Driven shooting

stuart21

Hi all,

I am extremely proud that I own a SGC and that I shoot, and I do talk about this to most people and I always promote shooting and justify why I do it.

However, I was thinking last night about justifying what I shoot: -

- Clays - Good fun and good practice

- Vermin - They are vermin and they destroy crops, trees, habitats etc and spread disease

- Rough shooting - One for the pot, small numbers shot, pests reduced and game eaten

I have been semi-driven shooting once, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will continue this year, however when looking at the various days available, I can't quite justify it to myself. Millions of birds bread for shooting, many of which are shot in high numbers, many of which are not shot and introduced to the countryside. I know that the money this puts into the economy is a important factor, as that the birds are eaten, however I do not think those reasons alone justify it.

My next door neighbours young 'vegetarian' children asked me the other day, why I have a gun and I explained to them why and also what I shoot and they both said "that's interesting", however I am struggling to justify driven days.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Stuart

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I am extremely proud that I own a SGC and that I shoot, and I do talk about this to most people and I always promote shooting and justify why I do it.

However, I was thinking last night about justifying what I shoot: -

- Clays - Good fun and good practice

- Vermin - They are vermin and they destroy crops, trees, habitats etc and spread disease

- Rough shooting - One for the pot, small numbers shot, pests reduced and game eaten

I have been semi-driven shooting once, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will continue this year, however when looking at the various days available, I can't quite justify it to myself. Millions of birds bread for shooting, many of which are shot in high numbers, many of which are not shot and introduced to the countryside. I know that the money this puts into the economy is a important factor, as that the birds are eaten, however I do not think those reasons alone justify it.

My next door neighbours young 'vegetarian' children asked me the other day, why I have a gun and I explained to them why and also what I shoot and they both said "that's interesting", however I am struggling to justify driven days.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Stuart

same reaon you shoot clays?

for a day out

bit of banter with friends

they get eaten

i dont really shoot driven gamne but i can see why people enjoy it

I get those points TJ, but I'm not convinced that it justifies the whole process.

it justifys it in my eyes

i know alot of people will disagree with me but then i know people who disagree with me for shooting pests/vermin

i think we all justify things in different ways

its good to hear that you are wanting have a good reason and not just go out and 'shoot em all'

someone with respect for quarry

top man :good:

''I have been semi driven once and really enjoyed and will do it again''......make yer mind up pal.

Whatever shooting you do you justify it to yourself and you do it.

Driven shooting is about friends/day out/traditions/food/sport/countryside mananagement/beating/dog work.In varying degrees to different people.Now which of those parts can you not justify as a shooting man?If you cannot then don't do it..maybe though defend the right of others who can to do so?.. Simples.

The thing is it is not like conscription you don't have to do it if you don't fancy it leave it to those who do want to do it but remember this it leaves odd phesants around the countryside for you or me to shoot on our couple of acres of rough shoot. There are lots of things in life like in shooting that I don't agree with but I don't try to get them banned thats the antis that have that intolerant attitude I practice live and let live because I know all the questions but I don't know all the answers. YIS. :shoot::stupid::ninja:

Are you a sleeper troll?

You don't have to "get" it. Those who participate enjoy the whole day experience. If you are not well-versed, don't defend it and own up to not knowing enough about it. Personally, I find clay shooting tedious, but I "get" that other people enjoy being scored and graded.

Different strokes for different folks.

It's a difficult one, I personally feel uncomfotable shooting something that has been bred soley to be shot for sport(I know they are eaten but as it's such a convoluted and expensive process that the fact that they are eaten is just a by-product of the sport). I like the feeling of hunting for free range meat whilst helping protect crops and habitats, and the challenge. Sometimes driven shoots can appear to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

But I can see the appeal and the economic benefit of driven shooting, and if the birds have been well cared for and have had a better existance than many farmed poultry then why not, it's just not for me.

Sometimes driven shoots can appear to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I'd like to know where?

Personally this topic always brings out those who have never been driven shooting and just imagine what its like. For those of us who have grown up beating and shooting you appreciate it isn't canned shooting, that participants usually want the more sporting and challenging birds and its very similar to pigeon shooting that lots do for "sport" except its slightly more predictable numbers wise.

One interesting thing is I've seen worse things on small rough shooting syndicates than I have on reasonably big days.

I'd like to know where?

Personally this topic always brings out those who have never been driven shooting and just imagine what its like. For those of us who have grown up beating and shooting you appreciate it isn't canned shooting, that participants usually want the more sporting and challenging birds and its very similar to pigeon shooting that lots do for "sport" except its slightly more predictable numbers wise.

One interesting thing is I've seen worse things on small rough shooting syndicates than I have on reasonably big days.

I have been to, but not shot at, several driven shoots and sometimes looking at the line of guns I could have been at a clay shoot...except with more tweed.

I'm not judging anyone else and, as I said I can see the appeal, I just don't do it myself (More to the point I couldn't afford to if I wanted to). Each to their own, as long as you enjoy it and can shoot responsibly and safely then great.

Flashman - I have no idea what a "sleeper troll" is and yes I do think you have to "get it". I like to justify to my self, what I do.

As I have already stated, I will continue with driven shooting this year, because I thoroughly enjoyed the day, the people, the dogs, the countryside and the shooting.

By reading these comments, there are many more reasons to justify driven shooting, so thanks for your opinions.

Surely if you feel you need to justify it to yourself and can't, then really you shouldn't be doing it?

I personally can justify my shooting to myself as I enjoy it, I don't get windsurfing and as such I don't think I would enjoy it and therefore don't do it.

Also I do not think there is enough time left in the world to justify golf :oops: , but people still do it.

"because I thoroughly enjoyed the day, the people, the dogs, the countryside and the shooting".

I think that you answered your own question.

I don't care to shoot down the line clays, so I don't do it. I know people who prefer it to anything else, and thats their choice.

The only person that I need to justify my shooting activities to is Mrs. webber, as I'm very fortunate, as she pays for most of my shooting. It gets me out of the house and from under her feet.

If you'd seen the state of her feet you'd want to be from under em as well.

webebr

"because I thoroughly enjoyed the day, the people, the dogs, the countryside and the shooting".

I think that you answered your own question.

I don't care to shoot down the line clays, so I don't do it. I know people who prefer it to anything else, and thats their choice.

The only person that I need to justify my shooting activities to is Mrs. webber, as I'm very fortunate, as she pays for most of my shooting. It gets me out of the house and from under her feet.

If you'd seen the state of her feet you'd want to be from under em as well.

webebr

any ideas where i can get myself a mrs webber!? :lol:

any ideas where i can get myself a mrs webber!? :lol:

Sorry mate, I think that they broke the mould after casting.

Seriously, I won her as a ten bob bet.

I've been told that I've been happily married for almost 35 years.

Some of the newer models do look quite appealing at times, but as I trained as an engineer, I practice the well known; if it aint broke, don't fix it.

webber

I get those points TJ, but I'm not convinced that it justifies the whole process.

Birds get bred, they get killed, they get eaten.

Do you eat chicken from the supermarket? It's pretty much the same, apart from the fact the gamebirds have a nice free-range life and go out in a blaze of glory, rather than being cooped up in a hut and then hung upside down on a production line to have their throats cut :good:

And therein lies one of the issues.

Trust me with a gun in your hand it's a damn sight harder than standing there thinking you could have hit them all

I didn't mean it was easy, but that it looked similar to a clay shoot. There was no shout of 'pull' but with lots of birds, in this case partridge, comming over the brow of a hill, all from the same direction and at regular intervals it didn't look overly taxing!

I'll get back to my Yurt as I've got some yoghurt knitting and aura healing to do.

ATB

Three hundred thousand of us marched through London in support of the fox hunters. I and, I suspect, most of the others have never hunted a fox on a horse and most couldn't stay on a horse - but still we went. (Three times). It is the country thing. Country sports for country minded people. You don't have to do everything. Just enjoy the ones that you do and protect the rights of others to enjoy theirs.

At the end of the day if there weren't pheasant shoots the birds wouldn't exist in the first place.

They have a nice life and stand a chance of making it thru the season and breeding, free and well fed.

At £35 for a shot bird the financial side is justified even if they don't get eaten they have generated an income far above their worth as a table bird.

How can anyone say it is better if they didn't exist to be shot. It is obvious that by being bred for sport everyone gains, even a pheasant and even if it only has a very short but enjoyable life.

I can't afford to shoot them on that scale anyway, relying on the odd stray for my sport and table.

I've seen worse things on 50 bird days generally, simply because the guns don't tend to shoot as much game and the team of picker uppers isn't usually as good if it exists. If you think about it between 8 guns a 300 bird day is 37 or so birds each and spread over 5 drives at least that is 7.5 birds a drive. Nothing when you compare it to a 100 bird pigeon day to a single gun.

You have to see these days in the flesh to see that they can be a magnificent sight if you are a beater and amazing if you are shooting them. Few people pay good money for poorly presented birds as that is not the aim of the game at all, so people do shoot the better flying higher birds.

Three hundred thousand of us marched through London in support of the fox hunters. I and, I suspect, most of the others have never hunted a fox on a horse and most couldn't stay on a horse - but still we went. (Three times). It is the country thing. Country sports for country minded people. You don't have to do everything. Just enjoy the ones that you do and protect the rights of others to enjoy theirs.

:stupid:

At the end of the day if there weren't pheasant shoots the birds wouldn't exist in the first place.

this is very true and in alot of cases the country side on farms and country estates would not look so nice ie nice hedge rows and well looked after woods .

for me its not really about the shooting its the day out with friends and to be out in the country side :yes: