Safety Catch

kip270

Found this somewhere else, be warned, a lesson to all........

(Mid-1980s, Seattle, Washington) I worked with a man who taught hunting skills and gun safety after-hours. He came to work one day visibly shaken, and told this story.

As his teenage students gathered around him, he warned them not to trust the safety switch of the gun, telling them that it may fail. One of the students did not show up for class for the next few weeks and came in (the night before I heard this story) to tell the instructor how his father had died. The student had gone home after his last class, and told his father about not trusting the safety. The father became irate that the instructor would teach such nonsense. He proceeded to load a rifle, flip the safety on, and hit the butt of the stock on the floor to prove the instructor wrong. Unfortunately, the instructor turned out to be right, while the father was fatally mistaken. The gun went off and killed the man.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is one of the most deadliest mistakes people make, "its alright my safety is on " never never trust a safety catch.

rule 1 the only safe gun is an unloaded one.

when i shoot in the field with other guys my gun is broken with 2 in the chamber, the only time its closed is when im going to shoot, the same with the guys i shoot with, some may disagree and say the gun is being handled safely whilst loaded, so its ok, your call i guess , i know i can always trust the guys i shoot with, we all abide by the same rule, semi's are a different tool, i dont hunt with the semi only target , so itsonly loaded in the stand or on the pad .

just be careful is all i can say, you've only one life dont loose it.

Martin

Whilst the little story does sound a bit like a lot of others, that seem to wizz round the Internet, trusting a safety catch can be dangerous.

What I think is even more dangerous, is the safety catch that is not automatic, as in some clay guns.

I have never been able to understand why they are manufactured that way.

If its to gain speed, by not having to push the safety catch off between reloads, I don't think its worth the risk.

when my grandpa was a kid he was out with his webley and scott 410 and saw a hornet on the ground in front of him, he whent to hit it with the but of his gun, as soon as it hit the ground the gun discharged into the air the opposite direction luckily not injuring him.

the moral. NEVER trust a safety catch.

flash

ps it always cracks me up when in the movies they put cocked pistols down there trousers pointing at there bo**ocks, duh not clever :lol::D;););):lol::rolleyes:

Auto safety catches are a damn nuisance - how often do you see a novice at a clay shoot fail to fire because they've forgotten to push the catch forward.

I've seen novices then turn around with the gun loaded and unbroken, pointing it at the feet / legs of whoever is supposed to be looking after them and say "What do I do know..??"

In my opinion they're more trouble than they're worth, and are best altered to non auto, so you have to physically pull it to the on position yourself.

Cat.

While safety's can sometimes fail, not using them only adds to the risk level.

Why add to the risks if you don't have to?

I think the people I go shooting with happily put up with me being a poor shot with a 12bore and missing a lot more than I hit. I'm darn't sure they'd run a mile if they didn't think I was a safe shot. :rolleyes:

Auto safety catches are a damn nuisance - how often do you see a novice at a clay shoot fail to fire because they've forgotten to push the catch forward.

I've seen novices then turn around with the gun loaded and unbroken, pointing it at the feet / legs of whoever is supposed to be looking after them and say "What do I do know..??"

In my opinion they're more trouble than they're worth, and are best altered to non auto, so you have to physically pull it to the on position yourself.

Cat.

I think given the choice I would prefer to start a novice shooting with a gun with an auto safety catch, I have seen novices discharge the gun on the way up to the shoulder before it's properly mounted, caused by them having their finger on the trigger I would think, and squeezing the trigger accidentally as they grip the stock a little too tight.

If a novice turns around with a loaded gun, then basic rules have not been made clear enough at the outset, unfortunately I too have seen this happen.

I always thought the safety catch only locked the triggers, and the tumblers could still be jarred off and the firing pin strike the shell.

i know it might go against the grain a little bit with some guys but i never use my safety catch , i just prefer to rely on the fact that i always keep the gun in a safe position and if that's not possible (climbing fences) then it's broken and unloaded.

a mates gun once loosed off both barrels with the safety on , it missed another mates foot by inches :rolleyes:

Cat.

If its easy to teach a Novice to put the safety catch ON, how is it difficult to teach them to push it OFF ? :rolleyes:

Another thing to be aware off is closing the gun. I once borrowed the "farm gun" when mine was in for repair (only had one then), and on closing the gun it discharged straight through the hide. I tried to get it to happen again but could not, but once is too much.

Anyone know of a RIFLE with an auto safety??

Takes me back to when I was a Weapon Training Instructor:

"I did not know the gun was loaded, he was my best friend"

I have always been used to auto safeties but both of my shotguns are non-auto. I made sure the second one I bought also had a non-auto safety to preclude the possibility of confusion. Putting the safety back on, before you break the gun to reload, soon becomes second nature.

Both of my rimfires are CZs with the safety pushed FORWARD for safe and I`m used to that. It`s surprising how little time it takes to familiarise yourself with these things. Have you ever been out with a hammer gun then tried to pull the hammers back on your hammerless the next time you use it? Push button safeties near the trigger guard are another acquired skill, and so it goes on.

My brother had a single barrel 12 which folded by pulling a trigger outside the trigger guard. He once pulled the real trigger by mistake and whacked a hole in the bank about ten feet to one side of me.

I use a manual safety I was taught with a manual safety and as such it has become routine to apply the safety after I have taken my shot. It is much like getting in a car: you get in and belt up, instinctive.

I use it when at clay grounds, when rough shooting, when pigeon shooting and when game shooting. There is no excuse for poor gun handling and tbh that guy in the first post deserved it. A safety catch is an added safety feature and comes second to handling.

I had a serious wake up call many years ago. Out shooting with my HW80 air-rifle, had the safety catch on, in the middle of stalking a squirrel, i slipped, the butt of my rifle hit the ground and it went off!!!! So i have always been extra carefull.

A lot of my friends think i am OTT when it comes to safety. But i don't.

You may not get a second chance.

why would you want to use a safety at a clay ground and why would not using one be unsafe?

Dave

Spot on Dave, the safety is put on from the manufacturer, its the law !!!!

just like auto makers have to fit belts AmateX, does that mean we all wear them ??

invector , i think you'l find many airifles (my HW80 incl) have an auto safety.

they are a safegaurds only, they are not the be all of safe shooting or driving, we come down to the end user, you and i.

The safe and proper use of a firearm is taught to make people aware of the inherant dangers associated with use of firearms, not only to themselves but others also.

Another point is your finger should never be on the trigger untill , your ready to call a target or ready to make the shot at quarry.

safe shooting people :rolleyes:

Martin

One true story I always repeat when giving safety lectures -

Bloke shooting in Sussex at a posh shoot. Had a badly behaved spaniel at his peg who yapped all through the drives. To shut it up he bent down and hit it on the head with the butt of his shotgun. He shot dead his 11 year old son standing beside him.

Do you think he told his wife that the safety catch was on?

so whats the moral of the storey? If he ehd not acted like a **** or left the badly trained dog his kid would still be here?

Dont get me wrong in the field I use my safety without fail and it is not released until the gun is mounted but if you ever rely on it you are asking for trouble.

Dave

Edited by Devilishdave