24 hours without nicotine...

Ozzy Fudd

AND I HAVNT KILLED ANYONE!! :lol:

been close to it a few times today but not yet... though I am going out shooting in a bit... :hmm: anyway these champix tablets seem to be working, you start cutting down in the first week, then quit some time in the 2nd week; i decided i was going to quit yesterday (wednesday) or whenever my last packet of fags ran out (bought on sunday), whichever came first. had my last one at 7pm last night and thats me. im quite surprised, only had real bad cravings once today, and even then they were controllable, so fingers crossed! :lol:

ps im apologising now for any snappy/mental comments i make in the next few days/weeks, you have been warned :lol: :lol:

It`s only a habit :blush: I was off the fags for 2 years which, you would think, was it done and dusted. Lit a cigarette for a girl i had met and hey ho!!!! So if your off them stay off them cos if you go back on you seem to smoke more to make up for the time you were off them. Best of luck anyway. :good:

Ps. Watch out for the weight gain...or it`s gonna turn into love handle central round your waist. The old metabolism slows down you see. I guess thats why models puff away like trains.

Tesco`s and some petrol stations open 24hrs now. :oops:

I gave up two months ago using the gum, seems to be going OK. I didn't know there were magic tablets, which I had. Good luck all. If you have any moments of weakness google giving up smoking timeline and see what health benefts you are getting at that point in time, helped me. I feel 100 times better already.

Dan

Have you had the dreams yet ?

:oops: had some quite vivid ones, for some reason last night i dreamt weeds were taking over a city and i was killing them with an m60 :good:

Now there's a coincidence. I got my Champix starter pack today. I just hope I don't need a cigarette in a couple of weeks to wean me offa the tablets.

great minds think alike :oops::blush:

just back from an hours shooting; well, it was a walk with guns, didnt get a single shot, but my mate was smoking like a train and it didnt bother me :oops:

Have you had the dreams yet ?

Thank god for that. I thought I was the only one. It was really disturbing because they happened a couple of weeks ago after having been off the fags for a month and a half and thought I was over it.

Dan

Edit: we are talking about dreams of giant friendly cigerettes aren't we, and it isn't just a side effect of the pills?

Just worried I might still be losing it.

Edited by reddan

Totally forgot about you're effort Ozzy lol. I stopped smoking 6 days ago and haven't looked back. From just over 20 a day to ZERO over night and I feel great. The best about it was I never used any kind of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) because when you substitute cigs for patches or other alternatives you are still feeding your nicotine addiction. The government don't want to lose taxes on people who quit smoking so they heavily promote NRT as a way of quitting. How can you quit when you are still feeding your nicotine addiction? It is a farce if ever I seen one. The government are now in direct competition with the tobacco manufacturers to supply you with your nicotine fix! Cretins!

Anyway Ozzy, the best way to look at it is to realise that you didn't need cigarettes before you started smoking, so why do you need them now? They actually cause the stress that you believe they relieve. Definately another vote for Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking book. It really does remove your psychological dependance on cigarettes! :good:

congrats mate, good going! thats why i didnt want to try the patches/gum again, to me its onyl replacing it, not getting off it. these champix basicaly block most of your cravings for cigs so theyre not replacing the nicotine, and because theyre only available on prescription theyre free so the governments paying for me to stop - though they more than make up for it by taxes :good:

anyway the thing im afraid of is nearly all of my friends smoke, even the gf. i know if i just tried to go cold turkey i wouldnt last long before i gave in, so hopefully these tablets will do that for me - seem to be so far, but we'll see :oops:

Stick with it Ozzy mate!

If I could quit from between 40 and 50 a day then so can you, and it's well worth it in the end! It's well over 10 months now for me and I still get the odd craving now and then.

Congratulate yourself every day that you are without a ciggy and remember that you are not just doing it for yourself, you are also doing it for those around you that love and care for you, so if the going gets tough remember that they have always been there for you so you owe it to them!

Good luck mate, I'm proud of you! :good::blush::oops:

Frenchieboy if you have survived 10 months without a cigarette do you plan to survive the rest of your life without one? What I'm saying is what is there to 'survive'? You never gave anything up in the first place you merely just treated your body to a well deserved detox :good: So don't suffer the rest of your life with cravings, enjoy life for what it is, and rejoice in the knowledge that you are a non smoker, as are you Ozzy. Just keep telling yourself 'I am a non smoker and it feels great!'

Edited by Dancake

Dancake my friend I'm not quite sure what you mean? I am very proud of myself for quitting and I most certainly do not intend starting smoking again! All I was doing was trying to encourage Ozzy in his efforts to quit, which I hope are as successful as mine were. (Even if it was my 4th attempt at quitting)

I'm sure that you meant well in what you said but I just didn't understand your wording, but then again I am a bit on the thich side! :good:

Good luck old chap, and don't worry about the weight gain, its an oral fixation thing with smoking and I am sure you will find something else non-edible to stopper that big gob of yours.......

On a serious note, my builder stopped a 12.5gram a day habbit on the rollies and he said the increase in the amount of air he could breath in alone allowed him to do so much more physical activity he lost weight!

No worries mate :good: I meant absolutely no disrespect and have the upmost respect for yourself as you have successfully quit smoking. I will quote this phrase to see if you understand what I was trying to say a bit clearer lol.

''If the smoker quits on the willpower method, the smoker believes he is making a sacrifice and is convinced he is depriving himself''

What I'm trying to say is that if you quit using willpower then fair play you have done well, but you will continue to torture yourself by associating smoking with certain situations in life, hence the reason you occassionally get a craving. I.E - Say you seen a lovely big leather chair perched ontop of the most beautiful cliff edge in the world looking over the most fantastic bay you'd ever seen. When I was a smoker I could tell you for definate that there would have been nothing I'd have loved more than to sit on that chair overlooking that bay whilst having a smoke. It is the association of cigarettes with pleasureable situations that prevents ex smokers from completely setting themselves free :oops:

Now I understand, and I was not offended, I just didn't understand what you were getting at!

I too used "Champix" to help me quit but I have to say that I doubt if they would have worked for me if it had not been for other factors that gave me the determination to quit - and that is the key to quitting (In my opinion) the fact that you have decided that you WANT TO QUIT!

For me it was the fact that my brother had recently been diagnosed with lung cancer - (He is fine now after having a lung removed and is back at work. Thank God)! You hear so much about cancer nowadays, lets face it the statistics say that 1 in every 3 people will suffer from cancer in one way or another, but even though most of us "feel" for anyone with cancer we just do not realise quite how hard it can hit you till it is a member of your own family, at least that's how it was for me and that was the deciding factor. The ironic thing is than my brother quit smoking over 30 years ago and tests showed that the cancer he had was not related to smoking, just to add to that irony I am now having to undergo tests as it is strongly suspected that I have emphysema. That's life though and I am accept that I have to live with it as it is "self inflicted" through me chosing to smoke so heavily for such a long period of time! At least by quitting smoking I have given myself a better chance in life and I am thankful to everyone that helped and supported me, especially my long suffering wife and my family!

Once again, I wish you all the best with your quitting Ozzy, if there is anything I can do to help just say so mate! :good:

P.S. Dan is quite right - Every day you should remind yourself that you are and will remain a non smoker!

thanks for the support guys :good:

im sitting in worked, stocked up on chewing gum (taking about 3 pieces at once) and thinking happy thoughts... :blush:, bit peeved off as i was going to the portrush airshow this sunday, but ive now decided sittin in the car for an hour or two each way with my friends chain smoking wouldnt be the best situation to be in right now :oops: ah well theres always next year :oops:

I really need to quit. Just walking to bed gets me out of breath and have me lying in bed as if I've just had a light jog... it's crazy considering how fit I used to be.

Coupled with the fact that my dad, my dad's dad and my dad's dad's dad all died of emphysema should really be enough of a shock for me to quit!

Good job to all those that have quit: I'll be joining your ranks this time next month. 1st October, I've set the date, bought all the patches and gums... it's going to happen! I'm going to stick those pictures off the baccy pouches over the house too... for some reason it's that photo of the gent with no teeth that really hits me the hardest (me? vain? :good: )

Edited by WilliamJones