Who live's in a whole like this ?

stumacher

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think It's rabbits, and the tunnel used to be two tunnels very close together, that collapsed into one, I'm guessing this from the 'Keyhole' shape.

Your best bet forward would be to look for local slots and scat (Big sloppy scats dug into holes will be badgers).

You could also try reaching into the hole (carefully!) and feel about for fur, (Telling if it's a rabbit is easy, but guessing between a Badger/Fox is a bit more tricky).

Lastly, you can put your nose down there a give it a nice big wiff. You should know what rabbits and foxes smell like. If it smells similar to foxes but stronger than it's possibly a badger, though I highly doubt it in this sort of hole.

If it's near a public picnic area I would put my money on Yogi Bear or Boo Boo so let the Ranger know as they have been told to stop stealing pichernick baskets :P ! :P

On a serious note, as has already been pointed out I would rule out badger as the footprints look like they only have 4 toes and claws and a badger has 5 - On top of that if it were badger I would expect to see signs of old bedding that has beed dragged out regularly as badgers are fastidiously clean animals and change their bedding on a regular basis!

Forget all about a "Big Cat" or even a Feral Moggy, the footprints show the claws out and a cat retracts it's claws when walking.

What does make working out what animal it might be is that we can not see anything that puts the size of the hole into perspective, could you tell us roughly what size it is. Are there any signs of scats or remains of food (Bones or feathers) nearby, they might well give you a clue.

The key to all of this is observation!

2nd vote for a Gruffalo. :good: its never been a hole for a badger its far too big, Ive seen em squeeze through a hole 2 inch in diameter :blink:

Yes I am sure you have :hmm: :hmm:

I bet you have fairies at the bottom of your garden as well :no: :no: :no: That is the stupidest thing I have ever read.