empty shotgun cartridges

I have been pondering putting them in the recycling bin for collection by the council, good idea or not?

I did read quite some time ago that a council recycling plant was temporarily closed due to there being spent cartridges in the rubbish.Apparently everything is sorted on a conveyor by hand and the workers thought it was live ammuition.

So might not be a good idea.

Anyone tried the shell manufacturers - who knows in this environmental era (they could be interested in taking the empties back and what with offsetting the carbon footprint and all) they could be interested in taking the empties back (they should be - reloading them has gotta be cheaper than remanufacturing them). I'm sure when they see sense they will be begging the shooting grounds for their empties.

Guest cookoff013

there is a helarco hull, which is a single moulded hull, no brass / steel head. that can be totally recyclable !

cool !

they look funny though

My 11 year old nephew wants as many spent carts as I can give him - both 12g carts and .22 shells. He sells them to his mates (not in school I hasten to add) who all seem to treat them like treasure. If I tell him which ones actually shot rabbits/hares etc he somehow manages to sell them for more :good: The kids love the stories apparently.

I'm not sure what he does with all the money he makes - maybe he's saving it all up to buy me a harris bipod. :no:

A similar case (green plastic) appeared round about the time of the 1976 Olympics. they were made by Rottweil (excuse spelling if incorrect)

YUP! remember them well, came in a box of 200 loose as far as I can recall. I don't think they were bad cartridges but the idea never caught on.

less than a 100 can go in the bin if you have more than 100 to bin at 1 time the are classed as agricultural waste and then have to be disposed of in line with council guide lines.

Chuck them in the bin

Where on earth did you come up with that gem? :no::rolleyes:

YUP! remember them well, came in a box of 200 loose as far as I can recall. I don't think they were bad cartridges but the idea never caught on.

Bang on Vince! They were loose in a box alright. £47 a thousand. I can't remember if it was a 200 or 250 box. I actually reloaded some of them, The plastic wad was strange; it was a two-piece set-up that popped together like old-fashioned ladies' pop-beads; the cup was clear but the obturator was blue.