featherd game with a rifle right or wrong

johnny

I'm just back, 223 Pheasant, 124 Partridge and 2 Woodcock, plus a handful of pigeon and crow, 8 guns today and 6 drives. I should add this is NOT a commercial shoot, this is VERY PRIVATE and in the words of the Head Gamekeeper, "we are in the entertainment business" :good:

Your statement suggests that you condone the killing of live quarry for entertainment, private or not, even though someone else said it. :blush:

maybe that's appropriate to those that pay shedloads of money to participate in the mass slaughter of gamebirds but not the attitude of most stalkers or pest controllers - and for that matter many game shooters. :rolleyes:

Yes we do it for sport but if you want to be in the entertainment business, sell your guns, get an equity card and audition for panto's. :good:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With your views on game shooting why would you want to go? was it the lure of a big day?

The shoot is unbelievable and the bag has nothing to do with it, frankly it rather bores me, I'm a tart and I'm fascinated by the company, and I'm after something else from it, hopefully this is a means to an end, you may have noticed the number of Reds I mentioned!!!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Your statement suggests that you condone the killing of live quarry for entertainment, I have never said or suggested otherwise, I have absolutely no issue with Game shoots as I have made VERY clear in this thread, on the whole I simply have little or no interest in them.private or not, even though someone else said it. :blush:

maybe that's appropriate to those that pay shedloads of money to participate in the mass slaughter of gamebirds This shoot is somewhat different, it is not a Commercial shoot and NOBODY PAYS here!! but not the attitude of most stalkers or pest controllers - and for that matter many game shooters. :rolleyes:

Yes we do it for sport but if you want to be in the entertainment business, sell your guns, get an equity card and audition for panto's. :good::hmm::hmm::hmm:You have a very naive attitude, so sport isn't entertainment hey!

Edited by Dekers

Having now read this thread from start to this point, I have a couple of opinions to interject:

1. 'Sporting' - to me this means ensuring that one's quarry doesn't suffer when it comes to being 'switched off'. It doesn't mean that you give your quarry chance to get away (or be wounded).

I'm just getting into the shotgun side of shooting, having been a rifle man all my life and I accept that it is another 'tool' in the box. It's what you need when your quarry is to be shot, on the move.

Whether using a shotty, air rifle or live rifle, humanity to our prey is paramount.

So to me, you use a shotgun on a bird or animal, because it is moving. If it was stationary and at range, then a rifle would be the tool of choice.

2. I hunt because I enjoy it. Yes, I shoot rabbits under the auspices of pest control, woodpigeons too. I eat everything edible that I shoot. But if I didn't get any kind of basic, primeval/hunter-gatherer type of satisfaction from it, I wouldn't do it.

3. Vermin or Game, all quarry deserve respect.

Disagree if you will, but accepting that my instinct is to hunt, and that I am usually thinking with my stomach when hunting and also that my quarry has reason to be targetted, I feel on pretty solid moral ground when I venture into the fields with a gun.

:yes:

ATB

Duncan

I agree - however the poster I was responding too is in NORWICH - is that part of Scotland now then :blink: :hmm::hmm:

Les :yp:

I agree,however i thought i would clear up such a statement by giving a more educated one as not all the folks on PW are lucky/unlucky enough to come from Norwich.If you had wrote,"the shooting of game is illegal in England,but not in Scotland" then it wouldnt have left you open to being corrected,except by the sheep ******** and the Paddies.Thought i had better put some facey kind of things too as you seem to be quite fond of them. :rolleyes::oops::yes: :yp: :P

Having now read this thread from start to this point, I have a couple of opinions to interject:

1. 'Sporting' - to me this means ensuring that one's quarry doesn't suffer when it comes to being 'switched off'. It doesn't mean that you give your quarry chance to get away (or be wounded).

I'm just getting into the shotgun side of shooting, having been a rifle man all my life and I accept that it is another 'tool' in the box. It's what you need when your quarry is to be shot, on the move.

Whether using a shotty, air rifle or live rifle, humanity to our prey is paramount.

So to me, you use a shotgun on a bird or animal, because it is moving. If it was stationary and at range, then a rifle would be the tool of choice.

2. I hunt because I enjoy it. Yes, I shoot rabbits under the auspices of pest control, woodpigeons too. I eat everything edible that I shoot. But if I didn't get any kind of basic, primeval/hunter-gatherer type of satisfaction from it, I wouldn't do it.

3. Vermin or Game, all quarry deserve respect.

Disagree if you will, but accepting that my instinct is to hunt, and that I am usually thinking with my stomach when hunting and also that my quarry has reason to be targetted, I feel on pretty solid moral ground when I venture into the fields with a gun.

:yes:

ATB

Duncan

.... and that, in my mind, is a pretty spot on post. :good: :good:

PS

I'm just back, 223 Pheasant, 124 Partridge and 2 Woodcock, plus a handful of pigeon and crow, 8 guns today and 6 drives. I should add this is NOT a commercial shoot, this is VERY PRIVATE and in the words of the Head Gamekeeper, "we are in the entertainment business" :good:

Saw about 350-400 Reds, around 20 Muntjac, 2 or 3 Roe and loads of rabbit and hare!

...and yes, I'm learnig a lot, this place is a whole new world to me! :good:

I guess it just bugs me people treating game birds like vermin, and also the almost encouraging of young vermin shooters on here that pheasants are quarry you can shoot out of your pigeon hide etc.

Your shoot sounds like a nice one, similar to a few of the ones round here. I was on a nice family day on saturday and some of the guns were the sort who do a serious amount of game shooting and have done for years so there were some very good shots made. A couple of them own 6000 acres round here between them nice if you are born into it and yet mix with the beaters and are friendly with it. We I think finished with about 200 and half that was on one rather special drive. Lots of fallow and muntjac a few too many if you're working a GWP in heavy brambles she kept meeting them too close for comfort.

I agree,however i thought i would clear up such a statement by giving a more educated one as not all the folks on PW are lucky/unlucky enough to come from Norwich.If you had wrote,"the shooting of game is illegal in England,but not in Scotland" then it wouldnt have left you open to being corrected,except by the sheep ******** and the Paddies.Thought i had better put some facey kind of things too as you seem to be quite fond of them. :rolleyes::oops::yes: :yp: :P

and what is wrong with norwich chap? you do realise that your avatar shows you wearing a skirt :lol:

I guess it just bugs me people treating game birds like vermin, and also the almost encouraging of young vermin shooters on here that pheasants are quarry you can shoot out of your pigeon hide etc.

Your shoot sounds like a nice one, similar to a few of the ones round here. I was on a nice family day on saturday and some of the guns were the sort who do a serious amount of game shooting and have done for years so there were some very good shots made. A couple of them own 6000 acres round here between them nice if you are born into it and yet mix with the beaters and are friendly with it. We I think finished with about 200 and half that was on one rather special drive. Lots of fallow and muntjac a few too many if you're working a GWP in heavy brambles she kept meeting them too close for comfort.

al4x

I have no truck with anyone who inflicts unnecessary suffering, I fail to see how shooting pheasant with an appropriate rifle will do this.

Respect for your quarry or any interpretation you want to put on this, is down to the shooter, and in the shooters mind. Respect in this sense is man made, and tradition dictates a shotgun for pheasant shoots. There is no tradition of any tool in areas where Game birds MAY have to be removed for pest control purposes, or simply rough shooting with your rifle and an available pheasant turns up! A pheasant doesn't give a **** if you shoot it with a shotgun or rifle as long as it is dead, wounding may cause it some discomfort.

I also have respect for tradition and would never consider taking ANY rifle to a Pheasant shoot.

Conversely, if I'm out with a rifle rough shooting and a pheasant turns up, I have no intention of turning down the opportunity simply because I don't have a shotgun in my hands!

ATB!

Actually YOU stand corrected! Its not illegal in Suffolk (and one or two other county's, of which I can't remember)!!!! :D

and what is wrong with norwich chap? you do realise that your avatar shows you wearing a skirt :lol:

I put lucky for the Norwich dwellers,and unlucky for the rest of the world fella as i knew there would be non believers in how great Norwich really is.I mean,we cant all have cooking gurus embarrassing our team and shouting"where are you,where are you?" like dear old Delia.I do believe you have a skirt wearer as the boss of the team too,but im sure you would prefer a morris dancer.And that photo was taken last week when the temperature was minus 12.Its our usual cold weather gear. :good::P

Actually YOU stand corrected! Its not illegal in Suffolk (and one or two other county's, of which I can't remember)!!!! :D

Please confirm who stands corrected now as there are claims you are a confused individual who is mistaking game for fowl.Ill use a few exclamation marks too for extra effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

Yup just found this!

Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare.

No game may be killed or taken in any county on Sunday or Christmas Day.

Before the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays were made under sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954. Those still in existence are in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 local authority re-organisation):

Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

Edited by aliengravy

Why on gods earth would anyone want to kill a game bird with a rifle? What satisfaction would you get from it? Surely using a shotgun is the most sporting way to do it?

Legal or not shooting any game bird with a rifle should be completely frowned upon in my opininon.

I dont mind shooting vermin birds with a rifle as Its way easier and more humane than using a shotgun in my opinion!

I think you've answered your own question there, chap.

In my opinion it is abominable that you should use live birds of any species as target practice for fun.

LS

I think its been a good debate make a change for one not to get derailed by the idiots or turn into a slagging match.

I ask the question earlier do deer shooters who shoot pheasants with rifles shoot muntjac with shotguns if they get the chance or is that a no no? cheers john