Join or renew with BASC and spread the cost!

David BASC

or cancel and pay by credit card get some cash back and cost the organisation far more, it was so close to being a very good idea and well implemented. I can however understand from a business perspective that there must be a concern if you make it as easy as paying in one lump that cashflow will be a serious concern. Once again saying *****ks to members when you don't like an opinion is interesting.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Offering dd not only makes it easier on the member but it also encourages new recruits to join AND makes cashflow more predictable over the year. Not only that but consider the saving in not having to send out multiple renewal reminders and then possibly follow up so as not to lose members. People who pay by dd don't think about it. If they are happy they just let it roll on.

Lemmee see:

1. Encourage new members;

2. Reduction in cost of renewals;

3. Reduction in admin costs of credit card payments;

4. Predicatable cashflow;

5. Be seen as forward thinking and willing to help memebers in a recession;

6. Ability to redeply resources no longer needed in chasing renewals

Loads more I am sure....... but what would I know..... I am only an accountant.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah but the cashflow gets hit hard if a high percentage of the March renewals suddenly pay £6 rather than £66. It will be a cash rich organisation but it would impact if it was too popular

true, but only initially and then only if all the cash was budgeted to be spent within a quick timeframe.

Since my first post its interesting to see all these views about the dd charge and to be honest, (even though ive now joined the quarterly dd) i agree.

It does seem wrong to charge a fee for taking the dd option.

Im wondering if the fee is more aimed at recouping the interest they are losing on 66 over a year rather than covering the cost of a dd charge to them.

When i signed up i have to add the charge was clear and at no point did i not know about it, but it still doesnt stop me thinking after reading these posts that the charge is inappropriate considering more people would be likely to join and in the process cost them less than processing single payments each year.

Since my first post its interesting to see all these views about the dd charge and to be honest, (even though ive now joined the quarterly dd) i agree.

It does seem wrong to charge a fee for taking the dd option.

Im wondering if the fee is more aimed at recouping the interest they are losing on 66 over a year rather than covering the cost of a dd charge to them.

When i signed up i have to add the charge was clear and at no point did i not know about it, but it still doesnt stop me thinking after reading these posts that the charge is inappropriate considering more people would be likely to join and in the process cost them less than processing single payments each year.

Interesting thought but I doubt the interest lost would amount to anything material, particularly since they are spending the dosh on campaigning so are unlikely to be able to get any decent interest rates on term deposits.

why? car insurance isn't increased for the cost of the DD it is for the cost of credit. Drawing the funds from a credit card I would suggest is the most expensive way of receiving money for BASC, indeed I can pay by card and get 1.5% back on the transaction that I assume means the handling costs them more than that. Rolling DD's at a low rate mean more people will join and also that more people will just leave it as it isn't a significant cost so the plus points of membership retention are high. There is an element of it which is principle and another side that usually paying by DD gets you a discount not penalized. I know on my fuel bill I get 10% off because its easier for them to process

I think this amounts to the same thing Alex but by different routes. A single tranaction of the full amount due by DD is as you say free.

My car insurance costs more if I opt for the monthly installments, which are paid by direct debits. Agreed, the loan is from a different company who pay my premium for me, but at the end of the day the deferred payment costs money. Hire purchase or credit in various forms has been the route taken by the less comfortably off for years. Putting it on the credit card is cost free if paid up by the end of next month or so but if we spread it out over 10 months it's going to cost substantially more than £6 I think.

There were many members asking David to implement this - now he's getting grief for it.

£6 for the credit being spread over 10 months ain't bad to be fair surely? My membership is up for renewal soon and like many I am struggling to afford it at this time. Last year I had bad money problems which meant I had to put shooting aside over the winter - I also put the BASC and SACS membership renewals aside too and started them when I again started shooting. The option to only have to find approximately 10% of the funds next month appeals to me even though the total amount costs a couple of pints or a packet of cigarettes more - though I don't drink or smoke so thats possibly a poor analogy.

I think this amounts to the same thing Alex but by different routes. A single tranaction of the full amount due by DD is as you say free.

My car insurance costs more if I opt for the monthly installments, which are paid by direct debits. Agreed, the loan is from a different company who pay my premium for me, but at the end of the day the deferred payment costs money. Hire purchase or credit in various forms has been the route taken by the less comfortably off for years. Putting it on the credit card is cost free if paid up by the end of next month or so but if we spread it out over 10 months it's going to cost substantially more than £6 I think.

There were many members asking David to implement this - now he's getting grief for it.

£6 for the credit being spread over 10 months ain't bad to be fair surely? My membership is up for renewal soon and like many I am struggling to afford it at this time. Last year I had bad money problems which meant I had to put shooting aside over the winter - I also put the BASC and SACS membership renewals aside too and started them when I again started shooting. The option to only have to find approximately 10% of the funds next month appeals to me even though the total amount costs a couple of pints or a packet of cigarettes more - though I don't drink or smoke so thats possibly a poor analogy.

I do not think the insurance analogy is valid. With insurance you are buying a service. With BASC, NRA, SACS, NGO, SGO subs you are choosing to give an organisation your money so they can campaign. We may well benefit from the end result or we may not depending on the effectiveness of the organisation chosen and its input on your type of shooting.

We cannot instruct BASC on how to spend the membership fee. They may or may not canvass the membership for opinion but at the end of the day I cannot say here is my money and this is what I want you to spend it on. What we are saying is that I think BASC is a worthy cause and deserving of my dosh. There is no contractual obligation for BASC to provide us with anything specific for our money.

Don't get me wrong, I do think BASC is a worthy cause but I already have NRA, RSPB and soon to be BTO membership. I think the main thing BASC will achieve with this penalty fee is to alienate a portion of existing membership and possible future members.

I understand that David is busy and thinks it a waste of his time to research other membership organisations that charge fees for paying by dd...... but surely someone at BASC would have doen the research before maiking the decision so it should quite literally be as easy as opening the right file on the network.

All this over four quid. BASC do provide a service,they will provide you with legal advice,help in legal fights if they can,provide insurance,help to organise leases etc for land perchase and rent,offer advice on any subject related to shooting. I find it hard to believe that people will be put off by having to pay a tiny amount extra for their membership. You could always cancel your RSPB membership then at least they'll have less to buy the land that many people used to shoot on.

Edited by Terry P

All this over four quid. BASC do provide a service,they will provide you with legal advice,help in legal fights if they can,provide insurance,help to organise leases etc for land perchase and rent,offer advice on any subject related to shooting. I find it hard to believe that people will be put off by having to pay a tiny amount extra for their membership. You could always cancel your RSPB membership then at least they'll have less to buy the land that many people used to shoot on.

+1

webber

great news David. Make payment a lot easier for many people. Shame that people are keen to jump all over anything basc and for no particular reason find a 4pound charge over 10 months big enough an issue to write short essays and lose sleep over. :rolleyes:

Edited by Albertan_J

Joined BASC today and spread cost as £66 to find when all at once is hard to justify, when other insurances etc are cheaper, but advised BASC is so much more than just insurance, they also do a member get a new member prize draw so put someone down from here.

You say you are an accountant

At the shooting show I was asked if I wanted to pay by dd or in full. I opted for dd. At no point was it explained to me that this method would incur extra charges.

All i can say is i am glad you are not my accountant and sorting out my tax returns! If you could not ask the questions or read through the paper work and figure out that you where paying £4.00 extra on top of the £66.00 One off Payment.

Unfortunately for me my renewal was due last month and unfortunately for me had to pay in full. I the same as a lot of people in this country am a bit short of cash at the moment and very glad that BASC are giving these difference payment options so we can enjoy our sport with the knowledge that we are insured and organization fighting our corner, Carry on the good work David and BASC.

Guys

I have been around the mill a few times and you will note my first question was How Much does it cost.

For many paying in a lump sum may be hard, everything seems to be going up in price at an alarming rate today, so staged payment can relieve the short term pain, although this commonly costs more in the long term.

But I feel many of you are missing the point, I personally do not necessarily feel that the extra cost is the main point here, although it most certainly is for some, and I have seen organisations taking a higher % for staged payments, it is simply the fact that this has come as a surprise to some and was not made clear at the time.

I expected it, it seems others didn't, lets not throw a hissy fit at the £2-£4 or whatever extra, look at the bigger picture, certain organisations have had to pay out £100000000s for giving poor advice or not explaining properly!

BASC needs to be upfront and responsible to it's members, WE ALL HAVE A CHOICE, we can go elseware.

Simple as!

I don't think it is petty. It is all over BASC paperwork that direct debit is their preferred method of payment but it is not until you reach the second last screen on joining online that you are told that you will be penalised financially for using their preferred method of payment.

At the shooting show I was asked if I wanted to pay by dd or in full. I opted for dd. At no point was it explained to me that this method would incur extra charges.

To be perfectly honest most business bank accounts charge between zero and 18p for receiving money by direct debit so for ten payments it would cost at most £1.80. To be honest I am surprised we are even having this conversation. This is a membership organisation on a recruitment drive ....... Can't believe they are trying to charge for dd's.

I asked earlier if David could supply details of any other memberhsip organisation penalising their members for paying for dd..... still waiting for a reply.

Don't bloody well join then,

If paying £4 more to be a tight**** and spread the payments is too much then don't pay it. Don't join and don't receive the benefits.

Jesus Wept some people seriously need help

Its not the £4 thats the issue its the principle, monthly DD would be very good for membership retention and you could almost just make it keep rolling on. Its a big plus point most give you a discount for selecting dd as it simplifies a companies workload and is cheaper than say cheques or card payments to administer. Obviously once its come to light that there is a penalty for doing so it wasn't ideal for the rep to just say ******** to you all

I can only assume that something else is going on here rather than the modest issue of paying £4 to get 10 months of credit. Yes it could perhaps have been initially more obvious the charge is there and I'm sure it will be ammended in the fullness of time, but the final signing indicates the extra is being paid so there is no deception. For £4 a year the proof will be in the pudding. More people will be able to afford to support the organisation that seem to be the best placed to protect our shooting interests across the board. Yes the organisation will be better funded to speak for us in this world of constant sniping about shooting live quarry.

It's a winner all round for most of us.

Edited by Dave-G

All right all right, keep your Alans on!

Blimey already, there's no pleasing some people :rolleyes: They've offered another method of paying which will make it much easier for many and now your on their case for the sake of £4?

Stop flirting with each other and pay the man :good:

For those fretting over the £4. Just think of it as buying one less copy of the Daily Mail a month.

It's pennies extra a month, but helps people who can't afford to pay £60 in one hit.

..I wonder if any of the £4 complainers smoke :rolleyes:

Edited by Billy.

I feel for David, I don't blame him for his frustration.

Members have whined about spreading the cost of joining for a while now, BASC have gone to the trouble of setting it up and now that isn't right either.

I personaly dont think the charge will stop people from taking the dd option. I noticed it and just decided to pay quarterly to reduce the charge.

I dont agree with being charged for a dd but end of the day its not worth complaining about because without the dd option i wouldnt have been able to get the membership.

I think a lot of people seem to be much more upsett not by the charge but when it was first offered to them they were not clearly made aware of the charge upfront. Obviously buying from the site this is not the case. It is clear and obvious so its up to you if you want to pay it like i did.

Steve