Toooo many Bussards

Yeoman

While ploughing a 10 acre field i noticed quite a number of Bussards appear

some on the furrows ,some on the hedges and some on the headlands.

After i'd ploughed out and started to plough the headlands i stopped

to have a count up and could not believe my eyes TWENTY FOUR :yes: 24.

Surely this is not natural to have such a large amount of birds of prey in such a small area :no:

and feeding on worms too !

Daughter has just pointed out the correct spelling for BUZZARDS :D

Edited by Yeoman

I had lived, worked, fished and shot in the Border country side all my life and it was not until I was in my mid thirties that I saw a buzzard. Now they are everywhere, a menace to anyone rearing game, release pens and cages are ready made restaurants for these birds and I think they can well scare and scatter poults right off your shoot. I have seen 14 in the air at once over a small river valley. What can you do about them, nothing!

Blackpowder

I watched the lapwings next on the fields behind my house last years and a dozen buzzards walk around the fields looking for lapwing chicks all summer not a one survived the need controlling i even saw one fly across the M60 in eccles manchester the other day

Mark

It's getting as crowded here as it is in France with them. When I crosses france by road last month, from the champagne region all the way north to the coast, every field along the peage roads had a buzzard sat a few metres from the autoroute on a fence post, almost as common as rooks.

I watched the lapwings next on the fields behind my house last years and a dozen buzzards walk around the fields looking for lapwing chicks all summer not a one survived the need controlling i even saw one fly across the M60 in eccles manchester the other day

Mark

Mark M62 J11 Birchwood about a mile towards Manchester, there's normally a couple of Buzzards sat on the fence either side , they are quite common now . :yes:

We have anything up to a couple of dozen round here - they seem to be more keen on scavenging than taking live birds, although I know that they go for poults and small rabbits s well. I chased one that took off with something in its talons [i was on a Gator] to try and see what it had. Anyway, it dropped it and it was the remains of a long dead pigeon, probably not picked up after a roost shoot. As soon as I went off, the buzzard swooped down and retrieved its snack.

We had two red kites around a couple of years ago, both with transmitters on - was told that one had come from Wales and the other from the north of England but after a while they moved about 15 miles south from us and we have not seen them here since.

Its all down to the bloody Nature Britten or whatever it is could they keep on reintroducing things and they think aren't we clever never for one moment giving a thought to people who have to put up the the bloody things. There is a lovely old Mansion just up the road from me its been getting vandalised as its been left empty for a few years I was walking the dog up there the other day and sow a chap in with a clip board so I went and asked him what was happening to the place he said that they have wonted to start work on it for the past two years but its got bats in it so they had to wate for them to be relocated they hope to start work soon good init.

Its all down to the bloody Nature Britten or whatever it is could they keep on reintroducing things and they think aren't we clever never for one moment giving a thought to people who have to put up the the bloody things.

I think you'll find that Buzzards are native to this country.

Unlike Pheasant.