Petrol in a diesel car

Pedro

Like a chump, I've put £30 worth of petrol in the empty tank of our diesel Mondeo 54 plate TDCI.

To compound matters, I then drove it 10 miles and surprise suprise, it wouldn't start.

The AA towed me to a Ford main dealer and they've turned round and said the repairs going to cost £2700 - basically a whole new fuel system and more than the cars worth.

Having spoken too a few people today, that price seems exhorbitant.

Has anybody else done the same and if so, what did it cost you?

P.

get it out of ford then drain it new filter and see if it starts, it can also be worth adding some 2 stroke as well. Of it goes then personally I'd be looking at changing it in the not too distant future, in theory it does the pump and injectors etc no good but in practice you can't burn petol via compression so it stops without running on it for long so draining it etc gets most out then usually they start and can run and you would never know it happened. Worst case is the pump fails later or the injectors but they go anyway on that age mondeo so you'd never know it was down to the petrol

shame you drove it !

what you need is time and a set of filters .

drain tank , undo fuel pipes tank and pump ends let it drain .

refitt pipes , renew filter and put diesal in tank .

the hard bit is the petrol between pump and injectors .

cant rember if that engine can have injectors undone or not . if it can , loosen pipes and let petrol drain out .

then its a matter of priming the filter housing and cranking her into life .

well thats the story on older less complex engines .

if anything isnt correct , im sure it will be pointed out .

ive done this procedure many a time and always hasd success

good luck and remember that main dealers dont fix anything , they replace them ! fitters are fitters , engineers/mechanics fix things . :blink:

:blink: There is a way around it if youre lucky, Drain the petrol out of the tank and fill up with deisel, remove the fuel filter, fill a new one with diesel and fit it.Then without turning the engine over, turn on your ignition so that you hear the pump prime itself, do this 10 times.This may perge enough petrol out to allow comprssion and allow you to start it......thats an old ford trick......it wont work if the injecters are cooked but you may be lucky and its a cheap fix. :stupid:

and excess fuel has a return so you should be able to dilute it down. The main problem is diesel acts like a lubricant to the pump and injectors and petrol as a solvent that cleans all the lubricant and wrecks them hence if you also bung in 2 stroke oil it usually helps the possible problems of running with some petrol. You won't know what damage its done and it can even run for 50Kbefore the pump packs in. Ford just change the lot just in case

p.s silpig whats with the couple of kisses to EE after your post :blink:

Edited by al4x

pull the rear seat up, it fixes down at either side sort of at 1/3 and 2/3's across if that makes sense, then use a flat blade screw driver to lift the plastic round bung,

under that you'll see the fuel gauge / pump unit, tap the retaining ring around and lift the pump out to one side, syphon the fuel off being careful not to get it all over the trim, may be an idea to put some paper down first,

shine a torch into the tank, can you see lots of dust size metallic particles in the bottom? if so then you may have done the high pressure pump in,

if not renew the fuel filter, vac bleed the return line to purge the lines, filter and pump and fire it up,

zip tie a car speaker magnet to the side of the fuel filter,

give it a week or two then renew the filter again, cut the old one open and see if the area around the magnet has deposits of metal dust,

if you have a lot of metal dust sell it quick!

:stupid::hmm: :blink:

As has already been said - drain the tank (completely), drain pipas as much as practable, new filters & try :stupid::hmm: if that fails replace components as required! Most modern pumps will simply not lift petrol due to it's viscosity ;)

We sold a Volvo diesel that had been written off by insurance, phoned to ask details of total loss as we could not see any obvious damage - told garage had drained & refilled with diesel but too many what iff's if it started playing up in the 3 year repair waranty :blink: :P :o As far as I know the guy that bought it has not had any problems ;)

I thought you could not put petrol in a diesel car due to incompatible nozzle/hole sizes??

Or is it the other way round?

In which case surely the better of the 2 evils is some diesel in petrol as that will just give white smoke rather than petrol in diesel which just solvent strips everything?

A work last year I did a major project for factional distillation of petrol from diesel from all these missfillings...I could not believe the quantities involved (i.e the number of nupties that did it :good: )

I thought you could not put petrol in a diesel car due to incompatible nozzle/hole sizes??

Othe rway round petrol nozzle is smaller as is the receptor in the car you have to try very hard to put pertrol in a diesel other way round is easy, not helped by some forecourts not stick to Black and green hoses

Othe rway round petrol nozzle is smaller as is the receptor in the car you have to try very hard to put pertrol in a diesel other way round is easy, not helped by some forecourts not stick to Black and green hoses

My Mum put a tank of unleaded in to a diesel BMW X3. After driving it for a month it conked out, they dont do that many miles. They had it recovered to a BMW main dealer and got presented with a bill for £6500. A friend of mine works for BMW and nailed it down to £3500. After they took it to an independent BMW garage they forked out £450 and they are still driving it around problem free.

Originally they qouted for new fuel tank,, new fuel lines etc. Main dealer = Main Stealer!!