Canadian geese and ducks

Stretch

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In England you can shoot Canada geese throughout the year.

But it would be wise to ask the landowner if he wants them to be shot first.

Yes you can shoot them all year BUT only subject to the conditions in the General Licence which has been said before in this thread. :good:

edited to say have a look at this link http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/r...licences.aspx#2

Edited by harrycatcat1

i thought they were on the defra list with wood pigeons and crows . http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/genl07_tcm6-7671.pdf

DEFRA have nothing to do with the General Licences (I assume the 'list' you're refering to) they are now compiled/issued by NE and they are NOT simply a list of what you can shoot, there are conditions attached and for the sake of everyones shooting they should at least be READ! :good: There's also an unwritten 'hunters code'!

this is definitley an all the gear and no idea thread, to the original poster what permission do you have on the land? is it for vermin or game / wildfowl, if the latter then you're lucky to not be paying for it but it is still well worth checking with the landowner you do have permission to shoot them. If he catches you with a load of ducks in the boot out of season you could have a few issues. The geese are covered by the general license so worth checking if the owner wants them moved on or not

OR,

You could just go and buy the biggest gun you can, blast away until everything is dead and then, when there is nothing left to shoot you will give up and take up stamp collecting and do the rest of us responsible shooters a favour.

As you will have probably guessed that the above is an attempt at sarcasm, but I really struggle with the way people are given guns and yet they know nothing about what they can and can't shoot and what the seasons are.

If ever there was a case for stringent compulsory testing this is it.

DEFRA have nothing to do with the General Licences (I assume the 'list' you're refering to) they are now compiled/issued by NE and they are NOT simply a list of what you can shoot, there are conditions attached and for the sake of everyones shooting they should at least be READ! :lol: There's also an unwritten 'hunters code'!
yeah its ne now isent it I forgot that! I know there's conditions mate! Makes no diffrence to me I don't do wildfowling. Been out with some freinds that do,(using their 3 shot semi not my m2). I can see why those that do participate in wildfowling are piping up on this thread. And mc has a point,training would be a good thing,kinda like dsc for wildfowling. Will it be popular? I dunno.

No it wouldn't be popular but IMO it would stop all this.

I bet they are loads of non quarry species shoot every year as well as quarry out os season by inexperienced and uneducated people who have got an SGC and off they go to shoot.

Wildfowling is possibly the hardest shooting enviroment and as 90% of it happens at dusk or dawn quarry recognition is harder still.

It is not hard in this day and age of the internet to find out all you need to know before even loading a gun.

I admit I couldn't tell you the seasons for each species of deer as I don't shoot them, but if I was going to then I would make 100% sure I knew them before I went out.

not sure training is the answer, most people do learn about their sport through shooting with people that do know what they are doing. Those that just want to shoot everything do leave themselves open to prosecutionif they just do what they want. Shame its so rare for them to get caught.

Out of interest MC have you ever shot a non quarry species? we aren't all infalible and accidents do happen but its good to know you've made a mistake not carry on without knowing. I've made one mistake on a day game shooting in mist and shot something that wasn't a high pigeon the only time with shotgun or rifle but it does happen no matter how much you've done.

Edited by al4x

not sure training is the answer, most people do learn about their sport through shooting with people that do know what they are doing. Those that just want to shoot everything do leave themselves open to prosecutionif they just do what they want. Shame its so rare for them to get caught
well maybe a mentor type system with maybe a test of some type.by the sounds of u lot its needed.

not sure training is the answer, most people do learn about their sport through shooting with people that do know what they are doing. Those that just want to shoot everything do leave themselves open to prosecutionif they just do what they want. Shame its so rare for them to get caught.

Out of interest MC have you ever shot a non quarry species? we aren't all infalible and accidents do happen but its good to know you've made a mistake not carry on without knowing. I've made one mistake on a day game shooting in mist and shot something that wasn't a high pigeon the only time with shotgun or rifle but it does happen no matter how much you've done.

Is going out shooting with someone not training then?

Yes I have shot non quarry species, I have only done it once and in half light at dawn. I shot a brent goose because I misidentified it. That was over 15 years ago, and I have not done it since.

There is no excuse for it and it shouldn't happen, but also at no point ever in my shooting history have I thought " I would love to run over there and wipe out as many as possible"

Is going out shooting with someone not training then?

Yes I have shot non quarry species, I have only done it once and in half light at dawn. I shot a brent goose because I misidentified it. That was over 15 years ago, and I have not done it since.

There is no excuse for it and it shouldn't happen, but also at no point ever in my shooting history have I thought " I would love to run over there and wipe out as many as possible"

at least your accident was edible :lol:

Training with someone is the ideal and how it should be, even going beating etc teaches you what the quarry are, where they will be and what etiquette is applicable, its frightning on here really you can just get a gun and go shooting without knowing quarry and seasons and probably on here you see the worst of it, always amazes me the shooting of game birds like they are vermin but I guess if you know no different.

I think some of you need to ease up on the guy.He only wanted to go and wipe a few out,but to his credit he did'nt just go blasing into them he made the effort to post on here and get the relivant infomation and took the time to thank the helpful members that gave him good pointers.

He also once shown the error of his ways with the way he was putting his exciment over fully admited he was wrong and apologised.

MC I agree that we should all know our quarry species and seasons,but I believe there is one excuse for a mistake made on id, its inexpierence,you can look at as many photos as you like study it as much as possible but when dusk sets and a bird comes screaming in and your heart jumps out of your chest it can be very easy to make that mistake.It takes a long time to tell the difference between silhouettes,flights,calls,distance etc and without someone to guide you a very tricky and often fraught path,as long as the mistakes are learnt from and not made again.

I think some of you need to ease up on the guy.He only wanted to go and wipe a few out,but to his credit he did'nt just go blasing into them he made the effort to post on here and get the relivant infomation and took the time to thank the helpful members that gave him good pointers.

He also once shown the error of his ways with the way he was putting his exciment over fully admited he was wrong and apologised.

MC I agree that we should all know our quarry species and seasons,but I believe there is one excuse for a mistake made on id, its inexpierence,you can look at as many photos as you like study it as much as possible but when dusk sets and a bird comes screaming in and your heart jumps out of your chest it can be very easy to make that mistake.It takes a long time to tell the difference between silhouettes,flights,calls,distance etc and without someone to guide you a very tricky and often fraught path,as long as the mistakes are learnt from and not made again.

:lol: spot on mate

I think the mistake stretch made was saying that he wanted 'to wipe out as many as possible'. If he'd said that he'd like to shoot a few, then people wouldn't be giving him quite such a hard time. I still can't believe he didn't know when the wildfowling season is, though!

I think the mistake stretch made was saying that he wanted 'to wipe out as many as possible'. If he'd said that he'd like to shoot a few, then people wouldn't be giving him quite such a hard time. I still can't believe he didn't know when the wildfowling season is, though!

:good:

even though i overlooked his zelousness on his orriginal post , guideance should be given without the harsh critism . yes i know , please dont remind us of the "damage" a slip ot the keybord could do.

Could be the difference between a stupid psychcopath and a clever psychopath :good::yes:

Mr Potter