Are truck drivers born stupid

DSPUK

Wife was coming home today down A41 in Shropshire - stuck behind tanker that was doing legal 40mph - behind the tanker - like 2ft as they always are was another truck - - that was it - NO one could pass so she thought not far up road is a hill with two lanes up and one down I will get past there - out she goes only for truck in front of her to cut her up and now we had a truck race - neck and neck they went all way up the hill till the lanes merge sign - - So what is it with truckers or ******* as I call a lot of them that one being passed can't just back off a bit to let the other dim wit past - If there are any trucker on here a logical explanation would be really nice especially if you was one of the dim wits on A41.

dave

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of the worst driving i've seen is by truck drivers giving no thought what so ever to passing vehicles.i've also had a few road rage incidents with some of the idiots of which i'm not very proud of as i'm normally very hard to wind up but nearly getting run off the road seems to press my buttons

Having met a few and been personally driven by one from this very forum I can't say I have had a bad experience of truck drivers. Whore murdering aside that is :oops:

As said above some of the worst driving I have witnessed has been performed by artics but normally on eastern Block plates, no doubt caused by the 12 families of illegals rolling around in the back.... The over taking thing does wind me up but I have heard that some trucks may be limited at 56 and others at 54 and the need to pass in order to reach deadlines etc means they are going to try and pull past the slightly slower units no matter how long its take.

The one good thing about trucks is that they can see a hell of a lot further down the carriage way and will change lanes accordingly well before us humble car drivers which can be used to aid good lane selection when someones being a muppet well ahead.

Ever tried driving a HGV for 52 weeks of the year restricted to 56MPH max tight deadlines EG if you miss your loading slot you got to take it back .Which means the rest of your drops you have to pull them four pallets off to get to the other loads.

Taking your foot of the gas could make you have to drop right down though the box it a whole lot diffrent to your car driving I could go on.

Cheers Cookie

Ever tried driving a HGV for 52 weeks of the year restricted to 56MPH max tight deadlines EG if you miss your loading slot you got to take it back .Which means the rest of your drops you have to pull them four pallets off to get to the other loads.

Taking your foot of the gas could make you have to drop right down though the box it a whole lot diffrent to your car driving I could go on.

Cheers Cookie

Rubbish it's just selfish ignorant lorry drivers who think they own the road. I'm currently getting 120+miles a day of these slow overtaking tossers on the A14. There is no excuse for blocking the road for miles to gain about 60ft. Boils my ****.

As usual, there are good and bad in all walks of life.

I've come across a lot of very courteous, considerate class I and II drivers who live up to the old moniker 'knights of the road'.

I've also come across a few nasty pieces of work who use their 44 tonnes to bully and intimidate other road users which simply isn't on. I've often thought 'not so tough once I get you out of that cab sunshine!'.

Or theres the old 'I see that you were coming at a good speed, but now I'm going to deliberately pull out on you and make you perform an emergency stop'

As I've employed a lot of LGV (and NLGV) drivers over the years, I simply will not tolerate rude or dangerous driving from them, and if there's a 'hows my driving?' number, I report any incidents immediately via hands-free.If there's no number to call, I get wife/someone to look up the company and speak to the transport manager, quoting reg no. and incident. If the TM is not interested, I report any dangerous driving to the police.

I also phone up and report any driver who is being especially considerate! Fair's fair.

The old 'slowly crawling by' overtake is a tough one. You can start an overtake with nothing in the mirrors and apparently making good ground on the 'overtakee' when there's a sudden headwind or the gradient steepens and suddenly you're barely making ground. As the driver in that situation, you feel awkward to say the least and really don't need some impatient a-hole to be giving you grief about it from a car behind.

If most car drivers went out in anything bigger than a 7.5 tonner as a passenger for the day, they would understand a lot better what Goods Vehicle drivers have to contend with.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by The Duncan

Rubbish it's just selfish ignorant lorry drivers who think they own the road. I'm currently getting 120+miles a day of these slow overtaking tossers on the A14. There is no excuse for blocking the road for miles to gain about 60ft. Boils my ****.

60ft? If you have one sticking to the limit (40mph) and he is loaded you are losing 16 mph, if you are on the same route for a long time it makes a lot of difference, you have to cut these guys a bit of slack, most people are doing short trips most of the time and moan about being stuck behind a guy who may have to drive 300 miles and has been out all week. He just wants to get his job done!

And remember, if you are in your car, you can wait a bit, it is a lot easier for you to get by!!!

Well said, I totally agree :good:

I've had an LGV license for about 17 years, although I don't drive a lorry for a living, just as part of my part time job. Unfortunately most LGV drivers think they are the only ones who should be on the road. They always seem to be gesturing other drivers or giving them verbal abuse. They constantly pressurise other drivers and are far from courteous to other drivers. I've confronted a few in my time (only to ask the question "whats you problem") and when they realise they aren't the only ones with a license to drive these vehicles they seem to back down, and I suppose that they don't think anyone would dare to confront a roughty, toughty lorry driver so are a little taken aback when you do. I suppose it is easy to shout and gesture at people when they are sitting high up in the cab of their lorry, it is different when someone is stood at the door of their truck asking what their problem is :lol::lol:

Personally I find white van man worse. Only yesterday while driving in Lincolnshire the brainless retarded driver of a LWB van decided it would be fun to force his way up the inside and force me into the oncoming lane. Complete muppet.

Edited by Bagsy

60ft? If you have one sticking to the limit (40mph) and he is loaded you are losing 16 mph, if you are on the same route for a long time it makes a lot of difference, you have to cut these guys a bit of slack, most people are doing short trips most of the time and moan about being stuck behind a guy who may have to drive 300 miles and has been out all week. He just wants to get his job done!

And remember, if you are in your car, you can wait a bit, it is a lot easier for you to get by!!!

Yes 60ft, one doing 55mph and the other doing 56, creating a enormous snake of traffic that is all backed up and tightly packed whereas in front of said lorries all you can see is empty road for miles.

Of course all the other traffic has no deadlines, they're just sat on the roads for fun :rolleyes:

Whats worst a slow moving HGV or a speeding car :hmm: .

Lets face it we have nearly all cane around in our younger days does it get you to work earlier err NO.

Its all about being fluten when driving more so in a HGV take a chill pill and tuck up behind the HGV and have happy thoughts .

Cheers Cookie

Truck drivers don't have the monopoly in stupidity in my experience....women applying make-up while driving;drivers on mobile phones;boy racers doing 70 in a 30 zone;another one on the back wheel of his R1 down the main street on a Saturday afternoon just for the 'look at me';another young lad turning over the trailer his tractor was towing(right outside the local cop shop!)retired chief constable running into the wall of a village pub(drunk)got out and said;'think I can walk from here'! :lol: LGV driver reading a book while on the M6;reps so close behind you can't even see their bonnet ........drive a truck for a living,believe me,****** are universal.

To put in in prespective if the lorry drove at the 40MPH max for a 25 miles it would cover the distants in roughly 37 mins

If you done the same 25 mile trip at 60MPH it would take 25 mins .

And on the other hand if the driver of the HGV was doing a 150 mile trip .

AT 56 MPH it would take 2HRS 40mins

AT 52mph it would take 2 HRS 53mins

So overtaking that HGV going four mile a hour slower could be the diffrents in making a delivery slot or not.

So there are two sides to story as always and nether will yield to there own selfish views and needs or job needs.

Cheers Cookie

Impatient and ignorant car drivers who think they are Royalty boil my **** :rolleyes:

Undertaking, overtaking on bends because they are in a rush, hog the middle lane on a motorway and wont move over :angry:

Lorries take ages to overtake, theres a reason, so stop being so narrow minded, and be a bit more patient :good:

It's the traffic wombles in there 4x4 that cause the wagon drivers to overtake.

Why do they sit at 50mph all the time :hmm:

very true :yes:

And when you get half way past them, they speed up and match your speed :blink:

Eventually when you do get past and back into the inside lane, they then put their foot down and overtake you :unsure: amazing :rolleyes:

M27/M3 northbound junction this morning; weekend drivers! Astounding lack of comprehension of what was happening on the road, crossing four lanes of traffic for no reason at all speeds. Look ahead. if the car in the 3rd lane has its brake lights and right turn indicator on it means there's a problem ahead, don't just accelerate up to it and make matters worse. White van man and 4x4 with speed tyres (aka Chelsea Tractors) please take note.

Yes 60ft, one doing 55mph and the other doing 56, creating a enormous snake of traffic that is all backed up and tightly packed whereas in front of said lorries all you can see is empty road for miles.

Of course all the other traffic has no deadlines, they're just sat on the roads for fun :rolleyes:

I quite agree.The A14 all the way from Brampton to Kettering is a terrible place for HGV's who insist on over taking when at best they're only doing 2mph more and they normally pick their moment while comming upto a hill so end up with 2 dozen cars stacked up behind them for what seems like ages.In local paper a while back Cambridgeshire Police announced they were going to be cracking down on such drivers.

I achknowledge that truck drivers have deadlines to meet,but so does everyone else.