More on drowning Greys...

Greymaster

Years back it was common practice to drown unwanted pets, litters, vermin, whatever.

This practice has since been deemed unnaceptable and a cause of suffereing, to be honest I think I agree.

That is not really the issue in the article, seems to be the RSPCA pulling the strings and the police acting like Lap Dogs.

I have to say the RSCPA certainly do some worthwhile work, but they do appear to get a lot above themselves sometimes!

Interesting article.

Is there going to be an IPC investigation? I reckon the paper trail between the RSCPA and the police could be interesting.

I really would have hoped that all organisations involved had better things to do than arrest a 66 year old man with a clean record for the manner in which he had previously dispatched vermin.

I would be wondering what next and be careful who you support in this . I presume the people who object to and push for convictions for drowning may quite easily do the same for snaring and trapping some day soon. I really do not view the RSPCA as being an ally of the shooting community for a single minute.

If he did do it he should be nicked for cruelty if he didn't he should be nicked for wasting police time.

Age is no excuse.

The way I see it, is the police wasted time based on the info given by the RSPCA. Who were acting on the angry ramblings of an old man!

If the RSPCA had sent someone round to discuss the matter with the bloke, before invoking the full force of the law, it would have been a lot easier.

There are questions both organizations have to answer here. Clearly they don't mind wasting time and money on a trivial conffesion with no evidence.

I would be wondering what next and be careful who you support in this . I presume the people who object to and push for convictions for drowning may quite easily do the same for snaring and trapping some day soon. I really do not view the RSPCA as being an ally of the shooting community for a single minute.

I agree with Vole, another case of divided we fall, my personal view of the RSPCA is they frequently go over the top, and have no time for them.

I went sea fishing at the week end, I slid a big hook through a Lug worm then chucked in to the sea to drown, does this make me cruel, I guess it does, ban all fishing :lol:

Good job done by the RSPCA, he stuck his head above the parapet so should not be surprised by the outcome. Drowning any animal is not on, if you do not have the means to dispatch them humanely then you should not be trapping them in the first place.

Does no one suspect that when the RSPCA tell people they have to drive to the vet and pay for them to be put down that they are just strongly against trapping ? Their suggestion just smacks of contempt as it is completely unrealistic as is trying to get one in a sack to batter. This is the thin end of the wedge and even if you folks say you do not like drowning it is not going to stop them going for other legal precedents .

Edited by vole

it wouldn't have been causing unnecessary suffering if he had shot it, or if he'd battered it about the head, personally I reckon there is more to it, probably told them he'd do it again while they were advising not to etc

Lets face it we all know its wrong and I don't know many shooting people who would do it

I couldn't advocate the drowning of anything as a reasonable method of humane killing. The rats and squirrels that I cage trap get a .177 pellet in the back of the head (sometimes several to make sure). Wonderful things these new fangled repeater air pistols

I live in Morpeth and now I know why it is so difficult to get police when you need them. To busy grandad bashing!

A comment from the article -

Here in NZ they have competitions to raise money for local schools that include "Fastest Lady Possum Skinner" and "Most Possums Killed In 24 Hrs". One imagines the RSPCA would not approve.

Feedback from the arrested guy -

Just to let supporters know the latest.Having already taken expert advice i have formally lodged an official complaint to Professional Standards of Northumbria Police for unlawful arrest and imprisonment.Have also complained of improper use of police premises by permitting someone of no standing ( RSPCA) to lead an interrogation.Have also requested the Inspecorate of Constabulary to investigate whether correct procedures have been adopted in relation to guidelines issued by the Association of Chief Police Officers.in assisting the RSPCA.I have to stress that I am absolutely delighted that the RSPCA have taken the bait.it is a bonus that the Police have responded in the manner they have.I am now considering setting up another group for endangered species. Honest, law abiding, decent respectable members of society.It is obvious that the police do not see themselves as serving society.

Edited by markm

You are all mostly missing the point.

Yesterday I threw a stubbed cigarette butt from my car window. Naughty I know. However, does this mean that some litter affiliated charity can get in contact with the police, seize my IP address from the site admin and then come round to my house tomorrow and have me arrested and put in the cells for 6 hours?

Now, have a think on about what get posted on here and other forums. For example we have had a recent thread and mention made about the dispatch of mink. Now, does that mean that the RSPCA can get the police and.......

Have a think about it.

A few months ago I was talking to a guy who now lives in London.

He said that foxes and greys were everywhere and a lot of the local shops sold fox and squirrel food.

He also said that his wheelie bin over half full of water had drowned dozens of greys.

He said that it was accidental that they fell in and drowned ?.