Pheasants with no heeeed

Sunday night(discovered monday)35 dead pheasants minus heads(heads lying about the place)no birds eaten as far as can be seen.

Monday night 7 headless pheasants.

wednesday 11 headless birds again.

The birds are in a wood in a pen surrounded by electric fence and there appears to be nothing going under or through mesh.

I am thinking owl but has anyone got any more ideas ?

You'd be suprised...

Plenty of this years about who will easily pass through a pop hole grate thats not the right size etc...

I got one on tuesday night that was very small,but i am still not sure about it being charlie.

I have had them in pens before but they usualy leave some tell tale sign that it was them.Checked all the pop holes for fur and nothing to be seen.

Will have another good look around in the morning and i do have a high seat sitting at the farm doing nowt so may just stick it up and see if anything appears sat night.

Charlie? no way. Its classic Tawny owl. Takes heads and nothing else. Just sit and watch one night. Even if you netted the top, they land on top off netting and take heads off the frightened birds in the corner.

Correcto Mundo my good man its the owl 110% , hope his netting covering the pen doesnt fall down on one side, and is left dangling horizontal could catch and entangle the owl by mistake OOPS !!! :lol:

Sunday night(discovered monday)35 dead pheasants minus heads(heads lying about the place)no birds eaten as far as can be seen.

The birds are in a wood in a pen surrounded by electric fence and there appears to be nothing going under or through mesh.

Could be a tawny but don't discount young buzzards. Had 50 killed around one pen and saw them do it with my own eyes. Only young buzzards do it when training to hunt. The adults don't tend to bother.

Edited by rowey

If you examine the birds it is possible to see the difference between a fox and owl kill particularly when you have several to look at. May be worth plucking one or two and also look at the way the head has been pulled off.

I have to say though that it is a classic Tawney kill.

Tawny or Long Eared Owl definitely. Naff all you can do really. :hmm: Stringing wire across pens is just as likely to clip poults as it is owls.

Where are you finding the dead birds, are they near the wire or a yard or so in the pen? if so can the birds put their heads through the wire and the fox goes round the pen pulling their heads off and they bounce in a bit, if the heads and the dead birds are the middle and all over you could have a tawny owl.