Any martial artists on here?

death from below

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say having got to purple belt in Wado ru many moons ago I find Wing chun far more spiritual and satisfying on so many more levels than karate. I suppose it has a lot to do with my reasons for taking up practice again. As a teenager I wanted to be able to look after myself but it also was a bit of a poer trip - now I'm just after added fitness as well as a meaningful hobby with like minded bods (a bit like PW I suppose).

judo as a child , same form of karate as MM whilst at uni and kick boxing for a bit in australia.

for the past ten years....................... nothing!

so soft as #####

the onlt thing i practice at the minute is marital arts.

Or marital aids......buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :hmm::rolleyes: :blink: :lol:

I have been painting battlefield scenes for many years now studying originally under Grand Master Ar Tee Cher.

My favourite style used to by Bru Shon Paint but under new instructor Bline Das Batt i have developed styles including Pa Let Nife.

I struggled with the St And Oop style taught to me by master Pees Art Ist and now only practice Ap li Color combined with the See Ting Down position

Ian.

Started with Judo as a kid and continued for quite some years, even got in the Rochdale Observer for wining a comp :-), I thought it was a great sport.

At 16 did Muay Thai for a number of years.

After putting myself in hospital for 6 months following a race crash at Cadwell Park I have done nothing for the last 12 years apart from a boxing comp 2 years ago organised by my friend (longsdale belt holder and fought for a world title no less) between 30 mates.

After 3 rounds I thought my heart would explode, I won my first heat on points but refused to progress due to a bad case of unfititus/iamtoooldforthiscrap.

Officially too old, unfit and too much metalwork in me now.

Started with Judo as a kid and continued for quite some years, even got in the Rochdale Observer for wining a comp :-), I thought it was a great sport.

At 16 did Muay Thai for a number of years.

After putting myself in hospital for 6 months following a race crash at Cadwell Park I have done nothing for the last 12 years apart from a boxing comp 2 years ago organised by my friend (longsdale belt holder and fought for a world title no less) between 30 mates.

After 3 rounds I thought my heart would explode, I won my first heat on points but refused to progress due to a bad case of unfititus/iamtoooldforthiscrap.

Officially too old, unfit and too much metalwork in me now.

I know how that feels

I did judo as a kid and eventually ended up teaching and as chairman of the club,also taught womens self defence etc,then had a break for 3 years whilst i was doing night school,when that finished i wanted to study some other form of japanese art so took up kyakoshinkai karate (full contact),got to be one of the senoir grades brown belt,entered competions etc,won some (got the trophies) lost some :blush: but the common thing with all of em is it HURTS LIKE HELL and as you get older it hurts more and lasts longer,but as the way of that style is NEVER give up fighting you just keep going,but when i got to 38 after 23years i just couldnt keep up :blush: my last grading i had to do,i ran for 5 miles bare foot in the rain,100 push ups in a minute,100 sit ups in a minute,etc,etc,all the katas up to brown belt,then had to fight 20 men one after the other (kumite),after i quit i toured round other clubs,kung fu/ju-jitsu/kick boxing/korean karate,all of which had there good and bad points,the kick boxing was very similar to what i used to do and had some good fights in their clubs,but of all them the kung-fu was the most impressive,most of the other styles were able to hit me and be hit by me,but the kung-fu chaps were not phased at all no matter how hard i hit them and always had something to come back with and not just a trading of blows :no: and had a lot more to their form/style.

I t gives you great confidence to know that if needed you can deal with most situations,but however good you are there is always someone quicker/stronger than you,when you can keep that man at bay then you have cracked it :hmm:.

If i could do it all again,i would study one art and that would be kung-fu,just because you would be in total control of deflecting attack and if or how much hurt you put on your attacker :good:

Edited by vampire

Boxed in the Army for a few years (assisted coaching after), got into kick boxing for a few years after that.

Qualified;

ABA assistant coach

Arrest and restraint techniques instructor

Public order and personal safety instructor

Taught self defence for about year also :good:

Also a black belt in Feng-shui and an Origami instructor :yp:

It was a way of life for me for years, trained up to 6 days a week until I got injured. Did Hap-Kun-Do (five animal styles). Gave up really because my then master went off to Hollywood playing Batman in the fighting scenes, in the Batman movie. I did carry on for a while, and even though my master still owned the club down in Camden, training was never quite the same with his number two.

My legacy (joke) continues though, I got two of my younger cousins into it, one is now an instructor in Win Chun and the other has stop instructing and does cage fighting. Both have taken it to a completely different level, the latter having gone and lived with the monks in China. Very proud of them both even if I do worry a little about the cage fighter getting injured. Above all else they are both genlemen and have never abused their gift.

My two girls have done Win Chun for 7 years now. Very happy dad!!

Edited by Cosd