monsters on the beach......................

MM

So, as Mrs MM is a bit under the weather, i thought id take the kids for a walk on the beach for a few hours. As the tide began to drop, and the bucket filled with shells, we ventured a little further along.

jellyfish001.jpg

jellyfish002.jpg

jellyfish003.jpg

but then the girls started screaming like they had seen a dead easter bunnie.......................................

jellyfish005.jpg

the beach was full of large jelly fish. Im not talking dinner plate size here, im talking MONSTERS!!!

jellyfish008.jpg

jellyfish007.jpg

The one im holding weighed about 20 kg's with some others being twice as big. Anybody know what type they are, and why so many dead on one beach?

These are BIG and unseasonal, I have seen the sea full of these up here but not before juky and august. Beware as one species or perhaps several of them can give a painful sting, Lions Mane I think was the painful one and certainly when hauling lobster pots in any degree of wind the stinging tentacles blew every where and were extremely sore around the face and eyes.

Blackpowder

its a barrel alright, no sting on these at all, had you been lifting a lions mane, you would most certainly have known about it, Ive seen one of these drop a diver to the seabed, quite litterally, get a sting off one of these and its nasty.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Damn, Beat me to it. Barrel Jellies.

(I only remember the name as we used to get them in the port at Whitehaven, and they used to terrify me as a child)

you a whitehaven lad? i can remembe i was mackrel fishing on the pier once and hooked one the hooks pulled out but when i was tying a new trace on later that day i bit the line with my teeth a got a mouth full of stings!

you a whitehaven lad? i can remembe i was mackrel fishing on the pier once and hooked one the hooks pulled out but when i was tying a new trace on later that day i bit the line with my teeth a got a mouth full of stings!

No, not quiet.

I used to work on several of the Tallships that used to come to your Maritime festival, and I kept seeing the jellies there, which rekindled some childhood memory of fear of the dam things, which I hadn't seen in years.

Mmmmmmm, dinner. :drool: :drool:

I went to the chinese cash and carry to buy some squid for fishing when I noticed some packets of dried jellyfish on the shelf next to the beef jerky, I thought the hell with it, I am trying that. :crazy: I am not joking when I say it tastes like chicken. :yes:

When I am around that area again I will buy some more :drool: :drool:

Mart,

You can eat most things, the real question is

Why on earth would you want to? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You got that right :lol: I cant see that next to my steak and mushroom pie.

I went to the chinese cash and carry to buy some squid for fishing when I noticed some packets of dried jellyfish on the shelf next to the beef jerky, I thought the hell with it, I am trying that. :crazy: I am not joking when I say it tastes like chicken. :yes:

Im sure they are still there if you want to me post you some. :lol:

sauce on that mate ???