How many are sticking to the shooting ban on the woodie?

Shotgunny

Only ban here is unicorns and chequered zebras.

Doc Savage and I are shooting woodies on Thursday; there is a foot of snow covering the area, the rape can not be seen, and the sprout tops are covered in a grey blanket of woodies. I'm off to try and buy two super large pairs of white overalls.

Please don't forget that the reason that we are allowed to shoot woodies etc. is because they are on the open general license because they cause crop damage.

Its nice to get the call and be asked if you can help out with the woodies, rather than driving miles around permissions looking for woodies to shoot. The syndicate shoot may not be the cheapest option, but having a full time, live on the job full time keeper certainly has its benefits.

I'll try to remember to take the camera.

The keeper has reported that the song birds are taking a battering, and he's found many dead. Can we all please do what we can to assist the wild birds during the severe weather.

webber

Today is going to be one of the rare days I shot woodies in harsh condition I have just arrived back home after getting a phine call from a farmer .

I had a recce and to say the birds are damaging the sprouts and ajoining rape field is a understatment I have never see damage like it.

So I will keep you updated today will be about crop protection rather than having a sporting day out.

Cheers OTH

Today is going to be one of the rare days I shot woodies in harsh condition I have just arrived back home after getting a phine call from a farmer .

I had a recce and to say the birds are damaging the sprouts and ajoining rape field is a understatment I have never see damage like it.

So I will keep you updated today will be about crop protection rather than having a sporting day out.

Cheers OTH

Arent sprouts at the Button stage this time of year, pre harvest ? are the woodies really doing damage by taking the sprout tops off ? Or do they eat whole sprouts ?

Just interested to know, :yes: having no experience of sprouts around here other than on my allotment.

FM,

You are correct, sprouts have stopped growing by this time of the year and the pigeons are eating the top foliage which the plant no longer needs to grow. :good:

I have several fields of sprouts at the moment with thousands of birds on each and the farmers aren't bothered about them being there. They are more concerned when they switch onto their winter fodder crops....Kale, Fodder Rape and Fodder Broccoli.

Mark.

FM,

You are correct, sprouts have stopped growing by this time of the year and the pigeons are eating the top foliage which the plant no longer needs to grow. :good:

I have several fields of sprouts at the moment with thousands of birds on each and the farmers aren't bothered about them being there. They are more concerned when they switch onto their winter fodder crops....Kale, Fodder Rape and Fodder Broccoli.

Mark.

Thanks for answering that question Mark. :yes:

Shot a fair few woodies yesterday and was surprised at how good a condition they seemed in, we have had it bad for nearly a month now, yet the birds have obviously not suffered greatly if at all, plus I had farmers on to me, what am I supposed to say oh sorry im not shooting them Im observing an uneccassary and purely voluntary ban , you had best get someone else? :hmm:

KW