must see's in the usa

kdubya

Planning a little tour of America in about 18months , so plenty of time to get it right, going to travel via Amtrak and am looking to spend about a 45 days maybe more (timescale not an issue) so apart from the usual such as the grand canyon etc any idea's of must See's, worth noting that you can travel coast to coast for about $200 compared to this countries £220 return from darlo to london.

KW

San Francisco is good - Alcatraz looking a bit sad now, but you have to do it! The Giant Redwoods nearby are cool :yes: and pier thirty-eight is as tacky as any tourist could desire B) .

NYC is a must, can't be described, just go.

Have a good trip, you will definitely want to go back ! :hmm:

Hi Kdubya

Just asked the other half, over the years we have been going to the states what have been the best bits,Niagara Falls, New Orleans, The Louisiana swamps, The Mississippi river, Hunting coyotes, Cabelas, Bass Pro. Watching thousands and thousands of canada geese coming into a nuclear power cooling lake every night in illinois the only unfrozen clear water for hundreds of miles.travelling up the Illinois river on a friends speedboat going as fast as the boat would go.Hogging(noodling), that is fishing for big catfish by hand(google it.) Watching glow worms in the mating season with whole fields twinkling in the dark and driving the car along roads with glow worms going in the opposite direction like tracer rounds.Some of the electrical storms in the midwest were absolutely amazing aswell. The list could go on for a long time

Geordie

Edited by geordieh

Fly into Miami and have a couple of days there before driving down to The Keys, sunset on Key West then a few bears at Sloppy Joes then spend a day or two around Key Largo and Marathon (Great bars and sea food), thne drive up through there through the everglades along alligator alley stopping the night at Naples. Then fly from Fort Myers to New Orleans and spend a couple of days before moving onto Vegas for 5 days.

From Vegas hire a one way car rental and drive death valley to Yosemite and then onto San Fracisco. Couple of Days in SF then fly to Seattle

Seattle to Colardo-Denver and relax enjoy, maybe go hunting depending whats in season.

Denver to Chicago

Chicago To Virginia to explore Blue Ridge Mountains

Virginia to Boston and drink the pretend irish under the table then head back south to NYC for the last couple of days

Fly into Miami and have a couple of days there before driving down to The Keys, sunset on Key West then a few bears at Sloppy Joes then spend a day or two around Key Largo and Marathon (Great bars and sea food), thne drive up through there through the everglades along alligator alley stopping the night at Naples. Then fly from Fort Myers to New Orleans and spend a couple of days before moving onto Vegas for 5 days.

From Vegas hire a one way car rental and drive death valley to Yosemite and then onto San Fracisco. Couple of Days in SF then fly to Seattle

Seattle to Colardo-Denver and relax enjoy, maybe go hunting depending whats in season.

Denver to Chicago

Chicago To Virginia to explore Blue Ridge Mountains

Virginia to Boston and drink the pretend irish under the table then head back south to NYC for the last couple of days

hey snozzer,

when do we leave and how much of my euromillions winnings from this coming friday will we need?

regards

Ash :yes:

Go swimming on the reefs off Florida Keys with baracudas.

Paddle in the gulf of Mexico and expunge your bowels when the dolphins come for a look at you (when you see the first fin pop up 15 ft away - you WILL have a 'moment'!).

The Statue Of Liberty isn't that great for a tourist, but the Empire State building is, just for the view.

I'd start in New York (I've yet to find a city that beats it. It just has a buzz). Then I'd head up to Boston or down to Philadelphia for a bit of history and maybe take in a baseball game....

Then I'd drive West and keep on driving. Into Ohio then Illinois and take in Chicago. Across Iowa into Nebraska and then explore the Dakotas where the Badlands are, then into Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and into Oregon. Then either north to Seattle or south to San Francisco.

Las Vegas is like an American Blackpool, LA is a dump and Florida is touristy. Can't speak for the other Southern States.

Edited by Laird Lugton

What did you have in mind?

If you're doing Las Vegas, make sure you visit one of the gunshops and try out some full-auto toys!

There's no shortage of amazing scenery, however Florida and New England are safe bets, same for Maine. x2 on the suggestion to check out Cabelas and Bass Pro shops or Gander Mountain... you will cry when you see what they have for sale.

Stephen Fry did a series about the whole country. Why not watch it and get some ideas ?

I went to New York in February this year. I reckon if you were selective, and got up early, you could do the best bits in 1-2 days. As suggested before, I found the Statue of Liberty small and disappointing. I admit that I am not a "city person" but New York seems to have less to offer than even London. I was bored within 2 days. If you do go, have lunch in The Boathouse in Central Park, we had a lovely meal there. :good:

I am going to Las Vegas in January and regularly go to Florida. I am normally a "salad dodger" but after just a week in the US I find their food very un-interesting (mainly deep fried) and their table service very rushed.

Canada is supposed to be nice if your trip extends that far :angry:

How not to do inter-state travel in America: BY TRAIN!!!!

Skip Amtrak and fly. America is too big to waste time on "death-trak" trains. Traveling the whole of the USA by Train or bus is not an experience to seek.

You're better off flying. The United States is three thousand x two thousand miles. Huge distances to cover by a train.

See if any airline offers a "see the USA deal".

Just my opinion - and you're entitled to it.

PS: I'm a Yank!!!

Edited by ab1964