Fox bag

Hubertus

Well done btw

I havent been there (neither shooting nor at the meeting point). My girl friend was there.

But it wasnt a drive. It was just stalking and sitting in high-seats.

Here are really many foxes because many hunter dont shoot foxes while they are stalking for boar or deer.

And another reason is: we are not allowed by law to do lamping which is quite effective.

And because of the many foxes they made that fox week.

Hubertus

the reason we dont get bags like that over here is because we've blown up most of them so there are not as many to get!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

I'm only joking i hope im not offending you Hubertus

you are probably right beatingisbest. We have much more foxes probably then in your country.

And we have less birds then in your country aswell...

Hubertus

A small lowland estate 2 miles from Perth had a fox shoot 2yr ago and had 18 and last year 13 Ithink,but def double figures.

This is true with fox drives.

The local gun club im in organise fox drives every sunday, bags are between 2 and 40, depending the area we are doing. I go out most sundays with them and big bags of foxes are common.

We use some fox hounds and beagles and suround woods and rough cover with guns who wait for bolting foxes, the action when foxes bolt can be very adrenalin rushing indeed. ;)

I have allways wanted to take pics of our bags, but cameras are baned in our shoot because of an incedent that took place some years back.

An undercover animal activest took pictures of the bag and printed them all over the front cover of anti mags :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not good. :P

Edited by Frank

Here it is the same, hunters who are stalking for deer or boar do not shoot foxes, I don't mind! Each fox I see I shoot. And from experience new foxes are taking rapidly the place of the dead ones. On our shoot in the Ardennes we shot 31 this season (26 dog fox, 5 vixens) also lamping forbidden. The hunt next to us were saving there foxes for terrier work last week-end, they ended up with 5. Now they are talking also of shooting them all year. :rolleyes:

What is the reason for lamping being illegal ?

in Germany is the official opinion, that artifificial light is unfair to the game. So it is forbidden by law to use it. Same for nighvision scopes.

I dont share this opinion. I have done some fox and rabbit lamping in your country and in my opinion it is effective vermint control.

Hubertus

Hi Foxer,

thanks for the explanation.

Some of them will be used for pelt by the guys who shot them but most of them will thrown away. Its a shame but no one wants the pelts since the antis destroyed the market for pelts end of 80s. They cant be sold.

Think its the same problem in UK!?!

Hubertus

Hurbutus,

why are there such numbers of foxes where you shoot? You mentioned there are very few game birds so whats their main diet?

I lived in Germany for a few years and I never spotted any foxes, loads of them grunnie pigs " scare the s@*t out of you when you starttle them at night" but no, never seen any fox.

When a bag like that is taken, how long does it take before the fox population recovers?

Just curious.

The PM

Hurbutus,

why are there such numbers of foxes where you shoot? You mentioned there are very few game birds so whats their main diet?

I lived in Germany for a few years and I never spotted any foxes, loads of them grunnie pigs " scare the s@*t out of you when you starttle them at night" but no, never seen any fox.

When a bag like that is taken, how long does it take before the fox population recovers?

Just curious.

The PM

Hi PM,

there are still more foxes then enough. Remember: the bag was taken on 9 estates, the size is probably 6 or 7 thousand hektar. Thats one fox per hundred hektar. That is nothing!

They eat anything they can get here. Mice, birds, hare, roe kids and so on. A friend shot three nights before a fox with half of a mallard in his mouth (he has a lot of water and waterfowl on his estate).

Hubertus

• 2 weeks later...