Springing teal

garjo

Been clay shooting about 9 months now - absolute boget bird is springing teal. Hopeless at hitting it. Would appreciate any tips. Do you shoot bird when rising or top of apex. If rising do you lock on and then pull away?. Heard that some people aim just to side of direction of bird to get full view. Any tips appreciated. Thanks -

If it's a teal going straight up in a loop then you can shot it on the way up - when it peaks or, on the way down, I think most people find them easier to shot on the way down just as there starting to drop.

If it's a straight going away teal, watch the bird note were it's coming from hold the gun half way between from were it appears and it's peak, I prefer to pre mount if it's a really quick one, touch the clay with the barrels keep them moving a pull the trigger, just be careful you don't shot over the top.

If your pulling away from it theres a very good chance your shooting over the top of it, shooting down the side of it can give you a good view of the bird, but again you can miss down the side or over the top.

I must admit teals can be tricky birds, they can appear to be very simple !

Hope that helps, Iam sure some of the more experienced shooter will be able to give you some better tips !

The teal is one of my favourite English Sporting clays, I find that I am hitting it just as it approaches the apex on the way up.

Keep practising, it will come eventually.

Last week my bogey was the rolling rabbit in poor light (my excuse!!), brown clays against an earth background.

Start with the barrels of your gun a couple of inches from where you intend to kill the bird. most people who miss start off with their barrels at the trap and shoot over the top because they can't stop their gun. Try it with just a pointing finger, its really hard to stop,just nudge the gun at the bird and pull the trigger. Works for me. from Auntie. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Sporting Targets today - did okay on most of clays apart from teal. Did notice on querting away tragets that had higher % is shot as target dropping. Is there amy mileage in adopting same strategy for teal. Appreciate is a bit of lottery when wind blowing had etc

Teal targets are one of my favourite, i always watch the shooters before me and find the apex or stall point of the target. then when you are in the stand its a simple case of tracking the clay whilst it is on the up, when it is reaching the apex sit it just above the bead and shoot, all being correct the clay will break.

Stick at it and build up that mental library, you will get there in the end :yes:

ATB Ben

What goes up, must come down...and somewhere in between it has more or less stopped. Thats where I generally hit 'em. Assuming its not heading away from you and out of range. Or looping sideways. Or quartering. Actually now I think about it, they are tricky little blighters. But if possible I am with silverpig3 on this, wait until they have stalled and then go under a little bit. I find them really tough to hit once gravity has taken over and they are really dropping fast.

I'm sure I read somewhere that in certain disciplines a falling teal is no longer a valid target. Maybe FITASC? Did I dream that or can someone confirm?

• 1 year later...

They say only a fool doesn't learn from their mistakes. Well these's plenty of shooting fools who year in year out keep making the same mistake and never improve scores. Here is one way forward with Springing Teal:

1. These are only constant on the rise

2. Its easire to deal with a constant

3. Position half way between apex and first visual pickup point

4. IMPORTANT position gun to one side, that way you can see the bird rise

5. Follow bird up, bring focus and gun and top edge of clay fire on leading edge before apex

Been clay shooting about 9 months now - absolute boget bird is springing teal. Hopeless at hitting it. Would appreciate any tips. Do you shoot bird when rising or top of apex. If rising do you lock on and then pull away?. Heard that some people aim just to side of direction of bird to get full view. Any tips appreciated. Thanks -

I'm not great at them, but I notice that the good shots seem to always take them while rising. The theory being that you see it, bring the gun up, just blot it out and fire.

Many others take it while it's apparently stationery, that looks easier but by the time the shot has arrived it might have started falling, I think it's harder to be consistent doing it that way. Shooting it while it's dropping is probably the hardest way to approach it.

I'm not great at them, but I notice that the good shots seem to always take them while rising. The theory being that you see it, bring the gun up, just blot it out and fire.

Many others take it while it's apparently stationery, that looks easier but by the time the shot has arrived it might have started falling, I think it's harder to be consistent doing it that way. Shooting it while it's dropping is probably the hardest way to approach it.

on the way up swing thru and shoot :good: :good:

Depends on the shooter. Some find that (stationary/dropping) kind of shot easier. I always take a stand ANY way which I think I can hit more.

Depends entirely on the target. You can shoot them on the way down in any discipline unless specifically stated on the stand.

Taking them at the top is a poor choice as a fallback technique as it is very hit or miss once they get a bit further out and if it is windy. Best learn both on the way up and fully on the drop so you don't have any gaps in your technique arsenal so to speak.

The longer you leave it the more variables come into play. On some grounds they will drop behind trees or disappear into the next county or start skewing sideways with wind as well as dropping ever faster. So as already said learn to shoot them on the rise whilst under power and performing in a "consistent" manner.

With springing teal the climb is steep so start with barrels raised, not over trap, look for the clay, see it and using a short swing move barrels through the clay and pull the trigger when your barrels block it from sight so that you are actually shooting just above it so that it rises into your shot cloud. If its going left or right then you will need to swing through the clay's left or right edge to take that into account. If you start your barrels too low as already said you will race to catch up and then swing through too far shooting over the top. As always where you start your barrels is critical so give that some thought.

If the climb is shallow (on the grounds I use often just called Teal) then you shoot at it (or again left or right edge if going to the side rather than straight away).

If you can't find them consider paying for a lesson with emphasis on these targets. It always seems a lot of money but missing 100 or so of them will cost you much the same and you will have learned nothing! Good luck!!

Best bit of advice on here was the bit where it said "book a lesson".

There could be a host of reasons for the problem and only seeing your technique and how you address these targets will point to the answer but the first one I would address is the mental issue.

"I can't hit teal targets", err, it's round, it's a clay and it goes from A to B. You can hit the rest, you CAN hit these.

Get the elements of the shot right and apply them consistently and you will break them.