Canada goose control

kobidog

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because i have been asked to by the farmer as they are doing a bit of grazing.Any goslings i orphan will get fed to ferrets.

for ****s sake, there are'nt even that many Canada's in East Yorks. "doing a bit of grazing" does that really constitute a good reason to cull them out of season ,its what they do, eat, just like breathing, grass grows from the bottom up, a bit of grass gets nibbled ? I know lets go wipe em out coz there stinkin vermin, gotta kill 'em now before the poor old farmer goes bankrupt because of "a bit of grazing". Will you kill the goslings before you feed them to the ferrets? or save a few pennies and just chuck em in with the ferts ? There only vermin after all.

I have tried to keep out of these canada /vermin debates but this one has really wound me up

for ****s sake, there are'nt even that many Canada's in East Yorks. "doing a bit of grazing" does that really constitute a good reason to cull them out of season ,its what they do, eat, just like breathing, grass grows from the bottom up, a bit of grass gets nibbled ? I know lets go wipe em out coz there stinkin vermin, gotta kill 'em now before the poor old farmer goes bankrupt because of "a bit of grazing". Will you kill the goslings before you feed them to the ferrets? or save a few pennies and just chuck em in with the ferts ? There only vermin after all.

I have tried to keep out of these canada /vermin debates but this one has really wound me up

:stupid: id like to no where the canadas are iv not seen any on land i have and im east yorkshire

All gone from one of my permissions because some cowboys spent a day on a grass field with 50+ deeks and blew them to smithereens. Grazeing is not a good reason for shooting them out of season, otherwise you might as well shoot the sheep and cows too as they **** all over fields...... leave the poor things alone to breed and wait till september

Edited by worthy130

Like I said on my original post, it didnt seem like 2 on a pond was a problem that needed dealing with, considering they are probably breeding then they will be gone eventually. I think they should only be shot out of season when there is a problem. Like for instance pigeons......4m pounds of damage a year they need controlling but a couple of Canada's :hmm: I also agree wait till September !

Edited by mpk

Canada geese

This species can be shot throughout the year (i.e. during the close season) in England only under the terms and conditions of specific general licences.

As downloaded from BASC website. I think what people mean by quoting season is when they are nesting. In the same way i will not fish when the Carp are spawning.

What season are you on about.If you can give me dates that you cannot shoot them let me know.Then i will tell the farmer it is illegal and i will not be able to do it.If you cannot what is the problem if it is legal.

What season are you on about.If you can give me dates that you cannot shoot them let me know.Then i will tell the farmer it is illegal and i will not be able to do it.If you cannot what is the problem if it is legal.

If you read the post before yours you will see according to BASC they can be shot all year. So no one is going to be able to give you the dates of a close season because there ain't one. :no:

So no one is going to be able to give you the dates of a close season because there ain't one. :no:

Oh yes there is :yes:

Canada Geese are still classed as wildfowl, and their close season is the same as any other 'fowl species.

Ok i stand corrected about being a close season but all the same according to BASC website they can be shot all year in England. What i put in my previous post was cut and pasted from there website! :hmm: I have just been to BSAC website again and read what it says about geese and have come to this conclusion. There is 4 types of geese named on there site, Canada, White Fronted,Pink Footed and Greylag. Whilst i agree there is a close season for geese it does not include the Canada. As you can shoot Canada Geese all year round in England can someone please explain how they have a closed season. The very words CAN BE SHOT ALL YEAR would sugest to me these are not included in the Geese close season. :P

Edited by blackbirdtrev

Canada geese may still be classed as wildfowl to a wildfowler but they are also on the general licence so may be shot all year round as vermin/pest.

Since they are not a native species shooters "DO NOT" need to satisfy themselves that all other methods of control have been exhausted before terminal means are employed.

Ian.

Canada geese may still be classed as wildfowl to a wildfowler but they are also on the general licence so may be shot all year round as vermin/pest.

Since they are not a native species shooters "DO NOT" need to satisfy themselves that all other methods of control have been exhausted before terminal means are employed.

Ian.

They're actually classed as wildfowl by Natural England, who issue the OGL's. Not just wildfowlers.

Pest species or non-native is irrelevant, in the eyes of the law they are still classed as wildfowl.

they can be shot out all year round on the GL agreed.. but to me its up to the individual if he wants to or not :hmm: personally i wouldn;t even contemplate shooting a nesting pair at the side of any water what damage to farmland are they doing for christ sake <_<

just my opinion i would rather shoot them along with other wildfowl in between sept and feb.

They're actually classed as wildfowl by Natural England, who issue the OGL's. Not just wildfowlers.

Pest species or non-native is irrelevant, in the eyes of the law they are still classed as wildfowl.

They may be classed as wildfowl because thats what they are but technically if they can be shot all year round they technically have no closed season? Simples.

They may be classed as wildfowl because thats what they are but technically if they can be shot all year round they technically have no closed season? Simples.

Unfortunately not that simple at all.

Shoot one seaward side of the mean low water mark in the closed season and you'll be breaking the law. :yes:

I think it is quite simple really, leave them alone until the proper season (sept-feb) whether it is legal or not.Then get out there and give them the respect that as a quarry species they deserve.

The only exception should be if they are causing serious crop damage, not grazing off a bit of grass! even then they should not be shot if they have young unless all other methods have proved ineffective and you are prepared to dispatch any goslings that are left.

And if and when you choose to shoot them make sure you use a suitable gun/cartridge.

This is my opinion not what the law says.

I think it is quite simple really, leave them alone until the proper season (sept-feb) whether it is legal or not.Then get out there and give them the respect that as a quarry species they deserve.

The only exception should be if they are causing serious crop damage, not grazing off a bit of grass! even then they should not be shot if they have young unless all other methods have proved ineffective and you are prepared to dispatch any goslings that are left.

And if and when you choose to shoot them make sure you use a suitable gun/cartridge.

Who said they were grazing on grass.Now that is not on if they are just grazing on grass.

The only exception should be if they are causing serious crop damage, not grazing off a bit of grass! locally to me haylage has been making up to £60 / bale, so grass is a very viable money making crop not to be brushed to the side as a bit of grass! even then they should not be shot if they have young unless all other methods have proved ineffective and you are prepared to dispatch any goslings that are left.do you afford pigeons the same :no: didn't think so

And if and when you choose to shoot them make sure you use a suitable gun/cartridge. what does suitable mean? shotgun + moving target + some luck

Double standards :rolleyes:

Edited by Paul223

Do you have the same opinion about rabbits, foxes, muntjac, crows, pigeons, rooks, jackdaws ect?

They have no closed season

It might just be worth mentioning again that the wood pigeon population in the UK numbers in millions. It is one of the UK`s most successful and prolific birds.It breeds in every month of the year. Each year millions are shot and the population is barely held in check.

On the other hand, the canada population numbers a handful of thousands.If we continue to treat it with the contempt suggested by some on here it will soon be gone.