.22-250

wildfowler.250

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone on here could give me some info on the above caliber for me please? Now I have a .270 which I usually use and also a .223. My Dad is starting to get into the stalking as well and I have been pondering a new gun for a while. It is a gun for roe I'm needing...reds won't come into it. I thought about a .243 but I have all the .22 cleaning rods ect so I'm reluctant to change.

So my questions are...how much flatter shooting is the .22-250 compared to the .223,(ie effective on roe out too...? Assuming I can shoot it accurately). I believe it carries more punch? and as I will be buying factory and not shooting a lot of rounds barrel wear shouldn't be an issue.

All thoughts are very much appreciated. I have yet to have any problems with the .223 but I thought the extra punch, range and flat trajectory can only be a bonus.

Ps I'm in Scotland,(just to keep things clear).

ATB :good:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never owned a 22-250, fired a few, heard a few more, and been out shooting with a handful of people with them.

Yep, it's flatter shooting and carries a bit more grunt than a .223, it's also loud.

I've dropped Roe on the spot out to around 230 yards with the .223 (not tried further), if I want more I just use my .243.

Choice is yours of course, personally I have found no need to get a 22-250, ammo choices available mean a 223 and then .243 cover pretty much all the bases for me!

ATB!

Thanks for the help Dekers! When you say it's loud, is it worse than the .243?! I can live with it being louder than the .223.

Cheers! :good:

It is noticeably louder than a .223! :yes::yes:

It probably is louder than a .243, but I can't say I can ever recall being out with an unmoderated 22-250 and .243 together to compare.

I have certainly been out with both separately, and whilst they are both loud unmoderated, I have been left with the impression the 22-250 may just make that bit more noise.

A moderator would be more than useful in many situations on a 22-250! (and a .243, etc) :good:

I'd have the 243...

22-250 is a known barrel burner, at least with a 243 you can choose between lightweight varmint bullets pushed around 4000fps (22-250 vel) or some heavier options to prolong barrel life should you wish...

Not to mention it's deer legal etc etc

Mine is fairly quiet.... Changing from 22cal to 6mm cleaning equipment is going to set you back no more than £30 as your 22cal rods will also work in the 243.

Edited by garyb

22.250 being barrel burners can nowadays can be avoided dramaticly. it doesnt have to be shooting at silly hot loads.

The steel used in the making of barrels has improved greatly over the years so has the powder and primers. its very likely the the average shooter will get years of use from using a 22.250

the use of slow burning powders,not heating the barrel through firing too many too quickly,keeping velocity to a sensible speed and keeping the barrel clean will prolong barrel life.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, the 243 can do everything a 22-250 can and then some...

There's nothing in it compared to noise, or the ammount of powder used.

And that fact that the OP mentioned stalking, means if I had to choose between a 22cal or a 6mm 243 for shooting deer, I'd take the 243 all day long.

Edited by garyb

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, the 243 can do everything a 22-250 can and then some...

There's nothing in it compared to noise, or the ammount of powder used.

And that fact that the OP mentioned stalking, means if I had to choose between a 22cal or a 6mm 243 for shooting deer, I'd take the 243 all day long.

:good::good:

My feelings, and experience as well, hence my comments above.....

"Choice is yours of course, personally I have found no need to get a 22-250, ammo choices available mean a 223 and then .243 cover pretty much all the bases for me!"

22.250 being barrel burners can nowadays can be avoided dramaticly. it doesnt have to be shooting at silly hot loads.

The steel used in the making of barrels has improved greatly over the years so has the powder and primers. its very likely the the average shooter will get years of use from using a 22.250

the use of slow burning powders,not heating the barrel through firing too many too quickly,keeping velocity to a sensible speed and keeping the barrel clean will prolong barrel life.

I see no point in buying a 22-250 if you do not intend to use it for the reason it was developed, performance in the field.

If you don't want it firing at fast speeds then get a 223. The whole point of a 22-250 is it's ballistic performance, if you don't want that, then I see the thing as pointless, get a 223, don't buy a 22-250 and downgrade the ammo! :no::hmm:

We are, as so often, dealing with the I have syndrome here, which is also prevalent in many other threads.......

I have a 22-250

I have a .222

I have a Hornet

I have a WMR

I have a .....

I love it it's great and the best and only gun you will ever need...

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

The 22-250 has it's uses, they are limited if we are specific, but if you really need it for something it is good at then get one, but for various reasons a .223 and particularly a .243 can be more versatile/useful/practical/etc!

ATB! :good:

I am refusing to buy any more factory ammo for the 22-250. When I first started shooting it, I was paying £14.50 a box of 20 Federals. It's now around £25 That's over a period of only 3 years.

I said in the other thread - If you want a rabbit pie, buy a .223, if you want a sock, buy a 22-250.

I'll grab you some graphs, but it's super flat shooting.

Edited by Billy.

I am refusing to buy any more factory ammo for the 22-250. When I first started shooting it, I was paying £14.50 a box of 20 Federals. It's now around £25 That's over a period of only 3 years.

I said in the other thread - If you want a rabbit pie, buy a .223, if you want a sock, buy a 22-250.

I'll grab you some graphs, but it's super flat shooting.

Have you tried PRVI PARTIZAN in your rifle? I load my own rounds (around 49p each) but also use PRVI (50p each) It's excellent in my rifle, and personally, I can't see or tell any difference between them and my home loads.

My mate (digit) uses it all the time, and he swears by it. (He's had 'one or two' foxes with this ammo too!)

Have you tried PRVI PARTIZAN in your rifle? I load my own rounds (around 49p each) but also use PRVI (50p each) It's excellent in my rifle, and personally, I can't see or tell any difference between them and my home loads.

My mate (digit) uses it all the time, and he swears by it. (He's had 'one or two' foxes with this ammo to!)

No, I've not tried it. I hardly shot my old 22-250 as I just didn't get on with it. (Heavy barreled CZ550)

Yesterday I picked up a Remington 700 and I'm just after a few more reloading bits and a decent scope. Once I've got the scope on it, I'll start testing the ammo market, but I really want to go down the reloading route to know what I'm firing each time and to avoid the worry of accuracy when buying another box of ammo.

I use a Tikka T3 22.250 for fox. It is a super rifle and, with the Reflex T8 moderator fitted, it is very quiet but then becomes very heavy. Take the moderator off and it is very noisy!

Super accurate and suits me fine for foxing from the top of my landrover - but it has its limitations.

If I was buying again then I would go for the .243.

Edited by Grandalf

Saying they are "barrel burners" is what most people say that have read things on the internet and have no real experience of them say.Any calibre is a barrel burner if you push the boundarys with reloading.

I think the 22-250 is the best round for shooting foxes bar none.Zero it correctly and it takes all the gueswork out of shooting as it is flat and fast,you just aim at the fox in all but the extreme range cases(ie over 300 yards)

Having sang it's praises i wouldnt get one for a deer rifle as there is better options out there.

Thanks for all the replies...made for some interesting reading :good: I have the .270 as a deer gun. I thought the .22-250 would be a slightly faster and flatter shooting gun so for roe deer I thought that could only be beneficial to the .223. I have to say I bought a new tikka m55 the other day,(not long after starting this thread) so bambi and Charlie will have to watch out :yp:

Billy, graphs would be excellent! Especially to give me an idea of drop beyond 200 yards :good:

I may try and source some privy and see how they shoot in the gun. The long range crows won't know what hit them ;)

Thanks again for all the input! If anyone has any other thoughts then I will be interested to hear them :good:

i got a 22-250, a nice gun, if you want one then get one, as for noise it doesn't seem any louder than my mates 223 on the range. They have a reputation as a barrel burner, but so do a lot of others but it doesn't seem to hurt the sales figures. Look after the gun and it'll do you for quite a while. good luck with it anyway.

Thanks for the replies :good:

I don't like the .22-250, just a personal thing but while it can be more powerful than a .223 its not by much and it can be fussy about its ammo. All these things have a price to pay and .223 is so easy and so forgiving why put yourself through it?

I have heard the twist rates on the gun can be slightly annoying. I think ideally,(in the future) if I could reload something like a 75 grain Amax at around 3300 fps then that would give a very good BC :hmm: I don't think I will ever shoot enough rounds to wear out the rifle but I think a rebarrel to a 6mm br would be sweet :yp:

ATB!