basc insurance

Punt Gun

I recently had an accident and had my Forefinger amputated. it is to my dIstress to find out that our personnel injury provided by basc only puts a value of 600 pounds on a loss of a limb. Everyone should read page 32 of their policy and see the percentages given for different injuries.

Is there anything I can do to appeal this insult.

Or any action I can take, as thought it is basc policy to have its members best interests as their prioity

I predict a flurry of posts advising that if you had only been a member of an alternative field sports organisation, perhaps one biased more to the north, then by now you would be languishing on a sun kissed beach, a six figure sum in the bank and your wound being dressed daily by Angelina Jolie.

Seriously though, the insurance offered by all these types of organisations is primarily 3rd party liability. The personal accident insurance is a "sweetener" that is tacked on to provide a small measure of compensation for such a loss as yours.

Without knowing the details of the incident/accident that led to the loss of your finger if there was someone other than yourself to blame for the loss, it might have been more advantageous if they were a BASC member at least you would be assured that you would get paid out on any legitimate claim.

Mr Potter

BASC like others is a 3rd party liability policy.It would be similar with your car insurance etc.

Was it your fault or a 3rd party?

If you are a concert pianist or similar a forefinger in these terms is not seen as a material loss etc.

I am sorry you lost your finger.

ATB

I always thought of it as 3rd part liability, protection of other people and property.

So did I.

Not quite the same thing, but about 35 years ago I lost the end off my left index finger in a machine that I was working on.

I was paid out £47. It was sufficient to buy the suit that I got married in.

webber

I am sorry to hear of your accident, I wasn`t aware of this part of the insurance and TBH, the insurance is only an asideas I joined because of the work they do to stem the tide of attacks on our sport.

Edited by henry d

No compensation will make it any better, it is the fact that basc advertise for a loss of limb as 7500 then the small print comes into play.I thought they would be providing their members with a decent Policy, at least one that matches the big advert on their web page.

Would a £20,000 pay out have helped you refit your home and vehicle in order to help you cope with the loss of this limb, and the hardship it will now cause in your daily life? :oops:

my mummy always taught me to read the small print before handing over the cash or signing my name :yes:

i joined for 2 reasons

neither to do with me getting money if i get hurt while shooting

how did your accident happen?

your fault, someone elses?

Edited by TJ91

No compensation will make it any better, it is the fact that basc advertise for a loss of limb as 7500 then the small print comes into play.I thought they would be providing their members with a decent Policy, at least one that matches the big advert on their web page.

Is a finger classed as a "Limb"? Surely not! :blink:

C'mon... How'd you do it?

Is a finger classed as a "Limb"? Surely not! :blink:

C'mon... How'd you do it?

it is to people who want mor emoney

but not to any other person

limbs are arms and legs

i fear we will never hear what happened, if it were me and i lost a 'limb' i would be telling,

maybe its an embarrasing story :hmm::lol:

Limb forefinger I fail to see much of a correlation between the two. Proportionally if I compare the size of my fore finger to my leg i'd say you were eligible for about £4.50 :good:

As said its generally for third party liability if you want a personal accident policy then buy one :good:

Come on Punt Gun,

Tell us how you did it? I am betting it was your fault, if not then can I suggest Injury lawyers 4 U?

They will get you what the injury is worth (According to Sky TV anyway)

A finger is not a limb, it is a digit.

No compensation will make it any better, it is the fact that basc advertise for a loss of limb as 7500 then the small print comes into play.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but there is no need for small print coming into play, as you put it.

You tell us the policy says £7500 for a loss of limb (arm, leg), but you have a loss of digit (finger, thumb).

I really don't understand what your issue is here, other than maybe a misunderstanding of terms on your part? ???

I predict a flurry of posts advising that if you had only been a member of an alternative field sports organisation, perhaps one biased more to the north, then by now you would be languishing on a sun kissed beach, a six figure sum in the bank and your wound being dressed daily by Angelina Jolie.

Mr Potter

I think not matey. They're all pretty much the same in that department, N, S, E or W or even in Essex.

So no BASC bashing topic here I'm afraid. Anyway, me and Mark have been nice to David lately :good::D

Punt gun, dish the dirt then - how, where, when? :yes:

Edited by DaveK