Favourite Cider

macs beretta

vile toxic poison that only serves to give the worst hangover known to man, 2 days! two freakin days that hangover lasted!!

cider, never again!

(as a side note, it may have something to do with the additional half glass of vodka and half dozen beers on top of the innumerate ciders, but I blame the cider)

Guest rimotu66

Just lately Ive been drinking Koppaberg (spelling) pear cider but I do have fond memorys of Cripple Cock farm yard scrumpy ,used to have a t'shirt of theres which said 'Get your crutches ready- this one be a toe curler' :hmm:

It's got to be Westons Vintage or Thatchers Katy. Or Black Rat of course, which is much more traditional.

The likes of Strongbow just don't do it for me. And I don't generally do pints anyway. In fact I find it hard to get drunk on pints. I drink five and I'm so full I can't fit any more in! I was at our local beer festival the other week with a load of mates. First time I've been it was, and after five pints of the strongest cider on the list I couldn't fit in another drop. The worst part is I was still sober! I think next year I need to start the night with a 1/4 bottle of whiskey and carry on from there, or just have a fun night laughing at the drunks like I did this year?!

Generally speaking i'm not a cider drinker. That is until yesterday when i developed a taste for it and perry. I was helping a mate out at a local show and on the next stall was a chap that was selling his own gear that he makes in a small way I suppose it would be a micro brewery (does this phrase apply to cider?)

He gave me a little to try I suppose just out of courtesy and to start a conversation and that was it I was hooked I must have drank about 12 pints of it through the day and bought another 6 bottles of the perry to bring home. I was expecting the worse hangover of my life this morning and I had to get up at 4am to give somebody a lift to the airport but so far i'm feeling no ill effects at all.

The chap called Bob told me he sells it at cirencester farmers market normally. So if any of you ever go anywhere near give it a go it really is a fine drink

Nick

If you are going to drink cider then you have to try to get the propper farmhouse scrumpy and not this crystal clear watered down rubbish you get from super markets! You should not be able to see through propper scrumpy, it should be cloudy - In fact the cloudier the better and if you need a fork to get the bits out then you have a real good pint!

My introduction to cider came when I was a child (being brought up in the heart of the Cotswolds what else were you surposed to drink) when in early 1868 (not long before I joined the army) I got a job at the Wickwar Cider Company which was about 5 miles from where I used to live. I used to ride a scooter to work and back in those days, a Lamberetta LI150, (Ahh! The days of the Mods and the Rockers, what memories, but that's another story) We were allowed to have "a bit of a tipple" while we were working but to a few of us our bit of a tipple was a bit more than others might think good for us - I can't remember how many times I fell of that blasted Lamberetta on my way home from work. We were also allowed to buy cider from them in small 6 gallon barrels at a very low price. Now and then my father used to pick one up with his car as he thought that there was too much risk of me falling off the scooter and damaging the barrel - (I'm sure he was more concerned about the barrel than he was about me?) I believe that the Wickwar Cider Company got taken over by Bulmers shortly after 1968 but Gold Label Cider (GL as we used to know it) is still produced there, maybe someone from the area could help me to get up to date on that.

The best "Farmhouse Scrumpy" that I had was from a small farm just between Moreton On Lugg and Leominster, not far from the Cadbury's roundabout - We were in the area for the Hop Picking Season at the time and I went there and bought a 5 gallon barrel of some of the nicest scrumpy I have ever had - I was the Foreman on the hop farm and we had quite a good crew of Russians and Poles at the time so I invited some of them back to the caravan for a drink after work - Once we had emptied the barrel my wife tells me that i managed to fall into the caravan only to fall back out again before I fell back in yet again and slept on the floor! :good::good::good: Now that was real scrumpy! :good::D;)

Maybe it's drinking Scrumpy that addled my brain!

The best "Farmhouse Scrumpy" that I had was from a small farm just between Moreton On Lugg and Leominster, not far from the Cadbury's roundabout - We were in the area for the Hop Picking Season at the time and I went there and bought a 5 gallon barrel of some of the nicest scrumpy I have ever had - I was the Foreman on the hop farm and we had quite a good crew of Russians and Poles at the time so I invited some of them back to the caravan for a drink after work - Once we had emptied the barrel my wife tells me that i managed to fall into the caravan only to fall back out again before I fell back in yet again and slept on the floor! :good::good::good: Now that was real scrumpy! :good::D;)

Maybe it's drinking Scrumpy that addled my brain!

that'll be Newton Farm, great stuff, had my dad bring me up 3 bottles yesterday when he came up to visit :D

Rattler....Cornish Cider with a bite!!!

I love the stuff draft or bottles, their Pear is not bad and even a Berry Rattler for the ladies. Also from the same people Healeys classic is extremely good.

Worth a visit if you are down this way, free entry and samples and they do a great Cream Tea, have a look here Cyder Farm