shooting game out of season

He will be cooked until crispy and then served in a pancake with hoi sin sauce and cuccumber!

Sorry mate I have no idea though, I have never heard of anyone being caught, and therefore never actually being tried for it! I am sure he had his reasons and I wish him a fair trial.

what is the penalty for shooting duck out of season ?

before anyone starts having a go at me i have not shot and will not shoot any game that is out of season.

Some one i know has been summond to court for shooting a duck.

Don't know, but unless they already have been, you could make a "sensible" offer for his guns before they are confiscated!

Pasted from Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69

21 Penalties, forfeitures etc.E+W.[F112

(1)Subject to subsection (5), a person guilty of an offence under any of sections 1 to 13 or section 17 shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both.].

(5)Where an offence to which subsection (1) F122. . . applies was committed in respect of more than one bird, nest, egg, other animal, plant or other thing, the maximum fine which may be imposed under that subsection shall be determined as if the person convicted had been convicted of a separate offence in respect of each bird, nest, egg, animal, plant or thing..

According to wiki level 5 is maximum £5000 fine.

So worse case scenario 6 months and £5000 for each duck shot, if this is right.

The fine would be bad but think of the issue they will have with their sgc if convicted,,,, :no:

Good point. Also see eg note 12 from General Licence GL-04

12. No person convicted on or after 1 January 2010 of an offence to which this paragraph applies may use this licence unless, in respect of that offence they are either (1) a rehabilitated person for the purposes of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and their conviction is treated as spent; or (2) in respect of such an offence, a court has made an order discharging them absolutely. This paragraph applies to offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, the Conservation (Natural Habitats &c.) Regulations 1994, the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010, the Protection of Badgers Act 1992, the Deer Act 1991, the Hunting Act 2004, the Wild Mammals (Protection) Act 1996, the Animal Welfare Act 2006 and the Protection of Animals Act 1911 (all as amended) (see note i).

so it could also mean no more pigeons, crows etc :no:

what is the penalty for shooting duck out of season ?

Some one i know has been summond to court for shooting a duck.

What type of gun was used?

If it was a shotgun I would assume lead shot was used? Another offence to add, especially if the RSPB have anything to do with it. As far as I know nobody has yet been done for using lead on wildfowl. You never know, your mate could be a test case. :yes: How exciting is that!! ;)

Did it look injured or sick? Was it an accident e.g. shooting clays and one flew out in the path?

Of all the rumours that circulate in the shooting world of wild big cats, 704 yard rabbits and foxes shooting rifles I have never actually heard of someone being sucessfully prosecuted for:

1. shooting game out of season

2. shooting a particular quarry with a non FAC specified calibre e.g. out lamping rabbits with HMR and shooting a fox that runs out with HMR (and not say the specified C/F calibre on the ticket).

3. using lead on wildfowl (sorry Poontang just saw your post).

I would be very interested to know the background and how it pans out.

Edited by Mungler

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know nobody has yet been done for using lead on wildfowl.

Didn't know his name so did a search on this forum;a Simon Quince was prosecuted in May for shooting a Swan last December.He was fined £445 for shooting a protected species,and a further £100 for using lead shot to do it.

What type of gun was used?

If it was a shotgun I would assume lead shot was used? Another offence to add, especially if the RSPB have anything to do with it. As far as I know nobody has yet been done for using lead on wildfowl. You never know, your mate could be a test case. :yes: How exciting is that!! ;)

Aguy was done a few weeks ago , he accidentaly shot a swan , he was using lead , as it was only wounded he took it to the vets , hes been done for 2 offences .

SHOULD HAVE USED THE 3 S's SHOOT , SHOVEL AND SHUT UP .

Dave

Don't ducks have some different status as they can also be "livestock"? i.e. You could dispatch ducks that had reached the required weight out of season and if you choose you could dispatch them by shooting them.

Think the general licence/game season only applies to ducks in the wild rather than livestock. We don't know enough about the circumstances really but would be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by Colster