Woodcock

Fisherman Mike

catch ur self on Perazzi82. Most people are lucky to shoot 4 or 5 birds in day. In one place I shoot in, it is not uncommon to flush 50 or 60 birds. The vast majoirty of those don't offer a shot. The most I have ever had was 14, that was about 8 years ago between two guns. I haven't seen anyone here advocating a free for all at woodcock. The majoirty of people who seriously hunt for them have too much respect for the birds to hammer them into the ground. However, those who come on to a supposed 'hunting website' and then ask in my opnion draft questions like 'why do you hunt wood cock' or worse still advocate that we actualy stop want to take a serious look at themselves. Or perhaps they should just subscribe to the LAG!!!! You don't see me coming on here asking why people in the south of England hunt 'grey partridge' or why do people hunt 'grouse' or why bother with 'wildfowl'. If the rationale for 'why do you want to hunt for wood cock' applies then why not ask the same question for all wild gaamebirds and waterfowl?

Good post mate, I would ignore posters like Perazzi, they are just wind up merchants who prob know f all about shooting. I totally agree with the hunting of grouse; I'd be lucky if I see 2 or 3 grouse in the course of a year, therefore I don't shoot them, however I am not trying to tell people what they should and shouldn't hunt. I am very lucky to live in an area which gets a good population of Woodcock every year, therefore I take around 30 in the course of the year, but I have the total respect for this bird and I will never hunt it if it is getting it tough (like last year) or if there hasn't been a big migration.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a ridiculous thread this is, woodcock are legal to shoot and a wonderful quarry, and there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them down here in cornwall so I will continue enjoying shooting and eating them.

Of course some people will chose not to shoot them and that's up to them, just like I won't shoot a grey partridge down here or hare because we very rarely see them, but have no problems about people shooting them in other regions where they are more plentiful.

As for the original posters comment that one day all bird shooting will be banned, well I for one would fear for the countryside if that did ever happen, I can't see his beloved rspb jumping into fill the shoes of the gamekeepers who manage millions of acres of land which Is proven to have avery positive impact on habitat for all manner of mammals and birds not on the quarry list, shooting certainly contributes more to conservation than probably all of the so called conservation charities, businesses ever do.

So enjoy your woodcock shooting if you chose to and if you don't like them being shot then its quite simple, don't pull the trigger, but don't preach to others that choose to do so.

Mike,

You seem to have changed tack from your original post where you were asking why members see fit to shoot them; you then go on to object about them being shot but not eaten?

I'm in total agreement that if shot they should be eaten and it troubles me when I see people on my own shoot turn their noses up when offered birds of all types to take home at the end of the day. Personally I have no issue with woodcock being shot if they are eaten. I wish pheasants flew like woodcock as they much better suit my shooting style (not much time to think about it). There are some people on my shoot who have not and never will shoot one, others that have shot one and decided not to take any more and a few that will continue to shoot them. It causes about as much controversy as the two camps of opinion on whether it's appropriate to have and use a hip flask on the shoot whilst shooting. In summary - each to their own really...

Went out today with my mate to find a few woodcock, just the 2 of us and my cocker, it's a place I'd never been before buy my mate has permission to shoot the land, he doesn't rip the **** out of it and only shoots it 2/3 times a season, well it turned out to be a super days hunting, in total we put up 11 maybe 12 woodcock -- I shot 2 for 4 shots and my mate shot one 2 shots, the first bird I shot I almost plucked him with a 32grm #6 at about 25 yards, it was an excellent bird - heavy and it seems it would have been in great condition before I shot it ! one of the other birds although in good looking condition was a bit light and it's breast bone was like a knife sticking out, the 3rd bird was also in very good all round condition, all 3 birds are very well appreciated,out of the 11/12 birds there were 2 pairs, I did shoot one of the first pair but the other bird went like blazes the other way like it knew something the other one didn't. It was great to see so many birds and all were put up in under 3 hours walkin, one other thing I noticed that ALL the birds sat very tight although the dog did put some up without us seeing them. All in all a great days Sport ( hence My reason reply to the topic subject)

:good:

f3

Went out today with my mate to find a few woodcock, just the 2 of us and my cocker, it's a place I'd never been before buy my mate has permission to shoot the land, he doesn't rip the **** out of it and only shoots it 2/3 times a season, well it turned out to be a super days hunting, in total we put up 11 maybe 12 woodcock -- I shot 2 for 4 shots and my mate shot one 2 shots, the first bird I shot I almost plucked him with a 32grm #6 at about 25 yards, it was an excellent bird - heavy and it seems it would have been in great condition before I shot it ! one of the other birds although in good looking condition was a bit light and it's breast bone was like a knife sticking out, the 3rd bird was also in very good all round condition, all 3 birds are very well appreciated,out of the 11/12 birds there were 2 pairs, I did shoot one of the first pair but the other bird went like blazes the other way like it knew something the other one didn't. It was great to see so many birds and all were put up in under 3 hours walkin, one other thing I noticed that ALL the birds sat very tight although the dog did put some up without us seeing them. All in all a great days Sport ( hence My reason reply to the topic subject)

:good:

f3

Well done guys. Woodcock days are something special that you never forget. A chance at a pair gets the heart racing dont it? What part of country were you in. Not specific details obviously. Just to give an idea of migration numbers.

to be honest as it was new ground to me so I thought there might have been a pheasant about too so I put a few heavies in my pocket, I normally have a cyl choke in my Benelli with 28grm 7.5's when I'm huntin woodcock. I don't like to take a bird on over 30-35 yards Max to try to ensure a true kill.

f3

• 1 year later...

i have to admit that woodcock dont often offer a real test of marksmanship, and they are quite easy to knock down. i am by no means sore on them, i would shoot about a dozen each season. its the thrill about never knowing when they will spring up that gets me going. i disagree about the comparison to liver, dont think they are anything remotely like liver, and they have ample meat on them. put it this way, they have as much on them as a teal if not more. like sako i cant abide anyone who would look to shoot big bags of woodcock, but i know it goes on unfortunately. its a very short season on them, and they are widespread throughout the uk when they arrive from russia etc, so i feel justified in potting a few for the soup pot

:yes::good::yes:

The Woodcock is wonderful shy retiring wader often refusing to be put to flight until the very last minute. Generally fly at night on their migration. They don’t eat Crops and do zero damage. They are not bred captively to be released and shot, offer very little meat and I cant really see the point in gunning them down for the sake of ones own self esteem. They are in decline nationally along with Snipe and Jacksnipe. I leave them alone as I like to see them about. Why do other members feel it necessary to shoot Woodcock ?

This is a serious question not a criticism. :yes:

Why, the question is too deep, and wasn't the answer 54 anyway?! :hmm::hmm:

Last year my christmas dinner was woodcock.

You need a bird per person and I prepared it by cutting a shallot in half place it inside bird with butter garlic and herbs, rub outsider of bird with butter and cover with streaky bacon.

Cook in oven. Once cooked remove and let stand for 10 minutes whilst it's doing that get some chicken stock and water from your cooked veg place in pan you cooked birds in and reduce to make gravy.

Great taste and cooking this way stops meat from drying out.

One other thing tradotionally you cook it with the insides intact then once cooked remove with a spoon and eat on toast. I've never been brave enough to try but it's supposed to be a delacasy.

That said something like that I'm sure they call a delicasy because it probably tastes revolting lol

No it is a delicacy as it tastes wonderful.

No it is a delicacy as it tastes wonderful.

Henry, if I remember rightly you posted a recipe for cooking the innards a while back,(could be wrong though). If you do have one I'd be interested to give it a go :good:

PS I occasionally flight woodcock. I have seen woodcock defecate when you flush them. Do they do this before they take off for their evening flight? Im not wanting to leave anything to chance :lol: