Springer or Cocker

billytheghillie

Looking for a dog to replace my cocker spaniel. I would really like another cocker, but i would have to pay for it. On the other hand i have been offered a springer pup when they are ready free of charge.The springer comes from an excellent pedigree and i know the breeder really well.Is there much difference in these breeds? All comments welcome.

Thanks guys

Out of my two Springer and Cocker..The Springer is far more biddable , less resistance in training and generally more trustworthy . May as well take the freebie as the end product is in the training I guess , physically not much difference in the field both perform the same...maybe the Cocker has more stamina but the Springer ain't going to be no slouch and may hit cover better . But every dog is different and individual

It would definately have to be a springer for me. I think they are a lot easier to train and a lot bolder in cover im sure the cocker men will disagree. Good luck with what ever you get :good:

i like to think its all in the breeding and training. my one lad wouldn't hunt cover but now i spend all my time pulling thorns out of him as he hits cover very hard. my bitch is the same and keeps cutting her head as shes trying to get to pricked birds. cockers will hunt cover harder than springers as its what they were first bread for, hunting woodcock in tight places.

to the OP, you need to ask yourself what you want the new dog for. if its for pulling geese around and hares then its got to be a springer but if its for duck, phes and parts and you know the traits already for a cocker then i would just look for another.

im a bit bias as i love the characters you get in cockers. mine are so differant to each other.

I am a springer man through and through, but this year i have seen the best and worst of both breeds. I had the pleasure to watch a guy who is 76 year old bring a cocker on, and also watched a much younger man chase after a springer after every drive. I will always have springers but every so often i have the notion of getting a cocker, once i have springers nearly mastered i will get myself one, just cause i like a challange!!!

Just read your original post, offered a free springer from good lines!!! I know where i'd be getting my dog from!!

Edited by GW80

• 3 weeks later...

Just though i would bring this back up as I have been mulling this over for a long while

I have seen more springers work and people telling me cockers can be head strong, sneaky etc

Is there really much difference in the training of the two ? or like already said the line must have more bearing

Edited by Tom&Dexter

All the members of my family and syndicate have always had Springers and they have always been good workers. I trained my first springer a couple of years ago and she has turned into a cracker, although she was from good lines I got her free because she was trained from my dad's dog and a mates dog. I think I would like to try training a cocker in the future, but for the minute I will keep this line going.

One thing you need to consider is that if this is the 1st dog you'll be training, do you want to spend big money on it? I think the best thing to do is to take the free springer and at least if you mess up the training it will not have cost you a load of money.

hi i have had both springer and cocker the springer was a bitch easy to handle, would hunt thick cover on demand , my cocker is headstrong he will hunt in thick cover but only when he knows there is a bird or rabbit to flush, he is a real thinking dog and when in the mood he excells, but he can also be a sod, , both cracking dogs but i would go for the springer if he is free of charge.

cheers geoff

great for the original post but to what I said is there really that much difference to the two, there are head strong highly strung dogs in all breeds.

I on the other hand wont be getting either free unfortunately

sorry for my ignorance but what dog have you got now?.and what sort of standard/use will you be wanting of a spaniel?

We have had several of both in our family over 4 generations. The breeds are similar as you know in disposition and temperment.

If its a an all round dog you want for wildfowl game and rough shooting the Springer would be Ideal and couldnt be bettered. A well trained and maintained animal will work all day and have the flexibility to retrieve both heavy wildfowl and pheasant consistantly.

Cockers on the other hand generally being of lesser stature will struggle with larger game after a while and do tend to lose a little interest when they get tired. However they make a brilliant walked up or hide dog infact probably nothing better for small game.

Cockers are also very friendly animals and easily spoiled, they will often attach themselves to one particular family member and seek them out for affection if kept in the home. The last Cocker I had was as soft as putty even though it was from triple field trial winning stock, and rather got used to the attention. :lol:

As you know Cockers are endearing little blighters but a free Springer is a gift horse really if you are looking for a solid working dog.