and with that sent it flying with a 40 yard head shot. Not seen any others since.

Later my cock fell off.

Cheers Boondock.

There are obviously escaped 'tame' rabbits that add to the gene pool from time to time but I have it on very good authority that people also used to release rabbits into the wild (illegal though it was/is) to supplement populations deverstated by the introduction of myxy.

A couple of years ago a mate an I are on our permission me with the hummer and him driving. We both spot this black rabbit at the same time and he goes "shoot the black one!!" to which I reply "no thanks", "why?" says he, "coz it is blick" I say "racist ***" he responds "eh?" " you are treating that rabbit different from the majority due to the colour of its fur, that is not right". "Good point" I said and with that sent it flying with a 40 yard head shot. Not seen any others since.

Later my cock fell off.

Cheers Boondock.

See, told ya.

There are obviously escaped 'tame' rabbits that add to the gene pool from time to time but I have it on very good authority that people also used to release rabbits into the wild (illegal though it was/is) to supplement populations deverstated by the introduction of myxy.

what a load of old tosh,these rabbits are just like any other wild rabbit. in years gone by when rabbits were worth a bit of money,there use to be people who looked after the rabbit warrens and controll the population and make sure there was a healthy number. the trouble these people had in them days was poachers (tales from a poacher good dvd) the rabbits would get poached every night and numbers slumped dramatically. they introduced the black rabbit (the minister) into certain areas and they knew if the minister had gone and nobody had shot him then the chances are he had been poached. and they knew which area the poachers had been targeting.

i dont think it had anything to do with mixy in rabbits,as this disease didnt controll the population it wiped out large numbers in certain areas,they certainly didnt go to pets at home and buy a load of fluffy pet rabbits and release then into the wild.

Black and white rabbits can be a natural occurance, due to a recessive gene.

The reason we dont often see them is because not only is it rare that the gene comes through, they are also the first ones to get preyed upon due to there colour and being less camoflauge. This is why you only usually see these strange colour variations in areas with very large rabbit populations, as a result they have survived due to safety in numbers and all that.

Im not doubting that some are domestic ones, but As far as I am aware domestic rabbits and wild ones will not mix well, they often fight and therfore rarely interbreed.

Black and white rabbits can be a natural occurance, due to a recessive gene.

The reason we dont often see them is because not only is it rare that the gene comes through, they are also the first ones to get preyed upon due to there colour and being less camoflauge. This is why you only usually see these strange colour variations in areas with very large rabbit populations, as a result they have survived due to safety in numbers and all that.

Im not doubting that some are domestic ones, but As far as I am aware domestic rabbits and wild ones will not mix well, they often fight and therfore rarely interbreed.

thanks for that henry shot 1000 plus last year on same land never saw one this year shot 2 in a few months there not pet one 1oo per cent wild

It's bad ju-ju for sure. Keep an eye on your winky, it may fall off.

On a serious note; is this a melanistic thing or do we all think it's due to a captive bred rabbits being released. I have only one permission that has black rabbits on it (I've always left them alone as I like my winky thank you).

Always been quite a few around here, I was always told it is bad luck to shoot a black one.

Surely it is only bad luck for the rabbit ?. :blush:

Just spoken to the green keeper on one of the courses I shoot he said he has seen a white one on the 9th green and 2 black one’s I will see if I can get one of each this weekend, and add a post. :blush:

BET YOU 2 DEAD RABBITS YOU CARNT GET A BLACK AND WHITE 1 IN SAME NITE LOL