How often do you clean your gun?

FreeZey

Silver Pigeon - Well cleaned, ejectors, barrels, reciver and chokes every time I use it, air rifle haven't cleaned in 25 years, Haenel 303 is still shooting thoes .22's well, although, a little under powered at 6.6 ft. lbs lol. Nothing has gone wrong with it in all that time mind! :good::good:

Edited by Beretta Italy

C/F rifles are much more critical than most people seem to think because of copper fouling. I clean mine every time but every time they go out they fire anything up to 50 rounds.

And yet at Bisley, this very weekend just gone, my TRG .308 put 10 bulls inc 8 v bulls in at 600yds and 5 v bulls @ 1000. On Short Siberia @100yds before the comps started she was making just one hole! All this and she hasn't had anything more than a pull through with a Bore Snake for 200 rounds... She's now at almost 300 and will be getting a good seeing to at the weekend... not because she needs it but because I feel that I should!

As far as I am concerned (and I'm not alone... read up on the current thinking from the world champs in the states!) there is no need to strip back to bare metal every use, in fact, doing so has the potential to cause more damage than good and considerably shorten barrel life!

Edited by Vipa

New silver Pigeon gets a lovely thorough clean after every shoot.

Usually takes well over an hour but looks like new when it's done.

V

:blink: It is new......

An hour? what are you doing to it? Quick clean 5-10 min, through clean 30 ish for an O/U Surely?!?!?!? :blush:

semi outo gets blasted with wd or any oil i have at hand when it stiffens up i have used motor oil :blush: the rifles geta mega overhaul every 6 months inc bolt to bits cleaned stocks off just because i put so much lead thru them! but normaly cleaned every 3 month or so. the 22 rimfire is a annie so it gets the trigger taken out every month for a good clean it gets a bit stiff if i dont

Bit of OCD here I think, some of you seem to like spending waaay too much time stroking your weapons :blink:

My shotgun gets cleaned about once a year or so maybe twice, it is never put away wet though.

If anyone thinks it won't last long like that it is a 22 year old Beretta and has never missed a beat.

Rifles - c/f once every 30 rounds or so, rimfire - never been cleaned (other then the first half an inch of the barrel so it ejects cleanly)

I clean my browning completly about once a week probably 300 rounds through it, but the externals get wiped down with a oily(Legia) teatowel every time I have used it as I have what we used to call in the Royal Navy rusty fingers anything ferrous that I touch rusts very quickly (with mild steel marks after a couple of hours). I know, it serves me right for being a fat sweaty *******. The others are treated the same except for the semis where the trigger assembly gets cleaned about every 1000 and the rifles when I think about it or accuracy goes off.

Edited by sodit

:blink: It is new......

An hour? what are you doing to it? Quick clean 5-10 min, through clean 30 ish for an O/U Surely?!?!?!? :blush:

Actually it takes me a lot longer to clean my new SP1 than it did/does my old Franchi Falconet, which still comes up like a dream. Having M/Cs is something to do with that of course, but I do find the action, ejectors and that area gets very 'gunky' on the SP1. I think as it's new there was a lot of oil in there. I only oil the choke threads and forend hinge thingy at the moment.

For my SXS every year or so I'll give them a pull though. In fact I did it yesterday spookily enough. They get a wipe down with an oily rag when required to get blood, muck or water off and I wipe the striker plate and lube the nose every now and then. My Benelli semi gets its action wiped out and oiled every sixth or seventh outing, but I haven't given it a pull through yet. I've only had it just over a year though.

My old mate Keith says that anyone who cleans their guns after every outing shouldn't be allowed to own one.

Actually it takes me a lot longer to clean my new SP1 than it did/does my old Franchi Falconet, which still comes up like a dream. Having M/Cs is something to do with that of course, but I do find the action, ejectors and that area gets very 'gunky' on the SP1. I think as it's new there was a lot of oil in there. I only oil the choke threads and forend hinge thingy at the moment.

Must be a Beretta thing my, 525 has no crud round the ejectors or on the breech face. Although i didn't have it from "new"