First Knife Finished

Paul T

Saw some of the knives posted on here and have been very impressed with the craftsmanship :good: .

Then I noticed Alex (Antlerman) was advertising some knife blanks for sale and I thought "What the hell, I reckon I could do something with that". So the blank and brass pins was duly purchased :yes:.

I've got odd bits of hardwood laying about and cut a piece of nicely figured oak from a floor board I had left over and purchased a liner sheet off fleabay for a quid. So essentially I finished up with my own kit.

Yes, I made a few mistakes along the way and learnt some lessons, but really enjoyed making it.

post-23045-0-19961600-1303813935.jpg

Stunning knife Paul you should be very proud of that.

Tell me, do you glue the brass pins in place or hammer the ends to increase the diameter?

I have never done a scale knife but I quite fancy having a go at one.

The pins are just glued in with araldite - no hammering needed. If you look on the assembly pic you can see that the pins have been roughened up on the sides to give them a better key in the epoxy. I cut the pins about 1mm proud of the scale (half a milli each side) and when the epoxy had set I just sanded them down flush with the scale surface.

The hardest part (literally) was working the oak. Being the knotty part it was incredibly hard :yes:

Thanks for the comments Dunkield and everyone else :good:

Crumbs!!- I was thinking the same :yes:

A beautiful job anyhow B)

John :)

It's definitely oak :yes:.

We were fed up with dogs making the carpets dirty so I ripped them up and laid solid oak right through all 3 reception rooms. We bought 'tavern grade' which has lots of knots and heavy figuring (and it was cheaper than decent carpet!). Got plenty left so I just cut a strip from a short plank.

• 2 months later...